RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

AWD or RWD F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 07:28 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Question AWD or RWD F Sport?

Living in the snow belt, AWD is the more natural choice one would gravitate to, especially since it is just 100$ more MSRP over RWD here in Canada. However, you do lose out on the rear wheel steering and the 8 speed, but everything else is the same mechanically like VGRS and AVS, with the exception of tires (A/S vs summers). I will have to get a winter set if I go for the RWD...

I believe the AWD is also 100+ lbs heavier, a little thirstier, and apparently rides 5mm higher and does show in pics from the front wheel gap. I'd have to invest in lowering springs for sure here.

Anyone test drive both models and notice a difference in handling, acceleration, tranny behaviour?
Anyone own a RWD and has driven it in snow?
What would you get?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-15, 09:35 AM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only speak to non sport rc 350 rwd vs awd. I test drove the rwd model before I bought because that it all they had on the lot but bought the awd. Six speed is still a lot of gears. I do not think most people I could tell the difference in normal driving on a regular street in a blind test. I have driven my rc 350 awd twice in the snow and feel as comfortable in it as I do in awd rx 300 though it is a different driving experience. Because of occassional snow use for skiing, awd was all I considered.
Old 03-14-15, 09:37 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in the north east USA. i got the awd. the split is 30/70 front/rear so its a little extra and the 2 gears big deal. im not planning on drifting it haha
Old 03-14-15, 09:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks for the responses. When I got my IS, I ended up with AWD and I don't regret it since it's excellent on snow like my previous RX and now NX despite the stock (mediocre) Bridgestone A/S. But I got it only because it was available otherwise I "really" wanted the lighter more balanced RWD. Now on the RC, I'd probably go for the AWD (same price here), but the extra front wheel gap does not appeal to me and I don't know why it's higher on the RC AWD vs the IS AWD (to its RWD siblings). I'll be checking it out in person since pics sometimes are deceiving and the gap might be ok to my eyes.

Originally Posted by weinkaufjr
I can only speak to non sport rc 350 rwd vs awd. I test drove the rwd model before I bought because that it all they had on the lot but bought the awd. Six speed is still a lot of gears. I do not think most people I could tell the difference in normal driving on a regular street in a blind test. I have driven my rc 350 awd twice in the snow and feel as comfortable in it as I do in awd rx 300 though it is a different driving experience. Because of occassional snow use for skiing, awd was all I considered.
Originally Posted by RCdriver
i live in the north east USA. i got the awd. the split is 30/70 front/rear so its a little extra and the 2 gears big deal. im not planning on drifting it haha
Old 03-14-15, 04:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

So I test drove an RC 350 F Sport AWD today and was surprised as to how similar it felt to my IS 250 which on the one hand is a good thing, yet on the other hand not so much. I knew the cockpit is essentially the same except for the door panels, but I expected the 3.5L V6 to feel more powerful than my IS' 2.5. It didn't feel like it under light to moderate throttle input in city driving conditions. The RC was brand new with only 11 km so maybe it hasn't broken in yet...or I just need to rev it more to unleash the power. However, RC's ride quality and NVH were superior, impressive, and very GS-like. which is more important to me than 0-60 mph.

In any event, what did bother me as some members have mentioned in this forum is the large front wheel gap. It's large for sedan standards, let alone sports coupe standards. In fact, I was able to fit my fist in perfectly between the top of the tire and the fender whereas my IS (OEM suspension) barely fits in three fingers. I might just have to order a RWD and wait the 3-4 months or consider lowering springs for the AWD...

RC in Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 I test drove below.

Old 03-15-15, 03:32 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put the money down for an AWD yesterday. I was thinking about getting a rear wheel drive too but being in the northeast, it's probably better to have AWD. Will definitely have to invest on the lowering springs as soon as they are available. It is really ridiculous how big the wheel gaps are.
Old 03-15-15, 07:35 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
So I test drove an RC 350 F Sport AWD today and was surprised as to how similar it felt to my IS 250 which on the one hand is a good thing, yet on the other hand not so much. I knew the cockpit is essentially the same except for the door panels, but I expected the 3.5L V6 to feel more powerful than my IS' 2.5. It didn't feel like it under light to moderate throttle input in city driving conditions. The RC was brand new with only 11 km so maybe it hasn't broken in yet...or I just need to rev it more to unleash the power. However, RC's ride quality and NVH were superior, impressive, and very GS-like. which is more important to me than 0-60 mph.

In any event, what did bother me as some members have mentioned in this forum is the large front wheel gap. It's large for sedan standards, let alone sports coupe standards. In fact, I was able to fit my fist in perfectly between the top of the tire and the fender whereas my IS (OEM suspension) barely fits in three fingers. I might just have to order a RWD and wait the 3-4 months or consider lowering springs for the AWD...

RC in Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 I test drove below.

Wow, what a stunning car. Love the blue color. 99.9 % of the world not notice the front ride height, but easy to slam.

AWD cars are also great in the rain so not necessarily just a winter time benefit. Makes a lot of sense if living up North and using the car as your daily driver.

In the 250 v. 359 performance comparison, there may not be a lot if noticeable difference cruising around town in low rpms. Kick it over into Sport more and rev it up in higher bands and that extra torque and hp should come alive.

My RC F feels docile in normal with the mapping and the programmed gear selections. In Sport mode with manual shift it becomes a beast with a nice growl when reved.
Old 03-15-15, 10:43 PM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corrado you're killing us here...

My wife and I are trying to decide between getting the RC, or NX first, and also looking at the USB.

But here in Calgary, we typically get snow nearly 8 months out of the year, we're just concerned we wont get to enjoy the colour very long before it snows again.

I too was also debating between RWD, and AWD.

I haven't driven either vehicle yet, but would most likely be quite at home with RWD as I have in the past, on winter tires.

Perhaps others with more experience here in the community can chime in to help us Canadian folks out.

Corrado, hopefully you'll be able to make your decision soon.

Also thanks for all the help, in doing so much research, and presenting the community with questions, and findings.
It has really been helping (my family) out with what to look for, and things to consider while looking at these vehicles.
(Our needs have changed, and we are getting out of a 2014 RX350)

Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old 03-16-15, 02:48 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish I lived in Canda just for the good headlights we can't get here in the States.
Old 03-16-15, 07:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

@Kelmin thanks for the endorsement!

Thanks for the rest on your opinions so far. I still have much to think about especially since I'm now also considering the indulgence in the RC F at "only" a 25% premium!