RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 07:48 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
This must be everyone's 1st car with Brembo's. Just a FYI they do dust a lot it's part of the high performance thing, just like the tires wear out faster too

Less dust = less stop or more rotor wear. Not sure I would want to make my car stop worse for a cosmetic reason.
I expect to see even more dust than I see today on the LS460 Sport. Squeaking just reminds me that I have super brakes if needed.
Old 04-26-15, 11:05 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuz125th
Try Carbotech they are great, they sell for street and track. Call Them and ask for Mike JR, very knowledgeable and provides excellent customer service.
Those were the pads I put on my IS-F with great success. I'll check them out early next week and, yes, it's a shame to replace pads with a whopping 250 miles on them but it's worth it.
Old 04-26-15, 11:09 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 6i9
Rather sacrifice clean wheels than brake performance. Most aggressive pads are dusty. Get a regular RC if you can't handle a little squeak/dust. Or a Prius
I generally don't do panic stops from 120 mph, will never track the car, don't street race, etc. I just bought it because of the looks...... I'll get the ceramic pads and have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-27-15, 03:59 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

We are looking into having a couple different pad compounds brought to market right now. The number one choice is to have a batch of Project Mu NS400 made- those have been wildly popular with the IS-F guys for being a performance street pad that emits about as little dust as a brake pad possibly can and it does so without sacrificing the friction levels and characteristics that you expect the brakes on an RC-F to have on the street. The other poplar option is the Carbotech 1521 compound. I believe they have a front pad available but we need to look into the rears.

What do you guys think? Are there any other compounds you would like to see available?

-Matt M.
Old 04-27-15, 04:44 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

A set of NS400's would be perfect!

Old 04-27-15, 09:49 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey, i'm IN just let me know WHICH one you Recommend since you're the Experts!
Old 04-28-15, 12:58 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We are looking into having a couple different pad compounds brought to market right now. The number one choice is to have a batch of Project Mu NS400 made- those have been wildly popular with the IS-F guys for being a performance street pad that emits about as little dust as a brake pad possibly can and it does so without sacrificing the friction levels and characteristics that you expect the brakes on an RC-F to have on the street. The other poplar option is the Carbotech 1521 compound. I believe they have a front pad available but we need to look into the rears.

What do you guys think? Are there any other compounds you would like to see available?

-Matt M.
Sounds like the NS400 would be the way to go if we get the same kind of braking as the stock pads. I'm interested.
Old 04-28-15, 04:38 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

The other poplar option is the Carbotech 1521 compound.

-Matt M.
Hi Matt,

I've used the Carbotech 1521 on the front of my IS-F with excellent results. I can recommend these pads without hesitation.

Joe
Old 05-01-15, 04:03 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Hi Matt,

I've used the Carbotech 1521 on the front of my IS-F with excellent results. I can recommend these pads without hesitation.

Joe
Fantastic! As of now it is looking like the 1521 will be the first available. I can confirm that the fronts are ready for production now and we are working to make the rears available very soon.

For those looking for something they can use a little more aggressively than a 1521 or NS400 we will also be making a couple options from Endless available immediately. The MX72 compound is one of the most versatile compounds available in 2015. It isn't as low dusting as say a Project Mu NS400 or Carbotech 1521 is but it isn't too far behind (it still offers a large reduction in dust compared to the OEM pads). However the feel, friction levels, modulation and and release are second to none in this category. These are a true street pad but have a temperature range that is starting to approach that of some less aggressive race compounds. This means it is capable of dealing with anything from a daily commute to "spirited" street use, canyon carving, autocross events and for some drivers even some beginner to low-intermediate level track use.

We are still working with Project Mu to try and make the NS400 available for the front and rear at a reasonable cost. The regular Type NS is available for the front right now but at roughly $450 it's hard to justify over a Carbotech 1521 for anyone just street driving the car with little to no hard use. Those that use the car more aggressively should be looking at the Endless compounds if they are spending that much.

For now we are starting with Carbotech and Endless because, in our opinion, they are two of the best options available for the RC-F crowd and they are available now. Keep your eyes peeled for a group buy in the very near future. We will continue to push to make the PMU NS400 available but I feel confident in saying they probably won't be available for a while.

-Matt M.
Old 05-01-15, 04:26 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

I would Definitely be interested in a Group buy for the Carbotech 1521! What's their Price for a set without a Group Discount (i mean how much difference are we looking at, if it's not that much i may just go ahead & get'em). Rode around a lil' bit with the wife this morning & it was Embarrassing, she couldn't Believe a Brand New Car's Brakes could Sound so BAD!
Old 05-01-15, 05:16 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I would Definitely be interested in a Group buy for the Carbotech 1521! What's their Price for a set without a Group Discount (i mean how much difference are we looking at, if it's not that much i may just go ahead & get'em). Rode around a lil' bit with the wife this morning & it was Embarrassing, she couldn't Believe a Brand New Car's Brakes could Sound so BAD!
Did you do any brake pad bedding when you got the car?
When I got mine, before I even got on the freeway (bremlo recommendation)
I did 10 easy stops from 30mph to 10mph with 1/2 mile drive between to allow them to cool. Then I did some higher speed faster stops from 50 to 10mph. About 30 of them with 1/2 mile direve between to cool.
Results no bad sound at all. Who says that factory does all that is required. Page 19 of attached might be overkill but I did it anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bremblo brakes USA CATALOGO.pdf (1.46 MB, 355 views)
File Type: pdf
Bremlo Brake Bedding Memo.pdf (29.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-01-15, 05:19 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I believe we are shooting to get it kicked off next week if you can wait, otherwise shoot us a PM and we can work something out with you to get you the pads ordered before then. We are just waiting to hear back on the rear pads since we don't know the cost yet. Front 1521s are looking like they will be $261 but I will need to confirm that my pricing is accurate on Monday.

-Matt M.
Old 05-01-15, 06:42 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

I believe we are shooting to get it kicked off next week if you can wait, otherwise shoot us a PM and we can work something out with you to get you the pads ordered before then. We are just waiting to hear back on the rear pads since we don't know the cost yet. Front 1521s are looking like they will be $261 but I will need to confirm that my pricing is accurate on Monday.

-Matt M.
Thanks Matt for getting back so Quickly! I can wait till then! Hopefully, we can get some guys together to Do this!
Old 05-03-15, 06:02 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake pads may be compatible with the LS460 Sport Package cars… The calipers look the same. They share the same hardware kit… I have some LS460 Brembos sitting on the shelf, anyone want to pull a pad?
Old 05-03-15, 06:12 PM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Centric lists the same pad for both.

Quick Reply: Lexus Brakes - How Quickly I Forgot