RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New owner - looking for mod opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 09:28 AM
MarkSk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner - looking for mod opinions

Hey everyone! I have been quietly lurking in the shadows reading through as many posts as possible to help me decide if the RC F is the right car for me. I had been seriously considering a Maserati Gran Turismo (love the style) but finally decided the RC F was a better choice based on a number of factors (reliability being #1). So last weekend I took the plunge and bought a brand new 2017. While it has only been a week, no regrets on my decision. I don't plan on track driving or street racing. It will be my daily driver (but I still want to get max performance out if it!).

So...I have never done any performance mods to a car. I ride dirtbikes as a hobby and do tons of mods to all my bikes so I thought it might be fun to start doing mods to my new car. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of posts about different parts or mods people have done to their ride which actually makes it more challenging to decide which I should do! From what I can determine, I know I want to do the following mods:

1. Apexi throttle controller
2. Catback exhaust

I think #1 is pretty straightforward and there is a good thread on opinions. Resoundingly positive so this one seems like a no brainer. The one questions I have is around the part numbers. I hear Amazon is the cheapest place to but the unit + harness. When enter my car in the garage on the site, it does not bring up the customized part numbers. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for the controller and harness so I know I am ordering the correct one?

Now on to exhaust. This seems much more complicated! I am trying to stay in the $1,000 to $1,500 range and it looks like there are a number of options. I have seen Apexi, Borla, JoeZ, MagnaFlow, Invidia and more. From what I have read, most people who have selected one of these are happy with their choice but I have not seen an exhaust shootout done by an impartial third party. I would love to see Dynos side by side so it is clear how the exhaust is changing the power delivery. People always ask for dynos when there are exhaust threads but I rarely see them. Does anyone have compiled dynos for each of the main players? I have seen manufacture claims of up to 8% gains in HP. If you don't have dyno #'s, does your seat of the pants dyno feel like there is a big difference in performance?

Also on exhaust; I understand a big part of new exhaust is changing the sound. I think they all pretty much make the car sound more beefy. I believe from a sound perspective, you really can't go wrong.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or would these two things be a great first step?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Mark
Old 02-18-17, 09:59 AM
estoyf
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You really can't go wrong with any of those exhausts. I have the JoeZ and it's slightly outside of that price range you listed but to my knowledge it is the only one where the gains on a dyno have actually been posted. I'm very pleased with it but from the videos I've seen, other exhausts, especially the Borla, seem to be much louder if that's what you are looking for. If price was no problem, novel and armytrix!

Last edited by estoyf; 02-18-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 11:50 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Hey Mark,

As a local enthusiast. We have the throttle controller available for local pick up for a great price, cheaper than Amazon.

Also for catback options. The Borla and Invidia exhaust are great exhausts for your price range. The Invidia being at the lower of the spectrum, sounds great though..

Contact me at 213 394 2886, and we'll discuss parts..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-18-17, 03:48 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I brought the Meistershaft exhaust with the cat back LSR pipes. Adds 46 HP on the Dyno. I feel the difference. Sound is incredible. Totally changes the car. It is pricier than the other options, but check it out before you make a decision. Best mod that I have ever done (and I have a Twin Turbo on my 350Z).
Old 02-18-17, 08:56 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

There's really not a bad sounding exhaust for our cars, so aesthetics played a major role in my decision. I went with the Apexi because of the dual cans. I don't care for the one large can with two tips coming out. They all sound great though...grata on your new car!
Old 02-19-17, 06:28 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLHeel350
I brought the Meistershaft exhaust with the cat back LSR pipes. Adds 46 HP on the Dyno.
Huh??? 46 HP with an exhaust? Did I miss something?
I was under the impression that level of HP could be achieved with an exhaust AND headers.
Old 02-19-17, 12:47 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Huh??? 46 HP with an exhaust? Did I miss something?
I was under the impression that level of HP could be achieved with an exhaust AND headers.
GT Haus advertises 46 HP gains with their exhaust.