RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Infiniti Q60 Red

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 11:39 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
Yeah, I agree, I expected more H.P...but I am guessing they will introduce a bigger engine in an IPL model as they had with the G37. But yes, this is a tempting option for less $$
twin turbos, and adaptive dampers..I am kinda waiting on a MT or Car and Driver test to come out...Of course the 2017 F now has dampers... .
airlaird
Just FYI, The IPL has the same 3.7 liter V6 as the non-IPL G37, just different tune and I believe exhaust. It is rated at I think 350 HP vs 330 for non-IPL G37.
Old 09-18-16, 02:15 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
When I was referring to the Q60 Red Sport being a class below the RC-F and M4, it was in terms of handling dynamics, not straight line performance.
its all good. Not trying to be disagreeable at all. Candidly, I am a bit shocked Infiniti did not do more with the Q60. Is is two years after the RCF and yet it, to me, is 4 year old technology and performance in this class. I personally and not huge on the looks and it would need 450 hp and 450 tq to even tempt me into considering it. Infiniti's lack luster sale will continue in that this car will not penetrate the European performance coupe market for a litany of reasons. The RCF has a muscular, aggressive unique look. The Q60 Red, while somewhat attractive, is a bit boring and looks the same as the granny 200hp version
Old 09-18-16, 08:56 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys the Q60 Red Sport 0-60 will not be as fast as the RCF. How do I know? Because I own a 2016 Q50 Red Sport as my daily driver. Same engine just lighter. And I bought an AWD. Ive raced my car with someone driving the Red Sport and me driving the RCF and vice verse to rule out driver error. The AWD system in the Q50 has LSD. When I went and test drove the Q50 Red Sport RWD it was hard to put the power down because it pulls very hard 0-100 from a dig. From a complete stop 0-60 it takes my RCF because I break traction where the Red Sport AWD is gone. But from a roll 15mph and up the Q50 didnt have a chance. When I drive it on the freeway the Q50 crawls from 90+ mph where my RCF pulls ridiculously hard to 140+. These are two different cars and I use them for different purposes. My Red Sport feels nothing like the RCF and doesnt even compare in terms of quality, driving dynamics, feel, sound, power, and enjoyment (This is a 57k car the RCF is 20K more). RCF is significantly nicer, and in another class than anything Infiniti has. Again the four door model I have is the same as the one that will be in the coupe but the sedan is lighter (same price). The car is underrated from the factory (Dyno attached) and it comes stock with heavy cast wheels and heavy run flat tires. I ripped those off and saved 16lbs per corner of rotational mass. Will be adding downpipes which adds 40lbs of torque and once a ecu tune is available ill do that. Now that I have a baseline run against my RCF which is modded pretty highly. Should be fun to see if it can keep up. But as of now the way my RCF sits, it destroys my Red Sport. Here are some pictures of the offroader (needs a drop):

Old 09-18-16, 09:50 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with Everything you said BUT the RCF is NOT a 77K car!
Old 09-18-16, 10:29 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Agree with Everything you said BUT the RCF is NOT a 77K car!
We are talking about sticker/MSRP price on the car. MSRP to MSRP the RCF is 20k more than a Q50/Q60. Now what you pay is another story. Just like I didnt pay 57k for the Red Sport. But I paid 30k more for the RCF. Who pays MSRP on a mass produced vehicle
Old 09-19-16, 12:01 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
We are talking about sticker/MSRP price on the car. MSRP to MSRP the RCF is 20k more than a Q50/Q60. Now what you pay is another story. Just like I didnt pay 57k for the Red Sport. But I paid 30k more for the RCF. Who pays MSRP on a mass produced vehicle
I didn't, you probably didn't and many of our CL RC F owners probably didn't. But I'm sure that Lexus sold many of them at sticker price. Especially when they first hit the showroom floors. Some people don't care as much about money as other people. Even I am like that in some ways. When it comes to certain things I just pay and don't care if I could have done it cheaper.

Example; I don't usually look at the prices of things when I'm grocery shopping... because I don't care. I just grab what I want and go. If I had more money, I probably wouldn't care about what a car costs either. I'd just pay the sticker and go to get the buying process over as quickly as possible. But unfortunately I'm not that wealthy...
Old 09-19-16, 11:03 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Guys the Q60 Red Sport 0-60 will not be as fast as the RCF. How do I know? Because I own a 2016 Q50 Red Sport as my daily driver. Same engine just lighter. And I bought an AWD. Ive raced my car with someone driving the Red Sport and me driving the RCF and vice verse to rule out driver error. The AWD system in the Q50 has LSD. When I went and test drove the Q50 Red Sport RWD it was hard to put the power down because it pulls very hard 0-100 from a dig. From a complete stop 0-60 it takes my RCF because I break traction where the Red Sport AWD is gone. But from a roll 15mph and up the Q50 didnt have a chance. When I drive it on the freeway the Q50 crawls from 90+ mph where my RCF pulls ridiculously hard to 140+. These are two different cars and I use them for different purposes. My Red Sport feels nothing like the RCF and doesnt even compare in terms of quality, driving dynamics, feel, sound, power, and enjoyment (This is a 57k car the RCF is 20K more). RCF is significantly nicer, and in another class than anything Infiniti has. Again the four door model I have is the same as the one that will be in the coupe but the sedan is lighter (same price). The car is underrated from the factory (Dyno attached) and it comes stock with heavy cast wheels and heavy run flat tires. I ripped those off and saved 16lbs per corner of rotational mass. Will be adding downpipes which adds 40lbs of torque and once a ecu tune is available ill do that. Now that I have a baseline run against my RCF which is modded pretty highly. Should be fun to see if it can keep up. But as of now the way my RCF sits, it destroys my Red Sport. Here are some pictures of the offroader (needs a drop):

Very nice! I had considered the AWD in black just like yours for my daily driver to replace my GS350AWD. Many options out there for 4 door sedan w/ AWD...but might end up with a 7-seater instead for growing family.
Old 09-19-16, 11:09 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Great write up. I've sat in and driven many cars as well. Most cars can't match Lexus' build quality inside and out, so that's not unique to Infiniti. Say what you want about the weight too, but the RCF's chassis is the best. Absolutely zero flex. I think Infiniti is doing a great job, when you consider the car's true competitor, the BMW 440, C Class, A4, Lexus IS, etc. Even though the Infiniti is not on par with the RCF, there are some things I wish the Lexus had like Smart Cruise Control that actually goes down to 0mph and not 25 and All around cameras.
Old 09-19-16, 01:51 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Say what you want about the weight too, but the RCF's chassis is the best. Absolutely zero flex.
This is another reason why I believe the RC F is a great platform for high power. One problem with high power cars is they can put out so much power that they twist the chassis.

I don't see that being an issue with the RC F. Our only hurdle will be the ECU. But it appears that RR Racing is making headway on that.
Old 09-27-16, 02:43 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Went this weekend to see the Q60. It is a beautiful car and pictures don't do it justice. There are lines and bulges that just don't transfer well on camera. The rear end in one of the best in the industry. The interior is ok, not at Lexus level. Still, all around cameras, user friendly NAV, adjustable dampers and full range cruise control are things I wish the RCF had. I do think its on par with 3/4 series BMW, which I believe is too bland. No Red Sport 400 Coupe until November, just 3.0t Sport. This car was not designed to compete with Lexus.

Anyway, looks like Infiniti is pricing a fully loaded Red Sport 400 at around 61-62k with a 0-60 of around 4.6. A fully loaded 440i is priced over $60k, but does 0-60 in 5.0-5.2. A fully loaded Q60 3.0 Sport is around $55-56k and should do 0-60 in 5-5.2 seconds. Strictly from a performance and options aspect, I would definitely chose the Q60 3.0 Sport over the 440i and save about $5k. If performance was on my mind, the Red Sport and 440i is priced the same, but there is a big performance gap. Again, the Q60 Red Sport wasn't designed to compete with the RCF or M4 or C63 or ever the RS5/6. It's somehow sandwiched between entry level and mid-tier performance. I do believe the performance and luxury combination kinda makes it a loaner. It will smack down a 3/4 series or C400 or ATS or even RC/IS350 and even hang with the C43, but beats it in price. The S4 starts at $49k, so that should get you in the ball park. All in all, I am happy with my RCF, but I do applaud Infiniti for the effort. I will return in November to drive the Red 400

Old 09-27-16, 04:49 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Anyway, looks like Infiniti is pricing a fully loaded Red Sport 400 at around 61-62k with a 0-60 of around 4.6. A fully loaded 440i is priced over $60k, but does 0-60 in 5.0-5.2. A fully loaded Q60 3.0 Sport is around $55-56k and should do 0-60 in 5-5.2 seconds. Strictly from a performance and options aspect, I would definitely chose the Q60 3.0 Sport over the 440i and save about $5k. If performance was on my mind, the Red Sport and 440i is priced the same, but there is a big performance gap. Again, the Q60 Red Sport wasn't designed to compete with the RCF or M4 or C63 or ever the RS5/6. It's somehow sandwiched between entry level and mid-tier performance. I do believe the performance and luxury combination kinda makes it a loaner. It will smack down a 3/4 series or C400 or ATS or even RC/IS350 and even hang with the C43, but beats it in price. The S4 starts at $49k, so that should get you in the ball park. All in all, I am happy with my RCF, but I do applaud Infiniti for the effort. I will return in November to drive the Red 400
A 440i coupe base is $48k to 50k and has a mfg 0-60 of 4.6 for awd. The 440i coupes sitting at my local dealer are $55 and $56k.

C43 has an mfg of 4.6.

Q60 base is $51k to $53k and checking all of the boxes made it over $65k.

Unlike Japanese, the Germans tend to be a bit conservative on their mfg 0-60 estimates. Anyone seen real world numbers on any of these cars?
Old 09-27-16, 05:11 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Not the Red Sport Coupe. I'm basing the numbers off the Sedan. Haven't seen a review for the Coupe yet. I played around with the websites and a FULLY loaded 440i was over 60k. Of course you can option one a lot lower, but it won't have all the features the Infiniti has. I still think it's impressive to match the 0 to 60 times of AWD cars, which we know have awesome grip from a dig.
Old 09-27-16, 05:23 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Not the Red Sport Coupe. I'm basing the numbers off the Sedan. Haven't seen a review for the Coupe yet. I played around with the websites and a FULLY loaded 440i was over 60k. Of course you can option one a lot lower, but it won't have all the features the Infiniti has. I still think it's impressive to match the 0 to 60 times of AWD cars, which we know have awesome grip from a dig.
Oh gotcha. I thought I heard the new 340 was real world testing between 4.2 and 4.6 in 0-60.