RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Annoying bad design

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 12:43 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
That's what a car forum is all about, Nice find mjeds! I just checked mine & i can also see a part of the lic. plate also, but i guess it's never bothered me before so i'll just leave her be. I would think that if you adjust it up more to get the lic. plate out of the pic that it's also going to make your view closest to the rear of the car out of the camera. Seems like you'll be able to see a lil' further/higher up, but the view is not going to pick up what is right behind your back bumper like it does now. If that any makes sense!
you can go up a bit as to see the lip of the bumper without losing the view of the area around the back bumper, plus it gives you a bit more site as to what is higher up at the window level.

based on the cameras I have had in my last 3 cars, this one is a bit low.
the electronic adjustment doesn't do much, it has more left to right ability than up and down. a mechanical adjustment would have to be made, like a wedge shaped shim placed between the camera and the body, maybe 2-4mm thick would give enough tilt as not to see the plate, but still the bumper lip and surrounding area.
Old 07-28-16, 05:55 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
I think you need a hug
Hilarious!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-16, 06:01 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Now does this look normal for a luxury car?? It looks like a two year old mounted the camera. It shows majority of my plate. How can anyone's Rcf be any different. The service manager pulled up a brand new 2016 Rcf and mounted my tag on it and it also showed the whole plate
The backup camera is firmly fixed not adjustable.
Suppose I am blind, but I don't see the problem nor do I see the whole license plate. In fact, I cannot even make out a single letter or number on the place. I am thinking a go pro pole sticking out the back end would take any portion of the car out of view, but it is kind of nice seeing the edge of the bumper I suppose if the little beeps and different colored lines aren't sufficient warning that you about to run into something.
Old 07-28-16, 10:51 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never noticed if I can see the plate on the IS-F or not. I know I can see the bumper quite clearly though which is often how I judge how far to backup since it doesn't even have guide lines.
Old 07-28-16, 11:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I never noticed if I can see the plate on the IS-F or not. I know I can see the bumper quite clearly though which is often how I judge how far to backup since it doesn't even have guide lines.
the Rcf has guide lines, actually not that accurate (red displayed stop line is about 2 feet from object in real distance). Seeing the bumper is fine, but seeing majority of the plate is a flaw in design imo... Even though DOUGHII can't read the plate numbers
Old 07-28-16, 01:53 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It doesn't bother me being able to see the plate, and the lighting is fine to me. I use it a few times daily and every night as well. I haven't had a single issue having trouble seeing anything that I needed to see. In fact, I'm so used to it that I back into parking spots at like 10 mph and get a perfect park on the 1st attempt most times.

Maybe mine works better? Maybe my eyes are better? Dunno... but I have no complaints.
Old 07-28-16, 04:31 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
the Rcf has guide lines, actually not that accurate (red displayed stop line is about 2 feet from object in real distance). Seeing the bumper is fine, but seeing majority of the plate is a flaw in design imo... Even though DOUGHII can't read the plate numbers
crap, I really do need glasses if those plate numbers are visible. Getting old blows.
Old 07-29-16, 05:29 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

So, it takes 6 to 7 cycles of the light switch to gain access to the 'hidden menu'. Has anyone tried making any adjustments to the camera? What sort of adjustments can you make and how? I'm just curious, BTW.
Old 07-31-16, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If they move the view forward you will lose peripheral view