RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

why there are so many lexus rc f pre owned for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 03:29 PM
javierrebe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why there are so many lexus rc f pre owned for sale?

Hello

I'm just curious

I noticed that there is a lot of RCF Pre-Owned for sale.

makes me think there is something wrong with it?
because can not be expired leasings from 2015? is only 1 year
and some with 2k, 5k, 8k or 12k miles only.

if some one have a theory or a reason for this other that the guy got home and his wife make him return it let me know.
Old 03-22-16, 04:23 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Great question...I plan to buy one used next year and I am stunned how much they have dropped in a year...my estimates are $13,000 to $17, 000 in just 1 year. (from the initial asking price of $79,000 for the carbon Fiber model. CarGurus has many of them in the going for $57,000 to $58,000 It does concern me. My guess is the initial asking price of $72,000 to $79,000 was balked at. Consumers quickly realized they can get an M4 or ATS V for the same price or less...with much better performance numbers. But again...just a guess
airlaird
Old 03-22-16, 04:33 PM
GGawaran
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airlaird
Great question...I plan to buy one used next year and I am stunned how much they have dropped in a year...my estimates are $13,000 to $17, 000 in just 1 year. (from the initial asking price of $79,000 for the carbon Fiber model. CarGurus has many of them in the going for $57,000 to $58,000 It does concern me. My guess is the initial asking price of $72,000 to $79,000 was balked at. Consumers quickly realized they can get an M4 or ATS V for the same price or less...with much better performance numbers. But again...just a guess
airlaird
I think "much better performance" is a bit exaggerated. The main thing is the weight. HP / TQ figures really aren't too far off. I test drove the M4 and ATS-V before deciding to buy the RCF. Granted I got a really good deal on mine, but have you seen the instrument panel inside the ATS-V it's horrid, at least in my opinion it is.

What I do miss a lot is the third pedal, growing up only driving manual something feels like it's missing everyday.

Had the car been 300 lbs lighter, I think the car would have sold better because not changing anything else that 300lbs would change the dynamics of the vehicle.

That being said with the money I saved (79k to 68k out the door) the money I did save can go to suspension and exhaust items which I think will offset the extra weight.

Interior between the three, the lexus has them all beat minus the touch pad.
Old 03-22-16, 04:43 PM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After coming from a 2011 CTS-V, I'm happy to sacrifice a few tenths of a second for a car that won't be in the shop all the time. In two years of ownership and 14k miles, my car was being fixed for over 8 weeks total. GM didn't care- their answer was that they were sorry the car didn't meet my expectations.
Old 03-22-16, 04:52 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GGawaran
What I do miss a lot is the third pedal, growing up only driving manual something feels like it's missing everyday.
This. Luckily, I still have one car with a manual . Still getting used to quick gear chages with the 8speed. Just not the same control/response.

Originally Posted by GGawaran
Had the car been 300 lbs lighter, I think the car would have sold better because not changing anything else that 300lbs would change the dynamics of the vehicle.
New weight reduction goal for my RCF!
Old 03-22-16, 05:29 PM
javierrebe
Driver School Candidate

Default The question still there WHY?

the question still there WHY?

I noticed too the drop in price that is how I get mine. from 80k for 65k pre owned 185 miles.
my case was a little different the past owner owned a few cars so that is why only 165 miles and
then he changed for a SUV.

but I was surprised for a 15k less price and also by how many RCF are available used.
Old 03-22-16, 05:51 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I talked to carmax before purchasing my new rcf, they told me they are short term leases with less than 10k miles. The kicker is they are selling those for 3k more than I paid for new before taxes/fees.

I assume the ones with sub 5k miles are from impulse buyers that traded in for something else that better suits them. I know 2 owners on this site traded in their 2015 rcf for another 2015 rcf with different color and different package and only losing 3 grand.
Old 03-22-16, 05:51 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

It may just be the type of car it is. It doesn't fall in the practical vehicle category. It's a sports coupe that has a firm ride and doesn't get great mpg. It's not going to work for everyone. My salesman sold one that was returned in 2 weeks. They lady decided she needed 4 doors. There are tons of used 2015 M4's out there.
Old 03-22-16, 05:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by javierrebe

I noticed too the drop in price that is how I get mine. from 80k for 65k pre owned 185 miles.
my case was a little different the past owner owned a few cars so that is why only 165 miles and
To
but I was surprised for a 15k less price and also by how many RCF are available used.
Cause unless you make an M4 or C63 you cant beat the M4 or C63 at what they do. The RC-F is better served as a GT car. Lexus overestimate demand and now you have dealers who have nationwide a 152 15 F vehicles to move

To beat the M4 you have to be insane not restrained

The low mileage trade ins are etiher customers who:
1) saw that they could change vehicle for next to money loss (as the trade in values have suffered)
2) No longer liked the car and wanted out
3) Delaerhsip demos
Old 03-22-16, 06:19 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

then he changed for a SUV.

Well you got a good deal for that mileage. It has been discussed already that due to how new the RCF is on the market, used prices aren't going to be too far off from each other regardless of miles. Most of the used RCF on car gurus that are in the $55-60k range are without the Carbon/TVD package.

There are plenty of used M4 on the market as well.
Old 03-22-16, 06:36 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frog98
it may just be the type of car it is. It doesn't fall in the practical vehicle category. It's a sports coupe that has a firm ride and doesn't get great mpg. It's not going to work for everyone. My salesman sold one that was returned in 2 weeks. They lady decided she needed 4 doors. There are tons of used 2015 m4's out there.
bingo!! (on the first sentence at least)
Old 03-22-16, 08:22 PM
javierrebe
Driver School Candidate

Nice, good answers and or assumptions.

About the M4 I did not know that there was also a lot of M4 pre owned.

for what I read online M4 is faster but as a daily use car, normal everyday drive the RCF is better option. at least that is for what I read online.

Now I wonder

will the RCF become a lame duck in a few years or will still be a desirable car a few years later.
Old 03-22-16, 09:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Nice, good answers and or assumptions.

About the M4 I did not know that there was also a lot of M4 pre owned.

for what I read online M4 is faster but as a daily use car, normal everyday drive the RCF is better option. at least that is for what I read online.

Now I wonder

will the RCF become a lame duck in a few years or will still be a desirable car a few years later.
the prospective buyer doesnt reallly care that the M4 is a bad daily driver. They just care they are in Germanys finest corner carver and its flashy .
Old 03-22-16, 10:57 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello

I'm just curious

I noticed that there is a lot of RCF Pre-Owned for sale.

makes me think there is something wrong with it?
because can not be expired leasings from 2015? is only 1 year
and some with 2k, 5k, 8k or 12k miles only.

if some one have a theory or a reason for this other that the guy got home and his wife make him return it let me know.
I think the reasons vary. Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys had a used one for sale because an older lady thought she'd have a blast but it aggravated back pain. A lot of dealership owners and managers were driving them for a while. Then some jumped ship to another brand (e.g. M3/M4, CTS-V, etc).

I think Lexus over priced them to be honest, but I also think the M3/M4, RS5, GT-R, ZL1, NSX (the list goes on) are over-priced as well. They should've started at 55K, well equipped at 65K. Just my $0.02 though. I bought one for 10K below MSRP.
Old 03-22-16, 11:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LDEUX
I think the reasons vary. Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys had a used one for sale because an older lady thought she'd have a blast but it aggravated back pain. A lot of dealership owners and managers were driving them for a while. Then some jumped ship to another brand (e.g. M3/M4, CTS-V, etc).

I think Lexus over priced them to be honest, but I also think the M3/M4, RS5, GT-R, ZL1, NSX (the list goes on) are over-priced as well. They should've started at 55K, well equipped at 65K. Just my $0.02 though. I bought one for 10K below MSRP.
Maybe overpriced, but M4s are quite hot in the used market. $60k for a high milage piece

Quick Reply: why there are so many lexus rc f pre owned for sale?