RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-15, 10:47 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF500
Somewhat.

“By adjusting the valve opening, we can change the engine’s performance – making it run like an Atkinson cycle engine. This gives you an equivalent downsizing of 800cc, and the efficiency of a 4.2-litre engine.” -Yaguchi-san
Right very true. This is dependent on throttle response and input though, not necessarily driving mode right? The car only runs in Atkinson during cruising speeds I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 09-12-15, 02:26 PM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Right very true. This is dependent on throttle response and input though, not necessarily driving mode right? The car only runs in Atkinson during cruising speeds I think. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I think it's only running the Atkinson cycle when you see the little Eco icon on the instrument cluster when in Normal (perhaps during Eco mode itself too).

If it was me though, I wouldn't even imagine driving this thing in snow. I'd move first.
Old 09-12-15, 07:17 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Michelin sport AS, but still didn't want to drive it in the snow. So I went out a bought another set of snow tires for $12,000 and they came with an old SUV attached.

Old 09-12-15, 08:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
I bought the Michelin sport AS, but still didn't want to drive it in the snow. So I went out a bought another set of snow tires for $12,000 and they came with an old SUV attached.
Must be quite the tires.
Old 09-13-15, 06:25 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13

hahahhaha..

On a more serious note, the car is on the "heavy" side, so getting the car moving with a dedicated snow tires is not a problem, only on the days you see 20+cm of wet snow it may become annoying.
Since you live in Toronto, i would say we have very quick snow removal speed for the majority of the city in GTA. I generally find cars weighting above 3500lbs with snow tires to be stable where wet snow creates "humps" on the road regardless of awd, fwd, or rwd.

Don't mean to sound offensive but if you can afford a IS-F, would you be able to afford a second winter friendly car?
Old 09-13-15, 06:35 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GearGrind
hahahhaha..

On a more serious note, the car is on the "heavy" side, so getting the car moving with a dedicated snow tires is not a problem, only on the days you see 20+cm of wet snow it may become annoying.
Since you live in Toronto, i would say we have very quick snow removal speed for the majority of the city in GTA. I generally find cars weighting above 3500lbs with snow tires to be stable where wet snow creates "humps" on the road regardless of awd, fwd, or rwd.

Don't mean to sound offensive but if you can afford a IS-F, would you be able to afford a second winter friendly car?
Thanks so much for the response!
I think you meant if I could afford an "rc-f", not "is-f"...

And no offense taken! Getting a cheapo winter beater isn't an issue... but I might not have the space to keep an additional car. I mean it's possible but first step is to question if I could use the RC-F as a daily driver in the GTA throughout the year.

Can you (or anyone) recommend some good snow tires for this car along with some rims for winter? Ideally somewhere local in the GTA?
Old 09-13-15, 06:40 PM
GearGrind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadoocian
Thanks so much for the response!
I think you meant if I could afford an "rc-f", not "is-f"...

And no offense taken! Getting a cheapo winter beater isn't an issue... but I might not have the space to keep an additional car. I mean it's possible but first step is to question if I could use the RC-F as a daily driver in the GTA throughout the year.

Can you (or anyone) recommend some good snow tires for this car along with some rims for winter? Ideally somewhere local in the GTA?

Oh yes i meant to say RC-F, oops!

Got it, i understand space can be a premium depending on where in toronto now.
I get my tires from tirerack and get them shipped to my home (if i'm lazy), or places like simplytires, tires23, nextmod, etc. I'm sure there are more places that offer decent pricing. I assume you can find rims in the same places above instead of paying Lexus 4k for a set...

Depends if you want to stay with 19", i assume that would limit snow tire options greatly.
Old 09-13-15, 06:43 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GearGrind
Oh yes i meant to say RC-F, oops!

Got it, i understand space can be a premium depending on where in toronto now.
I get my tires from tirerack and get them shipped to my home (if i'm lazy), or places like simplytires, tires23, nextmod, etc. I'm sure there are more places that offer decent pricing. I assume you can find rims in the same places above instead of paying Lexus 4k for a set...

Depends if you want to stay with 19", i assume that would limit snow tire options greatly.
I'll have to do some research into those places. This is my first RWD car.

I'd want what's safest... recommended to go with smaller tires?
Old 09-13-15, 07:05 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lexus RCF 18" winter setup

After a ton of research on other forums it looked like the Volk TE37's in 18" would fit our big 15" Brembos, and could be the only 18" that may work.

Success! she's tight but there is 3-5mm clearance around the entire brake caliper.

I want to run an 18" winter in order to get some true dedicated winter tires, not a "performance" winter tire.

Old 09-13-15, 08:40 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

------------------------------------

Last edited by jadoocian; 09-13-15 at 08:41 PM. Reason: a
Old 09-13-15, 08:40 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

Do they not make 'true' 19 inch winter tires?
I'll be in the market for them soon.

Can you provide a link to the 18 inch wheels you've mentioned in your post?

Originally Posted by 4everkidd
After a ton of research on other forums it looked like the Volk TE37's in 18" would fit our big 15" Brembos, and could be the only 18" that may work.

Success! she's tight but there is 3-5mm clearance around the entire brake caliper.

I want to run an 18" winter in order to get some true dedicated winter tires, not a "performance" winter tire.
Old 09-14-15, 05:13 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jadoocian
Do they not make 'true' 19 inch winter tires?
I'll be in the market for them soon.

Can you provide a link to the 18 inch wheels you've mentioned in your post?
Google Volk TE37...
Its the most iconic Japanese wheel design on the market, and will never get played out.

They make 19" winter tires however they are "performance winters" which place more emphasis on dry performance over deep snow performance. I have run the LM32, and LM60's and besides their cold weather performance they are terrible on snow or ice.

A true to form WS80 or equivalent perform substantially better, but you lose some of the dry handling characteristics. Depends on your winter environment.
Old 09-14-15, 03:02 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Think they will clear the sticky weights? I tired on some 18'' CE's and they didn't clear the calipers. Good to know.
Old 09-14-15, 06:50 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by demik
Think they will clear the sticky weights? I tired on some 18'' CE's and they didn't clear the calipers. Good to know.
just have to hope they put them back a bit further.

There is definitely some risk with the setup, but I'm tired of struggling in the winter with a higher powered RWD car.
Old 09-16-15, 09:13 AM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Just looked into the new models being released and it looks like the Nokian Hakkepeliitta 8 Studded has been released in some new sizes this year to fit our 19's.

I just pulled the trigger on a set of 235/40R/19 and 245/40R/19 to mount on my Volk Progressive ME's I just dropped off for powder.

So all in all atleast I know an 18" rim can clear.

Quick Reply: Winter Wheel/Tire Setup (Merged Threads)