RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

US vs. CAN pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 09:58 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default US vs. CAN pricing

I was looking at the price difference on Lexus USA vs Canada and damn it's a staggering 20k!!! Kinda wishing I lived in the U.S the cars there are much cheaper.
Besides the ovbvious dollar and market difference, does anyone know why there is such a difference? Those two factors alone cannot justify 20k.
Old 11-15-14, 10:24 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably just purely market difference and what kind of trade agreements between countries? Better than being in Singapore and having to pay 80k usd for a honda fit and you have to pay for an ownership certificate which costs tens of thousands. Sucks for them
Old 11-15-14, 10:56 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
I was looking at the price difference on Lexus USA vs Canada and damn it's a staggering 20k!!! Kinda wishing I lived in the U.S the cars there are much cheaper.
Besides the ovbvious dollar and market difference, does anyone know why there is such a difference? Those two factors alone cannot justify 20k.

Price difference is a lot smaller than you think. It is just unfortunate that the base RC-F being sold here is loaded with all possible options except the 'carbon fiber performance package'. The base model RC-F on lexus.com is a stripped out model with a lot of option packages available.

If you equip an RC-F with the same option packages on lexus.com, it will come very close in pricing.

p.s. BTW, RC-F is being sold for $160K in Australia. It suddenly does not look so bad.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-15-14 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 11:34 PM
SDEngineer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
The Canadian dollar isn't exactly equal to the US dollar. The current exchange rate is $0.89 US == $1 Canadian. So the US dollar equivalent is $71900 or thereabouts.

And all Candian RC-F's come standard with the Premium package, the ML/Navigation package, leather seats, and the All-Weather package, which would add up to about a $70000 base price in US dollars - so you Canadians aren't paying much more than we are, you just don't have a stripped option.

As far as the Australians go - well, in addition to the currency conversion ($0.87US == $1 AU), they have a really high luxury car tax (about 33%), as well as import taxes and normal sales and use taxes - in much of the world, including Australia, prices are all-inclusive, so the MSRP for Australia should include all applicable taxes. Which is still very very high - roughly the equivalent of 127K US dollars (backing out a ~9.5% average US sales tax) - taking the 33% luxury tax out would have it work out to about $96K US - still quite high, but more understandable, since Australia doesn't have nearly the market for luxury cars as the US.

Last edited by SDEngineer; 11-15-14 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 01:51 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$20k thats alotta mula... I could only imagine how much you had to pay for your GTR
Old 11-16-14, 01:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
$20k thats alotta mula... I could only imagine how much you had to pay for your GTR
As many people have stated, price is very close. Just that in US, they offer a base stripped out car at $62,000. Here they don't offer that. Only a fully loaded RC-F is offered with all of the possible amenities on it. Only option that could be added is the 'carbon performance package with TVD'.
Old 11-16-14, 05:45 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup you are correct I was just going to add plus paying $650 extra for the USB 2.0 and Infrared.

It was the same scenario with the Isf we had the series 2 package that the only difference was having the navigation and ML sound system from the base model.
Old 11-16-14, 05:49 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Price difference is a lot smaller than you think. It is just unfortunate that the base RC-F being sold here is loaded with all possible options except the 'carbon fiber performance package'. The base model RC-F on lexus.com is a stripped out model with a lot of option packages available.

If you equip an RC-F with the same option packages on lexus.com, it will come very close in pricing.

p.s. BTW, RC-F is being sold for $160K in Australia. It suddenly does not look so bad.
I guess when you factor all that in it makes sense. But there are many options in the RCF that I find unnecessary.
Old 11-16-14, 05:51 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
I bought the GTR used haha. But the GTR only has a 8k difference between the two countries certainly better than the RCFs difference.