Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 04:52 PM
Set50
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Engineers "Weight" Defense

Just a FYI:

Source: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/09/2...coupes-weight/

Lexus RC chief engineer Eiichi Kusama has addressed the weight debate currently surrounding the new coupe — from Motoring Australia:

“How fun to drive is more important than the other things I think,” Kusama told motoring.com.au at least week’s RC launch in New York.

“But of course after launch if the market needs other performance, maybe in the future we think we study the other things.”

“Body structure, very good rigidity and passive safety and big diameter tyres, then the body weight becomes a little heavier,” Kusama explained. “But I think you don’t feel the weight so much.”
RC F chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi believes the vehicle’s safety features are the biggest factor when it comes to weight:

“It’s always better to be lighter, but for this purpose… safety, regulatory, that’s something we have to prioritise as well.”
[Source: Motoring Australia]
Old 09-25-14, 05:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the weight isnt that unreasonable when you consider other V8 coupes (C63, RS5) and the previous ISF. The new Stang GT is 3700 so 300# more for all the lexus luxury stuff and TVD.
Old 09-25-14, 05:20 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's much if any safer than the competitors. I think the real story is that Lexus hasn't developed next gen chassis techniques till the new LS is released, hence having to resort to borrowing the chassis from three different vehicles.
Old 09-25-14, 05:24 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

We all know that this is a result of a mash-up of three different cars, GS, IS cab and current IS. Everyone knows that a independent chassi would make a huge difference in both weight and maybe lap times. But building a car today is all ( as everything else ) about economy , and if the engineers had free hands it would be att different story.
Old 09-25-14, 06:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the weight isnt that unreasonable when you consider other V8 coupes (C63, RS5) and the previous ISF. The new Stang GT is 3700 so 300# more for all the lexus luxury stuff and TVD.
Stang GT tipped the scales at over 3800 lbs. 3814 lbs to be exact.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...gt_first_test/
Old 09-25-14, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
We all know that this is a result of a mash-up of three different cars, GS, IS cab and current IS. Everyone knows that a independent chassi would make a huge difference in both weight and maybe lap times. But building a car today is all ( as everything else ) about economy , and if the engineers had free hands it would be att different story.
i dont mind that it is partially a GS... I would rather have that than something based purely off IS.

Might lose at the drag strip by 0.2s but I think the drive experience on road should be much better. Unlike some competing models, it is a GT and doesnt have basics stripped down such as hood insulation. I think the difference in approach is huge. It is a luxury coupe first.
Old 09-26-14, 01:54 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably got 50 airbags (exaggerating) and sensors warning you about all these things youre doing while driving. All that weighs the car down. Fancy leather, floor-mats, adjustable heated seats etc.
Old 09-26-14, 05:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The heavy price tag probably added some weight too. J/K
Old 09-26-14, 10:56 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

And here is the core RC chassis...

~ Joe Z
Old 09-26-14, 12:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Completely agree....but even with a dedicated platform it may have saved about 200-300lbs unless ur using a CarbonFiber tub which is crazy $$$.

Listen RC-F is heavy for what it is but its comparable to the Jag F-Type R which is also about 4,000lbs and Mustang GT.
If you want a big V8 engine, all the safety tech and Luxury - u will never have a light car.

You want light car with great handling - get a BRZ/FRS, Miata, Cayman, Lotus etc.
Any one of those will be more fun at the track.
Old 09-26-14, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Love that Lexus finally re-added a coupe to its stable. Honestly I don't think the weight is all that unreasonable. If Lexus ended up using more exotic materials people would complain about the price. Imagine what they will say when the LF-LC (SC) comes to fruition and they see the six figure price. Someday the weight will decrease but only when the F marque is more established and Lexus is viewed with even more parity with the Euro Luxury automakers. RC F is a drivers car, a GT car and should prove to be reliable beyond and a pleasure to own.
Old 09-26-14, 03:22 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

I think a six figure price for the LF-LC is exactly what they're hoping for, since the germans have cars like the R8 and the i8. Like i said, I think it's just that Lexus still hasn't released all their next gen tech yet, with the new engines like the 200t just happening. All the german manufacturers have talked about weight reduction techniques for their upcoming vehicles, but nothing from Lexus.
Old 09-26-14, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Love that Lexus finally re-added a coupe to its stable. Honestly I don't think the weight is all that unreasonable. If Lexus ended up using more exotic materials people would complain about the price. Imagine what they will say when the LF-LC (SC) comes to fruition and they see the six figure price. Someday the weight will decrease but only when the F marque is more established and Lexus is viewed with even more parity with the Euro Luxury automakers. RC F is a drivers car, a GT car and should prove to be reliable beyond and a pleasure to own.
what is making a weight "problem" worse is that many European magazines (all of UK ones) are quoting difference being +700lbs, when it is more like 350-400lbs... almost double.

Lexus could easily get 100lbs out of removing some luxury parts like M4 did, but then it would not be a Lexus... and honestly, I think people would be outraged if they saw Lexus coupe not having under-hood insulation.
Old 09-26-14, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eoph
I think a six figure price for the LF-LC is exactly what they're hoping for, since the germans have cars like the R8 and the i8. Like i said, I think it's just that Lexus still hasn't released all their next gen tech yet, with the new engines like the 200t just happening. All the german manufacturers have talked about weight reduction techniques for their upcoming vehicles, but nothing from Lexus.
well, when it comes to RC and IS, main part would be not to be based on GS but more compact platform that is lighter. GS itself is pretty light, considerably more so than german vehicles. In fact, difference between GS and 5 series is similar to difference between M4 and RC-F... with exception that in RC-F Lexus did not use smaller engine and did not strip sound insulation like M4 did.

Of course, you would lose a bit of luxury with that.. not sure how prepared is Lexus to do all of that... Other possibilities are endless but also bring smaller weight improvements.

So it is not like Germans are doing crazy production car things with their standard 1/3/5 series at all. Much more innovative are smaller car companies like JLR, which uses all-aluminium frame for even the small XE.