RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Leftover model pricing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 03:11 PM
DeCaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leftover model pricing

New member here. Didn't see a closely related recent thread for this topic in the forum - my apologies if i overlooked one.

A Lexus dealer about two hours away has not one, but two leftover 2015 RC 350 F-Sport AWD's on the lot. And here we are with the 2017's soon to start rolling in. I've been in contact with them via email and here are the numbers. Both cars have MSRP's of approximately $54,100. No indication either is a loaner / salesman take home with mileage, but I'm waiting to confirm that. At this early point in the negotiation they are at $45K on one of them.

Now if it was a 2016, I assume a $45K price would be in the ballpark. But the depreciation hit on a 2015 will be pretty stiff. I am waiting to hear back from my insurer regarding valuation for a 2015. State sales tax will run me 7% on top of whatever price I get them down to. Then consider the issues of tires with flat spots, change of oil and brake fluid, and the potential of minor paint issues due to extended weather exposure on the lot. I haven't been to the lot to look at either of them, but obviously would before agreeing to a price.

As a comparison, the first offer on a 2016 with a similar MSRP from another dealer is at $48,500, their supposed no-haggle price. (yeah . . . right) Seems all of the Lexus dealerships are about two hours drive apart, so there isn't much competition for them in that regard.

Thoughts on appropriate pricing for a leftover 2015? I am in absolutely no hurry to buy. I'll wait until after the first of the year if necessary, assuming one of them is still on the lot - and that includes the 2016 on the other lot.

TIA - DeCaf
Old 10-17-16, 07:29 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi DeCaf,

I recently bought my RC 350 here in the DFW area and had the same thoughts you did before purchasing mine. I had been looking since the start of 2016 hoping that prices would drop as cars come back from lease, or given that the cars originally rolled out in early 2015, and with the 2016 models already out at the time the prices for the 2015 would go down. I never saw anything less than 45k up until the last we months. I still see some RC 350 F-sports (not AWD) for 45-47K with anywhere around 7-15k miles here in Dallas. This got me thinking that the fact that the new RC’s are not going to have any significant additional features means that they are just adding a few numbers in front of the model name to signify a newer manufacturing date. Therefore I don’t see the prices going down all that much. I bought my car for 42K (F-Sport, Premium Package) after almost a year of looking. I would say I got lucky, it was a trade in that the dealership wanted to get rid of, granted the mileage was a little steep at 15k, with the features that came with the car I still thought that was a pretty decent price. For the AWD, I would say you are looking at a decent price, but can probably find something cheaper if you were to wait. Hope this helps!
Old 10-19-16, 12:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

? ??? In my mind will be :

1. Is this BRAND NEW, NEVER TITLED AND NEVER PUT IN SERVICE?
This is important bc of the IN SERVICE DATE and this is when the Lexus warranty starts.

2. Or is thus is a CPO from a Lexus dealer? If yes, then it will be UNLIMITED MILEAGE for x years.

3. Can you live with whatever minor blemishes inside and out? For a discount? How much discount ? Just for reference. ........ For me it was $15k off MRSP for my 2015 RCF for CPO with some 18xx miles. Bought October 2015.

Originally Posted by DeCaf
New member here. Didn't see a closely related recent thread for this topic in the forum - my apologies if i overlooked one.

A Lexus dealer about two hours away has not one, but two leftover 2015 RC 350 F-Sport AWD's on the lot. And here we are with the 2017's soon to start rolling in. I've been in contact with them via email and here are the numbers. Both cars have MSRP's of approximately $54,100. No indication either is a loaner / salesman take home with mileage, but I'm waiting to confirm that. At this early point in the negotiation they are at $45K on one of them.

Now if it was a 2016, I assume a $45K price would be in the ballpark. But the depreciation hit on a 2015 will be pretty stiff. I am waiting to hear back from my insurer regarding valuation for a 2015. State sales tax will run me 7% on top of whatever price I get them down to. Then consider the issues of tires with flat spots, change of oil and brake fluid, and the potential of minor paint issues due to extended weather exposure on the lot. I haven't been to the lot to look at either of them, but obviously would before agreeing to a price.

As a comparison, the first offer on a 2016 with a similar MSRP from another dealer is at $48,500, their supposed no-haggle price. (yeah . . . right) Seems all of the Lexus dealerships are about two hours drive apart, so there isn't much competition for them in that regard.

Thoughts on appropriate pricing for a leftover 2015? I am in absolutely no hurry to buy. I'll wait until after the first of the year if necessary, assuming one of them is still on the lot - and that includes the 2016 on the other lot.

TIA - DeCaf
Old 10-20-16, 06:11 PM
DeCaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 RC's are both new, never titled. At least one has less than 50 miles, unsure about the other. Seems a little strange they have brand new 2015's, 2016's and now a 2017 sitting together on the lot, all optioned similarly with approx the same MSRP. Price quotes I have on a couple of leftover 2016's at other lots are only about $2,500 more than the quotes on the 2015's. Depreciation alone would make the 2016's a better deal, everything else being equal.

As forcaport7 indicated, time is on my side, so I'll see if they budge as the end of the month approaches. End of year isn't far off either.
Old 10-20-16, 09:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I can't imagine why the dealer would want to still keep the 2015 RCF's. It will be a 3 year old model come January 1, 2017. Plus it is just not good for the car to sit around for that long.

Originally Posted by DeCaf
The 2015 RC's are both new, never titled. At least one has less than 50 miles, unsure about the other. Seems a little strange they have brand new 2015's, 2016's and now a 2017 sitting together on the lot, all optioned similarly with approx the same MSRP. Price quotes I have on a couple of leftover 2016's at other lots are only about $2,500 more than the quotes on the 2015's. Depreciation alone would make the 2016's a better deal, everything else being equal.

As forcaport7 indicated, time is on my side, so I'll see if they budge as the end of the month approaches. End of year isn't far off either.