RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Do you take your RC to the Carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 07:21 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Do you take your RC to the Carwash?

So, lately i have been taking my RC to get it washed in our local car wash on a weekly basis. I wash it myself, i don't trust the machine.

I hate using the brush as i feel it might damage my paint with tiny scratches though. Trying to see if i'm the only "fool" who takes it to the car-wash.

Old 05-19-16, 07:39 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Even when you go to one of those self wash places you should never use the brush. Most of the time those brushes are thrown on the ground and can pick up any dirt or small debris and harm your your finish.

Bring a wash mitt with you and after you rinse and soap the car use your own mitt. Much safer.
Old 05-19-16, 07:42 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JT4
Even when you go to one of those self wash places you should never use the brush. Most of the time those brushes are thrown on the ground and can pick up any dirt or small debris and harm your your finish.

Bring a wash mitt with you and after you rinse and soap the car use your own mitt. Much safer.
Yeah deff will start doing that from now on .
Old 05-19-16, 07:49 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

nope, I have a guy that comes to the house twice a month. washes all 3 of my cars and climbs up on the roof and power washes my solar panels. $100 for everything.

the do it yourself place near me is $5 for 4 minutes. it takes $20 to wash the car correctly.
the hand wash car wash place near me is $35 and it takes him 1-1.5 hours because of the amount of business he has..

Luis comes to my house at 7am on Saturday while I am still asleep, washes all the cars and the solar panels in 2 hours, then knocks on the door for keys to do the interior. I am not disturbed, don't have to drive anywhere, and I trust the guy, he has been washing my cars for 10 years and he is a car guy, restores old Nova's and Chevelles for side work, he works as a body and paint guy during the week and mobile detail on the weekend.. He knows his business and he cares about making sure the cars are clean and not scratched. (dude even cleans the inside of the wheels by hand).
Old 05-19-16, 07:54 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjeds
nope, I have a guy that comes to the house twice a month. washes all 3 of my cars and climbs up on the roof and power washes my solar panels. $100 for everything.

the do it yourself place near me is $5 for 4 minutes. it takes $20 to wash the car correctly.
the hand wash car wash place near me is $35 and it takes him 1-1.5 hours because of the amount of business he has..

Luis comes to my house at 7am on Saturday while I am still asleep, washes all the cars and the solar panels in 2 hours, then knocks on the door for keys to do the interior. I am not disturbed, don't have to drive anywhere, and I trust the guy, he has been washing my cars for 10 years and he is a car guy, restores old Nova's and Chevelles for side work, he works as a body and paint guy during the week and mobile detail on the weekend.. He knows his business and he cares about making sure the cars are clean and not scratched. (dude even cleans the inside of the wheels by hand).
Damn that's awesome.

Planning on doing a detail on mine in a few weeks, guy charges 180. Not a bad price, but he does a good job from the work i have seen. out here in Maryland, it has rained for the pat 17 days straight which makes it hard trying to keep the car clean.
Old 05-19-16, 08:51 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hand wash myself. Probably will go to a detail shop once or twice a year.

Here in Oregon: hand wash 30, wash + wax 90, detail probably around 150. But you can really do a better job yourself. Last time I took the car back from a detail shop, i found water marks and a bit leftover soap. So I educated myself on youtube and spent 30 on buying wax soap and microfiber towels. I am good to go so far so good. Oregon rains a lot. Another reason why I should do it myself.

Nice USB color btw. If I were you, I would use my own washing "tools" and their space and water

Last edited by Ahhadanny; 05-19-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 09:30 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone use automatic brushless carwashes?
Old 05-19-16, 09:32 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I hand wash myself. Probably will go to a detail shop once or twice a year.

Here in Oregon: hand wash 30, wash + wax 90, detail probably around 150. But you can really do a better job yourself. Last time I took the car back from a detail shop, i found water marks and a bit leftover soap. So I educated myself on youtube and spent 30 on buying wax soap and microfiber towels. I am good to go so far so good. Oregon rains a lot. Another reason why I should do it myself.

Nice USB color btw. If I were you, I would use my own washing "tools" and their space and water
Will for sure start doing that from now on. and thank you, had it for about 2 months month and have recently been taking it to the carwash every thursday since i'm only driving it Friday - Sunday.

Yeah rain right now is killing me.
Old 05-19-16, 09:37 AM
RealMCR12
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Anyone use automatic brushless carwashes?
are these new ? I think the carwash i go to has a brushless one. Looks like it was recently installed as well.
Old 05-19-16, 09:47 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMCR12
are these new ? I think the carwash i go to has a brushless one. Looks like it was recently installed as well.
Not new, but most newer ones are brushless.
Old 05-19-16, 09:52 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RealMCR12
still not a good choice for new cars. I was told that even if it is "touchless", but they recycle/reuse the water . all kinds of leftover chemicals in the water.

I have a Honda which is quite old already. I go to auto car wash and touchless car wash from time to time. I don't mind at all. But not to my RC
Old 05-19-16, 01:04 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

You are ruining your paint even with the self wash. You need to use atleast a two bucket system with grit guards at the very least. I get my car detailed/sealed using only chemical guys products once a year and washing your car the right way makes a huge difference. Looks like new always. The other option you have which is trending because of its great quality/ value is ceramic pro. Look into it.

Heres a link on how to wash your car properly....the guys does a full job but you can get the point:

Old 05-19-16, 05:55 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is glass coated with 22 PLE and I will never take it to a car wash. I wash it by hand using the Meguiars professional rinseless wash and wax D115 and microfiber towels. I have not gone to the car wash in over three years. I do have a professional detailer that I have come out about every quarter or six months just to wash the car because it's coated he doesn't have to do anything else to it

I really highly recommend these coatings it makes it so much easier to maintain the car keep it clean and to wash it and it gives it a really nice shine
Old 05-20-16, 05:57 AM
leebo19633
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Lighten Up Francis"

I get the concept of caring for your material possessions, especially one that costs $50K. On the other hand, I drive a car for 3-5 years and I don't inspect the paint with a magnifying glass. In the real world if you drive your car it gets scratches, dings, and other **** cuz that's what happens in the real world when you actually drive your car.

I hand wash at home when the weather permits in Atlanta, which is about 8 months out of the year. The other times I go to the newest brushless car wash. I know it's not perfect, but I only go the ones that air dry because I don't trust those drying rags. I bring my own and hand dry it after it goes through the wash.
Old 05-20-16, 12:51 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Whats your guy's opinion on this? Im really interested. My lexus dealer has a carwash right there and they say its tuned for Lexus's. The carwash is literally connected to the dealership its not a third party system, TBH i go there once a week and it does a good job of cleaning it , except the lower body panel but i just wipe it when i get home. Hopefully Im not doing to much damage to the car because i need to keep it for 15 years lol.