RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Enform App Suite Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 11:26 AM
AtomicRC
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enform App Suite Question

In the Lexus App Suite, is anyone able to use the voice command function? For example in OpenTable, it is my understanding you should be able to make reservations by voice, rather than having to type it in. However, when I press the voice command button while in one of the applications, all I get is a "please wait" shown on the screen for a second then nothing happens. Also, after this happens the whole voice command system glitches and will not do anything. If anyone else has experienced this or if you are able to use the voice command functions within the Lexus App Suite please let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-10-16, 02:57 PM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm not sure, but holding in the off-hook button for 2 seconds or so (not the voice command button) will, at least for dialing out, get you to the phone voice commands instead of the car's voice commands. (I think it may connect the car's mic and speaker to Siri in your phone - you do have an iPhone, don't you?) I don't use those apps, so I'm not sure. Another way to make restaurant reservations is to call the restaurant, which can be done via Siri, often.
Old 04-10-16, 04:14 PM
AtomicRC
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'm not sure, but holding in the off-hook button for 2 seconds or so (not the voice command button) will, at least for dialing out, get you to the phone voice commands instead of the car's voice commands. (I think it may connect the car's mic and speaker to Siri in your phone - you do have an iPhone, don't you?) I don't use those apps, so I'm not sure. Another way to make restaurant reservations is to call the restaurant, which can be done via Siri, often.
Yeah, I'm aware of that feature, it's called "Siri Eyes Free." Also, the reason I like using Open Table because there are many people that have no idea what it is, and when a restaurant is an Open Table establishment, they are required to keep a certain number of tables available for that purpose. Also, I forgot to add in my original post that on 2016 models, at least the RX350, has the voice command functions in the Lexus App Suite. So, it may be something that was added on 2016 models, however it is still confusing why mine says "please wait" when I press the voice command button.
Old 11-22-16, 05:21 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Is there a Samsung version of Siri Eyes Free?
Old 11-23-16, 07:31 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Ken asks: " Is there a Samsung version of Siri Eyes Free? "
The easy answer is that there used to be, but every time you used it, it made the car catch on fire.
The real answer is that there is not such a thing as a Samsung version of any app. Almost all smart phones use either iOS (apple phones) or the Android Operating System, developed by Google. (There used to be some Windows phones for a while, but I think they are all gone now. Samsung is rumored to be working on its own phone OS, but that project could be on the back burner right now, although I don't think they use that expression in the Samsung phone division.)
I believe that there is an apple app and an Android app for the Lexus Enform App Suite, which is what I think you need to have to run those apps like Open Table. (I think I have to have the App Suite open and running on my phone before I fire it up (ooops - I mean start it up) in the car from the big screen. I have never had an Android phone, so that's about as much as I know, and of course, as always, I could be wrong.

Last edited by tfischer; 11-23-16 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed references to the Clinton election.
Old 11-23-16, 09:41 AM
MKenM
Advanced

I guess the appropriate question is: When you push the off hook button on the steering wheel will the Samsung/Android phone respond i.e. wait for a command such as "Send a text message to Joe Smith mobile" followed by the message and then it gets sent or a similar command.
Old 11-23-16, 11:04 AM
AtomicRC
Rookie

Android phones do not do this, it's only compatible with Siri on the iPhone.
Old 11-23-16, 01:48 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Since you can talk to an iOS and Android devices directly I thought the off hook button would just wake up your device and just let you use your device. Oh well.
Old 11-23-16, 06:18 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Is there a Samsung version of Siri Eyes Free?
I don't mess with that stuff. But I know a lot about computer programming. Anything that can be done on an iPhone can also be done on an Android. I'm sure someone has made a program/app which can do what you want. If you can find it.

A quick Google search and I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...e_siri_button/

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for. If not, search around. I'm sure you can find what you want.

Update: I was bored. I'm thinking this is what you want?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Pheonix&hl=en

If not, keep looking. But I'm guessing that whatever you are looking for will make use of Google Now for hands free operation. It's much easier to piggyback than making an entirely new program that does what Google Now already does.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-23-16 at 09:47 PM.