RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

WTF? Tiny pits / chips on driver's side door window

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 03:52 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
We need to invent a pit filler that basically fills even the tiniest specks by adhering to rough surfaces and dries clear.
No doubt. Every time I get into the car I see that darn star crack even though it is filled in, and it's worse when the sun catches it.
Old 10-21-15, 05:21 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you think those DIY chip repair kits are worth a shot?
Old 10-21-15, 06:03 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Do you think those DIY chip repair kits are worth a shot?
They might be. The thing to worry about is that once the fluid is put in you have to make sure that it is scrapped level otherwise you will have a permanent bump which will show every time you use the wipers. To me that would drive me more nuts than having a small pit.

The issue is that the pit has to be deep enough so the fix will be able to stick otherwise the wipers will eventually remove it. That was told to me by numerous windshield repair places when I asked it they could fill those tiny pits. If it's a deep pit or a star then the fix can be made to go into those areas and anchor it.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-15, 08:09 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I hear you. On the way back home from the dealer after I signed all the paper work we got a rock chip right in front of me, but below my eye level, and we also got a small rock chip on the hood. I was so pissed, but then realized that this will happen if I drive it, and as my wife reminded me you ain't spending this much money for a car that sits in the garage. I already have one of those. I was scheduled to have XPEL put on the car the next day.

I think because these types of cars sit lower than sedans the windshields are more prone to rock hits, and I also think like you the glass is softer. It could be that the rocks are harder, but that doesn't make sense.
At least you guys don't live where I do in Oz. Our local government's solution to road resurfacing here is to lay coarse chips on wet tar and let the drivers bed it down!!!
Old 10-22-15, 05:04 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Originally Posted by AussieRC
At least you guys don't live where I do in Oz. Our local government's solution to road resurfacing here is to lay coarse chips on wet tar and let the drivers bed it down!!!
Damn Dude, that is just so cruel.

Do the town officials sit on the side of the road and just laugh at everyone as they pass by?
Old 10-23-15, 12:55 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Geez ... You gotta wonder what people with Bentley's and exotic cars do!
Old 10-23-15, 02:05 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Geez ... You gotta wonder what people with Bentley's and exotic cars do!
Maybe not drive them, hence the really low mileage on many of them or not care. Since I don't own either I can't tell and can only speculate.
Old 11-16-15, 07:35 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

First to make chip resistant glass = $$$$$$$
Old 11-17-15, 05:20 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

First to make chip resistant glass = $$$$$$$
It's called bullet proof glass, but then our cars will be even heavier.
Old 11-17-15, 09:03 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Just to follow up. I spoke with the Lexus tech. $425 to replace the window. Wouldn't want to know what the windshield is!
Old 11-17-15, 12:32 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Just to follow up. I spoke with the Lexus tech. $425 to replace the window. Wouldn't want to know what the windshield is!
I heard it was $1,600. I'm so glad I have glass coverage.
Old 02-11-16, 01:47 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Finally came to accept the fact that Lexus glass is VERY soft and pits easily even little force. It sucks but inevitable I guess.
Old 02-11-16, 02:53 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Finally came to accept the fact that Lexus glass is VERY soft and pits easily even little force. It sucks but inevitable I guess.
I feel your pain and you should see my windshield after only 6, 602 miles on it. This has to be some of the softest glass ever made.
Old 02-11-16, 05:13 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GearHead69
I feel your pain and you should see my windshield after only 6, 602 miles on it. This has to be some of the softest glass ever made.

It literally sucks. Even a small pebble kicked up under 40mph results in a nice white pit. I never had a car with such poor durability glass. It's crap. Only stays nice if you don't drive the car, or only drive when hardly anyone is on the road. Lexus should get their ***** together and deliver on glass. It is possible to make glass that shatters easily without making it prone to blemishes with everything that is thrown at it.

That's why I didn't get the driver door window replaced. I knew it was a matter of time before it happens elsewhere.

Not up for putting glass film on the windshield either. Heck, I'm surprised the rear window is still free from pitting!
Old 02-12-16, 07:50 AM
GearHead69
Instructor

It literally sucks. Even a small pebble kicked up under 40mph results in a nice white pit. I never had a car with such poor durability glass. It's crap. Only stays nice if you don't drive the car, or only drive when hardly anyone is on the road. Lexus should get their ***** together and deliver on glass. It is possible to make glass that shatters easily without making it prone to blemishes with everything that is thrown at it.

That's why I didn't get the driver door window replaced. I knew it was a matter of time before it happens elsewhere.

Not up for putting glass film on the windshield either. Heck, I'm surprised the rear window is still free from pitting!
The back glass will remain free as long as you don't drive backwards down the freeway.

Quick Reply: WTF? Tiny pits / chips on driver's side door window