ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-1st-gen-2015-present-258/)
-   -   WTF? Tiny pits / chips on driver's side door window (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-1st-gen-2015-present/800862-wtf-tiny-pits-chips-on-drivers-side-door-window.html)

FUZCO 10-20-15 04:05 PM

WTF? Tiny pits / chips on driver's side door window

Hi all.

My RC has only 1200 miles on since inception in June. Because I have OCD about chips, I don't drive on the highway at all.

I went to clean my car today for the first time (yeah, I know) and noticed two pinhead white dots on the driver's side window. Thinking it was stuck dirt, I gave it a good rub before realizing that they're pits!

I have no clue how they appeared and would have heard / noticed had it occurred when driving. Again, I don't drive on the highway. the windshield and rest of glass is clean.

Anyway, I'm sick of looking at it. Anyone know what it costs to replace the glass as I'm aware there's no way to repair it? Thanks.

jowsleyyy 10-20-15 04:29 PM

Got a picture?

FUZCO 10-20-15 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy (Post 9223413)
Got a picture?

Sure. Just took the pic posted below. The one circled on the left is oddly near the edge of the window. The one circled on the right looks like two tiny nicks but it's one mark and a bit shallower and not as "white" as the one on the left.

I'm really perplexed. If it happened on my watch, the glass must be ridiculously delicate because I don't tailgate or drive on the highway for there to warrant such pitting from debris. The other odd thing is that the pits are only on the driver's side window and not on the windshield. I don't recall anyone throwing anything at the window to pinpoint.

Yeah, I am bad about washing my car as I refuse to bring it to a car wash and resort to self washing when I have time or in the mood. Then again, I don't drive much at all for it to get really dirty. What's the chance that the nicks were there all along and I just noticed it?

I know it's not a "huge" deal but it bothers me considering the rest of my car is flawless. I just looked up the part number, 6810224280, and the cost an OEM replacement is around $400 without labor. You would think in 2015 there would be technology that existed to repair such blemishes completely instead of replacement. I don't want to point the finger at the dealer, yet I'm very discouraged at the durability of the glass had it happened under my overly cautious driving practices!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...32df46fe78.jpg

GearHead69 10-20-15 05:47 PM

They were probably caused by small rocks being flung by other cars next to you or in front. You should see my windshield, and unfortunately I have to take the freeway to work otherwise it will take me 2.5 hours to get to work.

FUZCO 10-20-15 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by GearHead69 (Post 9223505)
They were probably caused by small rocks being flung by other cars next to you or in front. You should see my windshield, and unfortunately I have to take the freeway to work otherwise it will take me 2.5 hours to get to work.

This sucks. In this day in age you'd think the glass would be more durable. The fact that the glass on these care is so delicate is unacceptable. Windshield chips are understandable, but on the door window is indicative of really inferior quality.

ThaDRD 10-20-15 07:09 PM

I actually have ClearPlex windshield protection film on mine for this very reason.

However, windshield chip repair is pretty common now. Your insurance might even cover it.

Edit: Just realized you were talking about a door window. Chip repair might still be viable though.

FUZCO 10-20-15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThaDRD (Post 9223598)
I actually have ClearPlex windshield protection film on mine for this very reason.

However, windshield chip repair is pretty common now. Your insurance might even cover it.

Edit: Just realized you were talking about a door window. Chip repair might still be viable though.

There's currently no method of removing pits from windshields. Whoever comes up with one will make mad $$$. A chirpy has to be a certain size to be eligible for repair. Even then, you're still left with a non-invisible milky dot that where the resin is injected.

It's like what's the point of paint protection if the glass is pitted and marked up? Paint is cheap. Glass is not.

AussieRC 10-20-15 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by FUZCO (Post 9223518)
This sucks. In this day in age you'd think the glass would be more durable. The fact that the glass on these care is so delicate is unacceptable. Windshield chips are understandable, but on the door window is indicative of really inferior quality.

Wondering if you park outside in your driveway or on the road? Could be from passing traffic, a lawnmower, street sweepers, anything really...

dchar 10-20-15 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by FUZCO (Post 9223473)
Sure. Just took the pic posted below. The one circled on the left is oddly near the edge of the window. The one circled on the right looks like two tiny nicks but it's one mark and a bit shallower and not as "white" as the one on the left.

I'm really perplexed. If it happened on my watch, the glass must be ridiculously delicate because I don't tailgate or drive on the highway for there to warrant such pitting from debris. The other odd thing is that the pits are only on the driver's side window and not on the windshield. I don't recall anyone throwing anything at the window to pinpoint.

Yeah, I am bad about washing my car as I refuse to bring it to a car wash and resort to self washing when I have time or in the mood. Then again, I don't drive much at all for it to get really dirty. What's the chance that the nicks were there all along and I just noticed it?

I know it's not a "huge" deal but it bothers me considering the rest of my car is flawless. I just looked up the part number, 6810224280, and the cost an OEM replacement is around $400 without labor. You would think in 2015 there would be technology that existed to repair such blemishes completely instead of replacement. I don't want to point the finger at the dealer, yet I'm very discouraged at the durability of the glass had it happened under my overly cautious driving practices!

With your attention to detail, I doubt those blemishes were on the window when you picked up the car. I bet something happened to the window while you were parked somewhere. Like you, I hate seeing blemishes on my car but I've learned to get over them and just enjoy driving my car. I take actions to avoid chips like not driving behind trucks, but unfortunately chips are bound to eventually happen.

kevin7r 10-21-15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by FUZCO (Post 9223473)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...32df46fe78.jpg

Lawn mower or weed eater definitely! had This happen while at work on base one day. Company contracted for base lawn service got a few parked near grass while they where cutting and edging.

FUZCO 10-21-15 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by kevin7r (Post 9224280)
Lawn mower or weed eater definitely! had This happen while at work on base one day. Company contracted for base lawn service got a few parked near grass while they where cutting and edging.

Good point. I do leave the car out sometimes on the driveway when the landscaper comes. Still, the glass should be a bit more resistant.

What about using cerium (sp?) oxide powder to try and polish it out? I hate the crushed glass look left from the marks.

GearHead69 10-21-15 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by FUZCO (Post 9224324)
Good point. I do leave the car out sometimes on the driveway when the landscaper comes. Still, the glass should be a bit more resistant.

What about using cerium (sp?) oxide powder to try and polish it out? I hate the crushed glass look left from the marks.

Since the glass is pitted and not scratched you would not be able to polish it out. If you were able to polish it out you would have an indentation where the pit was, which would be way worse than the small pit.

I understand that it is a pain and unsightly, but it might be something that you have to live with as these things will happen on occasion. The other alternative is never drive you car, which I don't think you want to do.

FUZCO 10-21-15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GearHead69 (Post 9224392)
Since the glass is pitted and not scratched you would not be able to polish it out. If you were able to polish it out you would have an indentation where the pit was, which would be way worse than the small pit.

I understand that it is a pain and unsightly, but it might be something that you have to live with as these things will happen on occasion. The other alternative is never drive you car, which I don't think you want to do.

So sad. Next time I'll opt for bulletproof glass.

GearHead69 10-21-15 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by FUZCO (Post 9224404)
So sad. Next time I'll opt for bulletproof glass.

I hear you. On the way back home from the dealer after I signed all the paper work we got a rock chip right in front of me, but below my eye level, and we also got a small rock chip on the hood. I was so pissed, but then realized that this will happen if I drive it, and as my wife reminded me you ain't spending this much money for a car that sits in the garage. I already have one of those. I was scheduled to have XPEL put on the car the next day. :egads:

I think because these types of cars sit lower than sedans the windshields are more prone to rock hits, and I also think like you the glass is softer. It could be that the rocks are harder, but that doesn't make sense. :uh:

FUZCO 10-21-15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by GearHead69 (Post 9224507)
I hear you. On the way back home from the dealer after I signed all the paper work we got a rock chip right in front of me, but below my eye level, and we also got a small rock chip on the hood. I was so pissed, but then realized that this will happen if I drive it, and as my wife reminded me you ain't spending this much money for a car that sits in the garage. I already have one of those. I was scheduled to have XPEL put on the car the next day. :egads:

I think because these types of cars sit lower than sedans the windshields are more prone to rock hits, and I also think like you the glass is softer. It could be that the rocks are harder, but that doesn't make sense. :uh:

We need to invent a pit filler that basically fills even the tiniest specks by adhering to rough surfaces and dries clear.