RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Garage door openers

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 11:20 AM
Thesil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage door openers

I'm having trouble opening my garage door the automatic garage door opener in my 350 F sport I wonder if anybody else is having a problem it seems that I have to move the car closer or backwards and push the button numerous times for the garage door was open I've never had that problem with any other car that I've owned the past 30 years is anybody else having this problem it is really frustrating I'm wondering if there's a problem with the transmitter in the car please let me know thank you
Old 03-11-15, 01:49 PM
GearHead69
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't, and in fact I can open the garage door from the street. Do you have a code hopping system, and if so did you follow the instructions for setting the transmitter in the car? Just asking. I have a system like that and the instructions are different.
Old 03-11-15, 05:47 PM
zskylar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to follow the exact instructions as seen on a couple YouTube videos. I jumped ahead and just hit the learn button on my motor unit and then the home link button sequence and it did not work right. When I went step by step even using a fob remote to start the process it worked and has good range.
Old 03-12-15, 07:06 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I have had no problems with mine. In fact, it has a longer range than my RX or my previous SC. Also, I think I have only to press the button for a second and the signal goes out several times; perhaps this is done to prevent heavy pushing on the bottom of the mirror. It learned my code quickly, and I just visited my daughter and my car learned her gate code and her garage code on the other two buttons right away. I don't think that there is any problem with this system. You should talk to the salesman or the tech-weenie at your Lexus dealership.
Old 03-12-15, 12:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like you got it paired so that good. If you live close to the dealer, I'd arrange with the Service/Sales department if they take your car in to have them issue a loaner of similar nature that you can take home and pair to the garage. Process of elimination, should tell you if it's your car's homelink or your garage door motor causing the issue.

Also when in doubt repair and start over. Here are my Homelink instructions:

How to set up Homelink

Non Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway.
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Test your newly programed Homelink button to ensure it opens the garage door. If door opens congrats! If not proceed to step 5.
5. Wipe out your Homelink system to start clean slate. Hold the first and third Homelink buttons until the red light rapidly flashes.
6. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button and press and hold. While holding the Homelink button, press and release the garage door remote in full one second intervals until the garage door opens or closes depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.

Rolling Code Garage Doors:
1. Park the car in the driveway
2. Hold your garage door remote 4 inches from the Homelink button you want to program.
3. Press and hold both the garage door remote and the Homelink button until the red light rapidly flashes then release both buttons.
4. Grab a step stool or ladder and locate the trainer/testing button on the garage door motor (the unit on the ceiling). Press this button once. You have 30 seconds to get back to the car
5. On the Homelink button you programmed earlier, press and release, press and release and press and hold on the third time. (For each press and release, do so for full one second intervals).
6. The light on the garage door motor should go off/on and then immediately open or close the garage door depending on whether the garage door were already opened or closed.
7. Congrats, you Homelink should now be set. If the Homelink button does not open/close the garage. Press the tester/training button once more on the garage door motor and “Press and Release” the Homelink button until the garage door opens or closes.

If you still can't get it to work, because you have the latest garage door motor, you may need a $30 'Repeater'
Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com Liftmaster 855LM HomeLink® Repeater Kit - Garage Door Hardware - Amazon.com
Old 03-14-15, 09:26 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont beleive this to be a problem. i have a similar issue on another vehicle (toyota) and it may work from street or where ever, but there are "blind spots" where it wont work. even happens with garage door remote itself. thats my take on this. if it is opening it, then its not a pairing or signal issue. or maybe its just me in nj lol
Old 03-14-15, 09:37 AM
tfischer

Blind spots are real. I had one opener that would not work when the car was inside the garage, where you think the signal would be the strongest. It always worked out in the street and in the driveway, but seldom inside the garage. I just lived with it, as there was not much I could do anyway. Good example of a first world problem.
Old 03-14-15, 09:39 AM
RCdriver
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Blind spots are real. I had one opener that would not work when the car was inside the garage, where you think the signal would be the strongest. It always worked out in the street and in the driveway, but seldom inside the garage. I just lived with it, as there was not much I could do anyway. Good example of a first world problem.

the struggle is real!

you can try adjusting the antenna on the opener to see if that helps. or find a way to extend the antenna ( mine is visible on my opener)
Old 03-14-15, 10:30 AM
tfischer

That's a good tip, but it did no good back then. My current cars are fine, and the Homelink in my Lexus cars has always work well. I am pretty sure the opener that did not work inside the garage was before the built-in systems like the Homelink.