Photoshop Forum The place to photoshop rims, bodykits and etc. for your Lexus or other automobile.

Need a cool Lexus border design

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 08:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Default Need a cool Lexus border design

I want to make a mod sheet to put up (or hang from open hood) at HIN and would like to put a Lexus-themed border around the sheet. Something that doesn't make it totally obvious that it's a bunch of Lexus "L's" embedded in the design.

The sheet will be at a minimum legal paper sized and I anticpate the border being 1 or 2 inches around the edge. I'll have mods lised on the left and middle columns, and on the left I'll have a picture of the car and a small dyno sheet scan.

Looking for something not too wild and out there - more conservative but cool. Colors similar to what I have on my car / underhood if possible. Black, silver, chrome, tan, red, yellow, gunmetal, black pearl.

Not looking for the whole mod sheet - just help with options for the border!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-04, 03:26 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the page setup be landscape (horizontal) or portrait (vertical)?
Old 06-05-04, 03:29 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

oh yeah, also, you mentioned legal paper size as in 8" by 11" right?

what's the biggest size you will use? also, for print design, you want something that prints out really really nicely? for super quality print, the design will have to be made with high dpi (dots per inch) which means big file. probably have to email you the file as a PDF or something like that.

but if you have a nice printer and using plain paper, i guess DPI won't be that big of an issue.

for brochure designs, i usually like to do it with 300+ dpi which is pretty big in terms of file size and computer view area.

Last edited by darden; 06-05-04 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 06:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by darden
oh yeah, also, you mentioned legal paper size as in 8" by 11" right?

what's the biggest size you will use? also, for print design, you want something that prints out really really nicely? for super quality print, the design will have to be made with high dpi (dots per inch) which means big file. probably have to email you the file as a PDF or something like that.

but if you have a nice printer and using plain paper, i guess DPI won't be that big of an issue.

for brochure designs, i usually like to do it with 300+ dpi which is pretty big in terms of file size and computer view area.
Thanks Darden,

I'll most likely print it landscape. Legal is 8 1/2 x 14 ( a little longer than letter). Biggest size I might use would be probably be two legal pages.

I'll either print it here on my Canon S800 (was very good color printer a couple of years ago when I got it) or possibly just take it to Kinko's and let them print it on a single sheet of custom sized paper.

Thanks for any help, you can email me if it won't post davegs4 at* clublexus.com
Old 06-06-04, 02:18 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

what about something like this?

i decided to go with lower dpi b/c the file size was absolutely huge with the legal size.

try printing one out and let me know how it looks. still print with 300 dpi. it should be ok. plus it's the border anyway so it should not be as critical for it to be super crisp.
Attached Thumbnails Need a cool Lexus border design-finalborder_01.jpg  
Old 06-06-04, 02:23 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

variant color.
Attached Thumbnails Need a cool Lexus border design-finalborder_02.jpg  
Old 06-06-04, 02:26 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

red
Attached Thumbnails Need a cool Lexus border design-finalborder_03.jpg  
Old 06-07-04, 07:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks, I think one of those will work very nicely!

I've got to go pick up some legal paper to try to print. Scaled up nicely on print preview
Old 06-07-04, 10:40 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Thanks, I think one of those will work very nicely!

I've got to go pick up some legal paper to try to print. Scaled up nicely on print preview
ok cool. let me know how the prints look when you get the chance.
Old 06-08-04, 08:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

ok cool. let me know how the prints look when you get the chance.
Here's a rough first draft, thoughts?

Not sure I'm going to stick with the fonts I've got for title or text
I need to re-capture the dyno sheet at a slightly larger size to preserve readability
I know I've got a few spelling errors (colume instead of volume)

Old 06-08-04, 09:11 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Here's a rough first draft, thoughts?

Not sure I'm going to stick with the fonts I've got for title or text
I need to re-capture the dyno sheet at a slightly larger size to preserve readability
I know I've got a few spelling errors (colume instead of volume)
i ilke the layout. very nicely done. the sub section pictures look great!

yeah, the title font is a bit too fat (bold). the text is not bad. it may be just small looking on the JPG.

the dyno sheet should definitely be bigger like you said.

what about this idea? have all the performance and mod specs on one sheet. and then maybe using the red border for the dyno sheet itself. (don't have to use the red border, could keep it tan theme).

this way, it will give you more room for all the text and maybe making them a size bigger so easier to read. and then give you a whole legal size for the dyno. just an idea.

so far though, it is looking good. the title font and dyno are the only things that needs major tweaking. other things seem to be very good.
Old 06-08-04, 09:12 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

oh yeah, it seems that you are using Ariel for the spec text? looks like ariel.

anyway, i have always liked Ariel Text on White. very sharp.
Old 06-08-04, 09:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

oh yeah, it seems that you are using Ariel for the spec text? looks like ariel.

anyway, i have always liked Ariel Text on White. very sharp.
Yeah, I've been through several font changes and ended up with Arial. Had Palatino and Gautami among others, but Arial is simple and very clean when small. You were right, title was in bold. Unbolded and pumped it up a couple point sizes.

I'm doing this in Macromedia Fireworks. I want to keep it to one page (think resume) if possible. I might do a custom dyno in excel and paste it in rather than the screen capture.
Old 06-08-04, 09:39 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I've been through several font changes and ended up with Arial. Had Palatino and Gautami among others, but Arial is simple and very clean when small. You were right, title was in bold. Unbolded and pumped it up a couple point sizes.

I'm doing this in Macromedia Fireworks. I want to keep it to one page (think resume) if possible. I might do a custom dyno in excel and paste it in rather than the screen capture.
ok, so the dyno is a screen capture. was it a scanned image?

just strange to see the dyno if scanned and sized down looking blurry. unless it was enlarged then it explains the blur.

yeah, i hear you about keeping it one page. it will definitely be cleaner and better.
Old 06-08-04, 10:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

ok, so the dyno is a screen capture. was it a scanned image?

just strange to see the dyno if scanned and sized down looking blurry. unless it was enlarged then it explains the blur.

yeah, i hear you about keeping it one page. it will definitely be cleaner and better.
No, it was a screen capture using MGI Photosuite (has an application screen capture tool, I just grabbed it right out of the Dynojet Runviewer screen). The initial attempt I did drag a little bigger to resize so I hope that's the blur.

Updated version below, I still need to work on the white space a little. I used my newfound knowledge of SAE vs no correction on the dyno to give me 10 more horsepower, lol.

I've only printed it on my laser printer, not on the inkjet for testing. In order to get it into a JPG to upload, I have to export from fireworks, so I suspect there is a little loss in clarity there as well. For the final, I'll just print direct from Fireworks.

All suggestions welcome!