Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing intake and midpipe in a few days.. tips??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 10:37 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Installing intake and midpipe in a few days.. tips??

whats up cl, I've had my invidia midpipe and k&n intake for about a month now but will just get the opportunity to install it in a bit... I got hit on the freeway and wanted to take care of all that first and install the parts after my car is looking nice again

a buddy of mine who works at his dads shop and i are gonna install it, do you guys have any tips or insight from when you guys installed yours or had yours installed?? i saw some things about the midpipe hitting a crossmember brace (i think) on a couple other forums

Thanks guys and merry christmas
Old 12-27-15, 11:09 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 169 Posts

hopefully u are able to get the O2 sensors off cuz mine was tight as hell.. my friend had a tough time even with a torch...
Old 12-31-15, 11:46 AM
heydude819
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're looking to sell the mid pipe, let me know
Old 01-02-16, 05:32 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would read up on the O2 sensor installation procedure. In addition to New gaskets, have new nuts and bolts for mid pipe flanges.
Old 01-02-16, 05:37 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gaugster
I would read up on the O2 sensor installation procedure. In addition to New gaskets, have new nuts and bolts for mid pipe flanges.
i ordered new gaskets but didn't know of the nuts and bolts for the flanges. I appreciate it bro

Parsa
Old 01-04-16, 04:34 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Intake is very straight forward, just assemble and screw in,
Mid pipe you just gotta carefully transfer the O2 sensors, or just purchase new ones for like 60$ and just swap it in.
Old 01-05-16, 10:39 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spray penetrating fluid on the O2 sensors and wait 30 min before attempting to remove them and use a proper socket. Trust me, you don't want to screw this up, I had to buy a new O2 sensor and leave one old one in the pipe. Use antisieze when you put the sensors in the new pipe.

When you tighten up the mid pipe, there will be a bit of play, try and apply upward pressure as you tighten the bolts to allow for as much room as possible between the cross member piece. You still may need to use washers on the cross piece to allow for additional space.

Make sure you have the proper gaskets. I was given the wrong ones multiple times and decided to try and reuse the original gaskets... but they leaked a bit. Finally got the correct gaskets.
Old 01-08-16, 10:33 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Seeing I just went through installing PPE headers this week and had to remove the upper portion of the midpipe, here's my recommendation :

1) Jack up the car as high as you can and place stands under it. (If installing on a lift, lucky you!)
2) You'll more than likely need to use a breaker bar to initially loosen the bolts/nuts...14mm. I'd recommend starting with removing the upper portion of the midpipe connected to the headers. Break loose ALL of the bolts/nuts from all of the flanges BEFORE fully removing any from the midpipe.
3) If you have trouble loosening any of the bolts/nuts, apply heat (propane torch, etc) directly to the flange around the stuck bolt/nut. If you don't have access to a torch, use penetrating lube. I recommend PB Blaster.
4) Definitely invest in a 7/8ths" O2 sensor removal tool. I got mine ("OEM" brand) at Pep Boys for $14.xx.
5) Go ahead and purchase in advance replacement Denso O2 sensors. These are direct plug-and-play replacements at the best price I could find on the net : http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-234-45...Vju9sVZlrzA5cw
6) Use the supplied anti-seize in the new O2 sensors boxes and install the new O2 sensors into the new midpipe.
7) Install new flange gaskets and apply anti-seize onto the bolts.
8) Install new midpipe.
9) Enjoy the new tunes!
Old 01-08-16, 09:48 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you notice power gain after intake and midepipe?
Old 01-09-16, 09:52 AM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Seeing I just went through installing PPE headers this week and had to remove the upper portion of the midpipe, here's my recommendation :

1) Jack up the car as high as you can and place stands under it. (If installing on a lift, lucky you!)
2) You'll more than likely need to use a breaker bar to initially loosen the bolts/nuts...14mm. I'd recommend starting with removing the upper portion of the midpipe connected to the headers. Break loose ALL of the bolts/nuts from all of the flanges BEFORE fully removing any from the midpipe.
3) If you have trouble loosening any of the bolts/nuts, apply heat (propane torch, etc) directly to the flange around the stuck bolt/nut. If you don't have access to a torch, use penetrating lube. I recommend PB Blaster.
4) Definitely invest in a 7/8ths" O2 sensor removal tool. I got mine ("OEM" brand) at Pep Boys for $14.xx.
5) Go ahead and purchase in advance replacement Denso O2 sensors. These are direct plug-and-play replacements at the best price I could find on the net : http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-234-45...Vju9sVZlrzA5cw
6) Use the supplied anti-seize in the new O2 sensors boxes and install the new O2 sensors into the new midpipe.
7) Install new flange gaskets and apply anti-seize onto the bolts.
8) Install new midpipe.
9) Enjoy the new tunes!
wow thanks for all that info lmao much appreciated brother, and yeah my buddy has the o2 remover and all at his shop. think its gonna be up on a lift unless his shop is really busy which it usually is. also im gonna try to reuse the o2 sensors haha if something ****s up ill otder new ones... already ordered new gaskets for the midpipe

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Do you notice power gain after intake and midepipe?

still haven't installed, adjuster is coming to my friends shop on tuesday to approve the estimate for the damages then repairs will start. being 18 this is my first accident experience and insurance isnt that bad they just lag it to hell. have to keep calling them to make sure theyre doing what they need to lol when its all on ill let you know if i can feel the difference