Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

roots blown gs430

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 09:04 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400V8
You know where the exhaust mufflers bolt to the end pipes? I have them disconnected. They are hanging with zip ties to make it look like i have exhaust tips. I tried to explain it in my second paragraph, the exhaust is shooting some sound into these pipes a little and you hear it until im at full throttle. I dont have any exhaust leaks
what kind of mufflers are those?
Old 01-03-17, 10:05 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

They are just some 12" stainless glasspacks or resonators. Combined with the stock resonators in the middle if the car it was too quiet so I unbolted them. I still think its a little quiet but has a nice round sound..
Old 01-07-17, 10:08 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default new exhaust setup

I cut the aero turbine mufflers out and installed some 13 inch long borla resonated tips and adjusted my J pipes shorter by 8 inches. the result is a nice mellow tone and no more drone. my suspicion of the aero turbines being large resonant chambers has been confirmed. the car is enjoyable to drive and is basically straight piped. I have the aero resonators still in place after the x pipe but thats it for any sound deadening. Oh! and the cars low end torque came back with a vengeance. the wheels broke loose like a **** when I barely touched the throttle so very pleased with the results.
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_3601.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3602.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3604.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3605.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3606.jpg  

Old 01-07-17, 10:20 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default new exhaust video

heres the video of straight pipe setup.
The following users liked this post:
My1stV8GS (01-10-17)
Old 01-07-17, 10:24 AM
RcktCouch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds fricken awesome man, yeah I'm still looking for different mufflers or maybe even this would be a good idea for me as well. How did u figure out the length for the j pipe? That is new to me
Old 01-10-17, 09:26 AM
My1stV8GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You give me will to live.
Old 01-10-17, 06:21 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by My1stV8GS
You give me will to live.
Lol... Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
My1stV8GS (01-12-17)
Old 01-25-17, 02:54 PM
4doors
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to drop in and say great build so far and hope you continue posting more, keep the forums alive.

Hope you can come up with a solution to the slow shifting issues. Would you recommend the torque converter upgrade for a stock car? drive-ability suffer part throttle?
Old 01-25-17, 08:49 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4doors
Just wanted to drop in and say great build so far and hope you continue posting more, keep the forums alive.

Hope you can come up with a solution to the slow shifting issues. Would you recommend the torque converter upgrade for a stock car? drive-ability suffer part throttle?
the 2,800 stall converter is fun but if you have a loud exhaust system, every time you accelerate you can hear the engine revving to 3000 rpms. it gets kind of annoying. BUT!!!! just tonight on my way home on a desolate stretch of highway, I was stopped at a redlight and decided to stall the car out to 3000 rpms while holding my foot on the brake and giving it gas, than when the light turned green i just nailed it and it was the best feeling. now granted im putting alot of power to the ground but even when I was not supercharged, the converter made a big difference in launches. maybe 2800 is a little excessive. If I had to do it again I'd probably would have ordered a 2,400 stall.
Old 02-05-17, 01:09 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Your build looks great. Just popping in randomly on CL. I was looking to see what V8 progress anyone has done since the last time I was really active on here, which was probably 4-5 years ago lol. I am planning to do a V8 build in the near future. 1UZ VVTi with forged internals, single turbo, and standalone.

For your VB shifting issue you will need the control valve for the 1-2 shift modified internally. Most trans builders do not to the 1-2 on the A650E. Maybe they haven't found out how to do it yet? My 1-2 shifts are hilariously quick. As in smoking the tires into 2nd gear after shifting out of 1st. On the built GS300's we build at my shop, I believe I have found the uppermost limit for the A650E. The highest I have been able to push through it so far is 960whp/805tq on the dyno. I couldn't get the dyno to load up the car enough to get more than 36psi boost. I know we probably have eclipsed 1000whp mark on the street with 45psi boost. However, the transmission is really hating life at that range lol. Just saying the A650E has a lot of potential that most people don't even know is there!
Old 02-05-17, 07:08 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

thanks for the complement. I've had in my car for the longest time a much firmer spring and aluminum spacer for the B-2 accumulator that is for the 1-2 shift. ill pull the vb back down and put that spring in there and see if it helps. maybe while the vb is down ill get into the 1-2 control valve. i have literature for the vb that lists all locations of control valves along with spring sizes and coils etc.... I'd like to roll up there sometime and check out your operation. plus we should go racing. ill bring a go pro.
Old 04-03-17, 11:55 PM
crunchee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say, I love to come back to this thread every month or so to see what else you've done to your GS! I actually just got a GS430 in August and I think I might start planning to go this route with my car. I was also curious about how you figured out your J-pipes and why they needed to be shortened.
Old 04-04-17, 04:47 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by crunchee
I must say, I love to come back to this thread every month or so to see what else you've done to your GS! I actually just got a GS430 in August and I think I might start planning to go this route with my car. I was also curious about how you figured out your J-pipes and why they needed to be shortened.
Im still driving the crap out of this car daily and its hanging in there. I'm always tweaking little things here and there. Currently, there is a huge project under way with it that I'm excited to announce whats its done. I have another thread titled "calling all with good taste" in the regular forum that you should check out. Its the cherry on top of what the secret project currently is. The J pipes go shorter when the drone is higher in the rpm range. I still haven't shortened them yet. even though it only takes a few minutes.
Old 04-05-17, 05:47 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default some video of the supercharged lexus doing its thing

please listen to at high volume, preferably in a residential neighborhood.

Last edited by badblackgs; 04-05-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 05:42 PM
mistagill
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that thing moves! Shifts super quick aswell.

Take it to the track! I know we all want to see what your running.

Quick Reply: roots blown gs430