Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

roots blown gs430

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 07:26 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Attention!!!

I have finally perfected the most perfect exhaust sound ever. and was able to regain my lowend torque I lost way back when i thought bigger is better when it comes to exhaust. so here it is. after putting on the aero turbine mufflers on the rear, it sounded amazing idling and at WOT but everywhere in between was drone city. and very annoying. plus I noticed a tremendous loss of low end torque and the engine felt laggy. SO! ordered two aero resonators that are 2 1/2 diameter. ten feet of 2 1/4 thick walled stainless steel, two 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 transitions, and four 2 1/4 mandrel bent 90's. after the x pipe I welded on the resonators to the existing 2 1/2 pipes. than welded on the transitions from 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 than ran 2 1/4 the rest of the way back to the mufflers. basically, the goal was to quiet down the loud *** exhaust, remove a ton of the drone, and regain the velocity I lost when I went to 2 1/2 all the way back. and it was successful! the car drives very responsive, and is not rattle trap now. the smaller exhaust on the back half is the secret to speeding up the exhaust velocity to keep it going quickly and not become denser and heavier as it cooled.
Old 10-06-16, 07:33 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

some pics of the underside.
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_3410.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3411.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3412.jpg  
Old 10-06-16, 07:52 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Garage envy. Bad.
Old 10-09-16, 09:24 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
I don't think you have read thru my entire thread than. there is a few pages back pictures of me installing a complete 2 1/2 inch exhaust system with an x pipe. so no, I don't have a y pipe anymore. that factory y pipe would choke my engine.
Nah, missed that one.
Actually, according to a couple of OG's on here the Stock Y would not have too much adverse effects with FI. a couple of guys have done the math and actually recommend keeping the stock Y merge collector configuration but increasing the OD piping to 2.125 and increasing the collector outlet to 2.50.
Old 10-29-16, 02:41 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

got some GTECH PRO numbers.
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_3439.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3440.jpg  
Old 10-29-16, 02:51 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

after posting the GTECH numbers, I realized that running the quarter mile at 106mph should yield a quicker time than 13.2. so i started looking at quarter mile times and calculators, it looks like my actual time should be closer to 12.5. that would kick ***. so ill take a trip to the local drag strip and see how close GTech is. any thoughts?
Old 12-27-16, 05:30 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

black any updates on the beast?
Old 12-27-16, 06:00 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kamlung
black any updates on the beast?
dude don't get me started. ever since i put those aero turbine mufflers in it I had this drone between 2k-3k rpms. for the past few months ive been trying out different things to get rid of it. even though the exhaust sounds really nice outside, the drone under load just too much. so literally today i left work early to go to a buddies custom car shop and install some J pipes on the back of the exhaust before the rear mufflers. i read pages and pages of forums on branch resonators a.k.a. J pipes so figure out the correct length and what rpm the drone occurs at. I found some pre made 2 1/4 inch diameter U shaped pipes that I welded a cap on one end than attached them perpendicularly to the exhaust system. interestingly, the interior is quiet until the rpms hit 2,400 than its as if a switch is turned on and the drone comes blasting in. so I need shorten the total length from 31 inches currently to maybe 26" and see if that targets the drone more to the 2-3k range. but supercharger wise the car is still running great. no engine lights. the other ordeal is trying to get my 1-2 shift nailed down. every once in awhile it doesn't wanna shift into second and will bounce off the rev limiter and I have to lift to shift. even with the IPT valve body upgrade. Im shooting for next year buying the bullet cars supercharger manifold which will put the snout of the supercharger thru the hood. hell ya
Attached Thumbnails roots blown gs430-img_3549.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3546.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3526.jpg   roots blown gs430-img_3387.jpg  

Last edited by badblackgs; 12-27-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 08:36 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol @ the radiator hose between the SC belt! I like that!

Regarding the drone issue, are you sure that's the kind of "muffler" you want? Those things are like straight through right? I know it sounds bad *** but I'd hate hearing that for an hour or two. Even just the intake noise of my v8 gets to me with any amount of hills.

It's just not Lexus-esque ya know?

Get to the track already! I'm curious of your actual 1/4 mile and if these gtech deals really work.
Old 12-31-16, 12:21 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. those aero turbine mufflers were about 70 a piece. they sound awesome outside but due to their thin metal body and straight thru design with no sound deadening materials they are basically huge resonant chambers that amplify the drone sound. when I had the old 5x8 magnaflows on the car it sounded great and didn't have any drone at all. but I threw them away cuz they rattled when I took them off one day to upgrade my exhaust pipes. only the newest GTECH are legitimate. because they use GPS signals to monitor the car and not g sensors based on calculations you put into it. so its only as accurate as the information you put in and hope for the best.
Old 01-03-17, 05:02 AM
RcktCouch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey badblackgs, I been reading your thread and holy crap man hats off to you for an amazing and inspiring build. I obviously just registered on the forums so I could comment on your thread man! Lol.

I actually own the car that you Posted the video of with the aero mufflers as well lol. That video was from the previous owner awhile back. I've had the car for almost a year now. Its got just the basic intake, headers and the exhaust system which I might add like u said has ALOT of cabin drone but I guess I've gotten use to it lol. About your ipt valve body change, is it a big difference in how hard it shifts? I really want to get this done.

​​​​​​I know u said u wouldn't sell the intake manifolds at first because it being costly but I also seen u say you were gonna try and work something out, are u still entertaining the idea possibly? This is something I'd be interested in for sure. Its either this or the centrifugal route which I take it won't make nearly as much power?

Last edited by RcktCouch; 01-03-17 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 04:46 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RcktCouch
Hey badblackgs, I been reading your thread and holy crap man hats off to you for an amazing and inspiring build. I obviously just registered on the forums so I could comment on your thread man! Lol.

I actually own the car that you Posted the video of with the aero mufflers as well lol. That video was from the previous owner awhile back. I've had the car for almost a year now. Its got just the basic intake, headers and the exhaust system which I might add like u said has ALOT of cabin drone but I guess I've gotten use to it lol. About your ipt valve body change, is it a big difference in how hard it shifts? I really want to get this done.

​​​​​​I know u said u wouldn't sell the intake manifolds at first because it being costly but I also seen u say you were gonna try and work something out, are u still entertaining the idea possibly? This is something I'd be interested in for sure. Its either this or the centrifugal route which I take it won't make nearly as much power?
Ill sell you the supercharger intake manifold thats currently on the car now if you want. ive already decided to move up to the taller supercharger manifold thats out of australia because itll make the supercharger poke thru the hood which im down for. private message me if your serious and we can work out the details. the ipt valve body makes a big difference but did not do anything for the 1-2 shift. and based on how much it costs it should have. but ill post updates once i finally nail it down. for the muffler issue, i pulled the trigger on some borla 13 inch long resonated double wall tips. i will cut off the aero turbines and install the long tips in place. It sounds counter productive but removing the aero mufflers that drone for some resonated tips will probably sound amazing and get rid of my drone. plus ive already got the J pipes installed so they can be fine tuned if a drone occurs. thanks for the kind words.
The following users liked this post:
RcktCouch (01-03-17)
Old 01-03-17, 05:26 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Bad, you change your exhaust as much as me I just went catless so I put the stock resonators on, nothing else. I feel like it's a good smooth sound, and doesn't drone. I just miss the rasp from my last setup, although not the drone. Im thinking of going a little louder with 15" resos instead of the stock 22" but I'm not sure. I hope you get close.

Here's my current setup. You might here a flapping sound, becuase I disconnected the rear 12" glasspacks, and some exhaust is hitting inside there because they are just hanging. Basically I just have Headers>Catless>No joiner pipe>Stock Resonators

Last edited by GS400V8; 01-03-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-17, 07:19 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

no offense but that sounds terrible. fix the problem than repost a video. I can hear that exhaust leak.
Old 01-03-17, 07:51 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

You know where the exhaust mufflers bolt to the end pipes? I have them disconnected. They are hanging with zip ties to make it look like i have exhaust tips. I tried to explain it in my second paragraph, the exhaust is shooting some sound into these pipes a little and you hear it until im at full throttle. I dont have any exhaust leaks

Quick Reply: roots blown gs430