Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Going manual? This might help out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 12:09 PM
maxEX84
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Going manual? This might help out

I found the full wiring diagram for the 2nd gen GS300 with the 5 speed A650E auto trans. After quite a bit of searching and running into dead ends with figuring out the wiring situation for my manual swap, I decided to fork out some cash to have the full service manuals for what I needed. Hopefully this will help some of you out that want to get rid of that CEL if you're in a state that does OBD2 checks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ect__2jz_ge_.pdf (103.6 KB, 872 views)
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (09-29-20)
Old 08-21-15, 11:23 AM
maxEX84
Driver School Candidate

If you guys need a more broken down version for what you need to do, here you go.

For main transmission 12 pin plug:

Pattern:
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12

Trans temp sender:Pins 1&7=200 ohm resistor
SLT solenoid: Pins 2 to 8=5.5 ohm resistor
SLN solenoid: Pins 3 to 9=3.9 ohm resistor
SLU solenoid: Pins 4 to10=5.5 ohm resistor
Shift 1 solenoid: Pin 6 to Ground=15 ohm resistor
Shift 2 solenoid: Pin 12 to Ground=15 ohm resistor
Shift 3 solenoid: Pin 5 to Ground=15 ohm resistor
Shift 4 solenoid: Pin 11 to Ground=15 ohm resistor

this is all just to not have any codes or CEL pop up
The following 3 users liked this post by maxEX84:
firelizard (09-29-20), JDMfoLIFE (03-02-21), Kris9884 (09-10-17)
Old 08-22-15, 11:59 AM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max, your the ****ing man. I was just looking at my service manual print outs and wrote all the resistances. This'll be nice for anyone that happens to stumble upon it during their research!

Since I'm not an EE or anything close, I'm stuck at what type of resistors to use, and what watt rating. I really want to make a nice resistor box for the manual swap.
JDMfoLIFE (03-02-21)
Old 08-24-15, 06:28 PM
maxEX84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xHyaku
Max, your the ****ing man. I was just looking at my service manual print outs and wrote all the resistances. This'll be nice for anyone that happens to stumble upon it during their research!

Since I'm not an EE or anything close, I'm stuck at what type of resistors to use, and what watt rating. I really want to make a nice resistor box for the manual swap.
I actually found all the resistors I needed from an audio supply store and were fairly cheap. They were almost all ceramic resistors except for the 200 ohm that I found at radio shack. Soldered them up to a printer circuit board with lead wires to their respective spots and individual grounds to a common grounding point.
Old 08-24-15, 08:47 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxEX84
I actually found all the resistors I needed from an audio supply store and were fairly cheap. They were almost all ceramic resistors except for the 200 ohm that I found at radio shack. Soldered them up to a printer circuit board with lead wires to their respective spots and individual grounds to a common grounding point.
Sounds legit.

I need to start on mine soon, especially since I have all this down time.
Old 09-15-15, 05:16 AM
maxEX84
Driver School Candidate

So after playing around and finally understanding where everything is, here's what I got to make my swap work. This is to be used with the wiring diagram I posted up above, there are 4 plugs on there, one for the solenoid control(E1), gear position switch(P1), and 2 are speed sensors, one for o/d lock up and the other for vehicle speed, vehicle speed you will obviously use.
On P1 you will splice together wires at pin #5 & #6 to bypass the park/neutral safety to be able to start the car( or run it to a hidden switch if you want an added anti-theft). And pin #4 & #7 for the same plug are the wires for the reverse light switch on your new trans. On E1, you must mock all the solenoid resistance values to whatever respective pin sets or ground points there is a full description on resistance values for each solenoid in the diagram.
All the mechanical work is pretty straight forward with little fabrication involved. I suggest doing it all with the engine out since spacing in the trans tunnel is pretty tight to fit the bell housing from underneath. (it was a huge pain for me). Good luck with the build.
Old 09-24-16, 07:48 AM
Cranix
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being the tranys are the same, I think. This info would work for a gs430?
Old 09-24-16, 06:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cranix
Being the tranys are the same, I think. This info would work for a gs430?
technically yes. the issue you'd run into I imagine would be 1.) getting a manual trans that bolts up to the 3uz or a custom adapter and 2.) driveshaft length.
Old 10-02-16, 08:05 AM
Cranix
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What clutch peddle set up are you using?
Old 10-02-16, 12:11 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

This ought to be stickied. I've been looking for a definitive solution to the transmission puzzle and this is exactly what I needed to know.
Old 09-10-17, 05:30 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to bring this back but after searching, I came to this and its a huge help! Thanks OP, I 2nd the stickiness of this...
Old 03-04-19, 06:19 PM
jp3543
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxEX84
do you have any pictures of this if so can you email them to me please johnparsley43@gmail.com
Old 09-29-20, 06:39 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts

While nobody is on the subject, I happened across a conversion kit that should work for the pedals. It’s for converting a Supra to a manual, but it should still be a good starting point when your unable to get the pedals from the vehicle donating the transmission.

Old 09-29-20, 04:51 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

This thread is a little nugget of gold. I've added it to the the FAQ.
Old 09-30-20, 08:35 AM
maxEX84
Driver School Candidate

Wow... Been a few years years since I started this thread. Great to see some folks actually benefitted from it as well. Sorry I haven't answered any questions really. But I'm sure by now you guys found what you were looking for.
to answer some questions though, the teams I used was a 6 speed Nissan CD009 with the bell housing cut and the A340 belong bolted in place with an adapter that I had milled at the time with custom flywheel with Nissan clutch and a shifter setup that I couldn't believe worked. LolAfter that was a driveshaft that I welded up and had a shop balance for me. As for the pedals, I moved to a full wildwood set with new master cylinders for both clutch and brakes to get rid of that crazy ABS matter the GS comes with.
sorry again that I don't have any pictures. I ended up selling my build a couple months after I finished the swap because I had to move across the country. Something that happens to a lot of military guys.
Thank you everyone!
Ona side note for anyone doing this swap, y'all don't have to go through the pain I had to, Collins adapters had everything you need for the swap beside my original solution for the CEL codes.
firelizard (09-30-20)

Quick Reply: Going manual? This might help out