Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Good sound, but no in-cabin drone mutually exclusive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 07:32 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good sound, but no in-cabin drone mutually exclusive?

So looking at exhausts. In the past I've had Magnaflows on my Accord v6, and even Tanabe Medallion on my S2000... both chosen specifically because they were known to have good sound (not too loud) but more importantly for me, no drone. I do a lot of highway driving and to hear that buzzing in your ear after hours 2 or 3 gets old real quick.

That said, I'm looking at both options here on clublexus for the IS350, but consensus seems to be that they're TOO quiet.

I really like the sound of the Joe-Z axle backs, but can't get a clear answer on how bad the interior drone is.

So my question out there is, if any of you have heard multiple exhausts in person before... whats got the best sound on the outside but cuts down the drone on the inside?
Old 07-27-15, 10:25 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

These Japanese V6s have some degree of drone no matter if you go axle back or cat back. My Tanabe lightly drones (more like a deep hum) up until 3,500 RPM as does the F Sport Axle back, and those are the two quietest exhausts made for this car. If I was you, and had concerns, I would choose either JoeZ, Tanabe or F Sport and then add a midpipe if you need to. I promise you that Ark, Agency Power and Full Joe Z will have some drone at low RPM (which is highway cruising). I had a 370z which is also a Japanese V6 with similar displacement and it had a light drone at certain RPMs as well.

So to answer your question, I believe that drone is an element to some degree of all exhaust options out there. Again, my Tanabe axle back is pretty quiet but still has a deep hum at low RPMs. Just kind of the way the engine is designed.
Old 07-27-15, 11:31 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ddvette9
These Japanese V6s have some degree of drone no matter if you go axle back or cat back. My Tanabe lightly drones (more like a deep hum) up until 3,500 RPM as does the F Sport Axle back, and those are the two quietest exhausts made for this car. If I was you, and had concerns, I would choose either JoeZ, Tanabe or F Sport and then add a midpipe if you need to. I promise you that Ark, Agency Power and Full Joe Z will have some drone at low RPM (which is highway cruising). I had a 370z which is also a Japanese V6 with similar displacement and it had a light drone at certain RPMs as well.

So to answer your question, I believe that drone is an element to some degree of all exhaust options out there. Again, my Tanabe axle back is pretty quiet but still has a deep hum at low RPMs. Just kind of the way the engine is designed.
It's interesting that you said that, I've heard that same exact thing before (in regards to the g35, g37 and q50). Didn't know this was a wider spread problem with japanese v6s
Old 07-27-15, 12:06 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
It's interesting that you said that, I've heard that same exact thing before (in regards to the g35, g37 and q50). Didn't know this was a wider spread problem with japanese v6s
Was that sarcasm or were you being serious? Hopefully no one was offended by my comment, was just clarifying the country of origin. As everyone knows, different countries have different design strategies.....
Old 07-27-15, 12:07 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Thank you for the input, very appreciated. My 3.5L Accord Coupe had a magnaflow catback that I think was perfect. Of course you'll always get some noise, if not then whats the point? But theres a big difference between that, and the custom 2.5" straight pipe i had a muffler shop do on my 97 Acura CL back in the day. Drone for days (which actually sounded excellent for the 3.0L V6). But the magnaflows on the Accord on the other hand, the drone was so non existent i actually had a muffler shop replace the resonator with a smaller one, that increased sound, had a bit more drone but nothing that wasn't easily covered up by moderate volume music.

For price, alone, I think I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow again. But I would strongly consider the Tanabe Medalion or Joe Z axle backs.
Old 07-27-15, 12:38 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the F-Sport Axle back and it drones a tiny bit on the highway, but nothing compared to other brands.
Old 07-27-15, 12:48 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Medallion Touring and it's pretty quiet, makes a V8-style BOOOOOOOO from 2000 till 3500 RPM when factory sound generator comes into play. The sound is far from I expected, but comfortable enough for daily driving without any inconvenience. No drone actually, just a specific sound scene inside cabin described by ddvette9.
Recently met a buddy who runs Magnaflow axle back and K&N intake - MUCH MORE growl, especially after 3000 RPM! But still comfy, with a slightly more noise than Tanabe makes.
Old 07-27-15, 12:50 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Nice thanks for the feedback, very helpful!
Old 07-28-15, 03:53 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Many of our exhausts systems available (even the OEM exhaust system) don't feature a Helmholtz chambers, which will resolve many drone issues if tuned to the correct frequency while allowing louder exhaust notes. This is not similar to a traditional resonator which dampens noise, it simply works 180 degrees out of phase with pressure waves in your exhaust to cancel out drone at a specific Hz without any affect on the exhaust note: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449416

My M3's factory muffler had this and you could modify any portion of the exhaust directly in front of the muffler to increase volume and it would never drone. However once you replaced it with a catback system w/o a Helmholtz chamber, it would drone or you could spend extra and buy a system with one. Here is a sample of how loud my M3 was and it never droned:

Last edited by Loe; 07-28-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-28-15, 02:04 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Was that sarcasm or were you being serious? Hopefully no one was offended by my comment, was just clarifying the country of origin. As everyone knows, different countries have different design strategies.....
No sarcasm at all, didn't know this was a widespread belief (or knowledge, if true). Literally, someone once told me "You're always going to get some degree of drone with these V6's" (we were talking about lexus' and infinitis at the time)
Old 07-29-15, 07:22 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
So looking at exhausts. In the past I've had Magnaflows on my Accord v6, and even Tanabe Medallion on my S2000... both chosen specifically because they were known to have good sound (not too loud) but more importantly for me, no drone. I do a lot of highway driving and to hear that buzzing in your ear after hours 2 or 3 gets old real quick.

That said, I'm looking at both options here on clublexus for the IS350, but consensus seems to be that they're TOO quiet.

I really like the sound of the Joe-Z axle backs, but can't get a clear answer on how bad the interior drone is.

So my question out there is, if any of you have heard multiple exhausts in person before... whats got the best sound on the outside but cuts down the drone on the inside?
I have the Joe-Z axle-back on my IS350 and it does indeed drone. However, IF you keep the revs above 2-3k the drone disappears completely. I have the 8spd automatic which likes to shift very early, so I get drone quite often around town (going from stop up to speed, casual driving, very light throttle input).

Is the drone worth living with? IMO, no not really. This car was extremely quiet without the exhaust and sometimes I miss that now. Each their own, this is just my opinion today.
Old 07-29-15, 07:28 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
I have the Joe-Z axle-back on my IS350 and it does indeed drone. However, IF you keep the revs above 2-3k the drone disappears completely. I have the 8spd automatic which likes to shift very early, so I get drone quite often around town (going from stop up to speed, casual driving, very light throttle input).

Is the drone worth living with? IMO, no not really. This car was extremely quiet without the exhaust and sometimes I miss that now. Each their own, this is just my opinion today.
Thanks for this bud its exactly what I needed to confirm. I decided to go with a Magnaflow. I had it on the Accord and it was a great combination of sound and no drone. I dont know if it'll be loud enough for me, but if not I can consider a midpipe at some point. Since my wife primarily drives this car, I dont want anything too obnoxious... I'll leave the noise for my s2000 lol.

I'll try to update the thread with some vids once I have the car, and exhaust. (taking delivery by the end of August).
Old 07-29-15, 08:58 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Did a muffler delete and had 2.5in straight pipes installed. That sucker droned like crazy on highway speeds, especially uphill, those were the worst. After about 3k RPM, the drone goes away and it sounds super nice. Outside, the sound was phenomenal, however I had to pay the price inside. I just put the stock exhaust back on today and that low hum noise is finally gone
Old 05-01-16, 08:08 PM
murfman89
Rookie

Originally Posted by itisme1760
Did a muffler delete and had 2.5in straight pipes installed. That sucker droned like crazy on highway speeds, especially uphill, those were the worst. After about 3k RPM, the drone goes away and it sounds super nice. Outside, the sound was phenomenal, however I had to pay the price inside. I just put the stock exhaust back on today and that low hum noise is finally gone
When you say "put stock exhaust back on", did you just mean the resonator, midpipe or just the muffler? I have an Invidia midpipe with Magnaflow axle back and it drones way too much. I am getting the OEM midpipe reinstalled this week which will add the resonator and two cats back in line, so HOPEFULLY this will fix most of the drone noise.

Thoughts or comments ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-01-16, 11:02 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Originally Posted by murfman89
When you say "put stock exhaust back on", did you just mean the resonator, midpipe or just the muffler? I have an Invidia midpipe with Magnaflow axle back and it drones way too much. I am getting the OEM midpipe reinstalled this week which will add the resonator and two cats back in line, so HOPEFULLY this will fix most of the drone noise.

Thoughts or comments ?

Thanks,

Mike
It should help, especially with Magnaflow being one of the quieter exhausts out there.

Quick Reply: Good sound, but no in-cabin drone mutually exclusive?