Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2uz intake to 3uz gs430

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 06:49 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Success!!!!

Finally finished the 2uz composite plastic intake manifold to my 02gs430. it was an epic pain because I chose to do it towards the end of the day as I ran out of work at work (mechanic). So I pulled my car into a bay and proceeded to rip the factory aluminum intake off which Ive done quite a few times chasing knock sensor codes when I was rocking the turbo. So I started with fitting the 2uz plastic intake in place which right off the bat it wouldn't fit because of the height of it was causing the driv. rear bolt that sticks up to hang up on the intake so I had to cut a c notch in the plastic intake driv. rear hole. so once I got it to fit in place, I than removed it and transferred over the intake manifold runner control solenoid and vacuum lines to the new plastic tundra intake. I had to get rid of the plastic vacuum reservoir and just run the solenoid from the vaccum source (intake nipple) to the solenoid than to the rear vacuum diaphragm that controls the butterfly valves. than I installed the new intake gaskets, checked fitment on the brown 2uz injectors and o rings than secured fuel rails to intake. had to use the 3uz fuel line to fuel rail pipe due to its design that feeds both fuel rails instead of the tundra fuel rails I was planning on. Than I fit that bad boy which is considerably lighter than the factory aluminum one (big plus). I proceeded to start hooking up vacuum lines and evap lines than had to cap off with thick rubber plugs some of the vacuum ports the tundra intake had, like the brake booster line in the back which my gs doesn't have. hooked up the injectors and installed my slightly modified 3uz throttle body onto the intake than double checked everything and fired it up. Or attempted to that is. I discovered that the green injector connectors which I thought I modified to fit were not even making contact with the electrical terminals inside the injectors. so I had to mutilate the factory green connectors to fit down snug inside the injectors so I could start the car and drive it home. I will have to resolve that temporary setback later. So I hooked my scan tool up and pulled up fuel trims along with maf readings and 02 readings. than started the car. I was amazed to see the tundra injectors were allowing me to read perfect 0 fuel trims plus or minus 2. I let it warm up than took it for a drive. The results weren't what I expected. The purpose mainly of the intake swap was for the taller height of it which was supposed to make more lowend torque. well after cruising around a punching it from stop I didn't determine a difference. HOWEVER!!!! What I did discover was the while cruising fifty and punching it the car snaps back and actually throws me back in my seat and pulls read hard. I would say based on the amount I spent and the total time invested than I would recommend it to others simply based off the fact that its lighter, resists heat soak better, has completely smooth runners inside for less turbulence for air flow, and altered the exhaust sound slightly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2uz1.pdf (50.2 KB, 529 views)
File Type: pdf
2uz2.pdf (41.5 KB, 387 views)
Old 08-27-15, 08:18 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

heres some pics I have
Attached Thumbnails 2uz intake to 3uz gs430-310.jpg   2uz intake to 3uz gs430-339.jpg   2uz intake to 3uz gs430-340.jpg   2uz intake to 3uz gs430-343.jpg   2uz intake to 3uz gs430-345.jpg  

Old 08-27-15, 08:39 PM
xHyaku
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that's legit.
Old 09-05-15, 10:55 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bad Black GS. Thanks for the write up. I have been wondering about the ability to interchange manifolds.
I have been interested in looking into putting the TRD Supercharger on my 2002 GS430.
How was the height clearance with the taller manifold on the GS.
Other then the couple things you put in your write up, do you see any other roadblocks that might stop the supercharger from fitting in the GS, or working on the 3uz?

Thanks again.
Bob
Old 09-05-15, 09:27 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default rdm20fan

If you fit a trd supercharger on your gs430 before I do Im gonna be jealous. Are you aware theres someone on here already that goes by bluelex that already put a trd supercharger on a gs400. seems to fit and he has a writeup on it. it fits. Im gonna do the same thing but keep it as simple as possible. trust me, I learned the hardway when I did the turbo on my 430. you can read about it if your interested under single turbo 430. I would use a split second controller extra injector controller with a meth injection kit to reduce detonation.
Old 09-07-15, 07:56 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking forward to you guys installing the TRD Supercharger. I really hope you can make a full detail step by step DIY for us guys that want to do it.
Old 09-07-15, 09:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

the 430 upper intake flows better than our GS400 intake correct? did you notice any gains?
Old 09-08-15, 09:00 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

I don't believe there is a difference between the gs400 and 430 intake manifold. both are the same height and the variable intake runner valves.
Old 09-13-15, 04:57 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by badblackgs
If you fit a trd supercharger on your gs430 before I do Im gonna be jealous. Are you aware theres someone on here already that goes by bluelex that already put a trd supercharger on a gs400. seems to fit and he has a writeup on it. it fits. Im gonna do the same thing but keep it as simple as possible. trust me, I learned the hardway when I did the turbo on my 430. you can read about it if your interested under single turbo 430. I would use a split second controller extra injector controller with a meth injection kit to reduce detonation.
Thanks BadBlackGS. I'm a long way from bolting a supercharger onto my GS.
I just wanted to get some input from someone who has a little experience in the area.

The trans can't handle a lot of additional power, along with the rods n Pistons. They were built light weight for fuel efficiency rather then for power.

I know that the plastic UZ intake is lighter, and also has longer runner which is good for low end torque, but the 2nd gen 1uz, and 3uz intakes have a dual runner design which opens a shorter runner at high rpm. What you might be gaining down low may be being given up up high since the 2uz intake can't switch to a short runner at higher rpm.

I don't know if it's really a huge difference either way. Since you seem to be the only guy with actual experience, maybe you can give us your input.

I'm hoping we can find lots of little hidden tq and hp in stock parts.
I've done the complete build on my SC and although it's a cool fast car it no longer something in which my wife likes riding in.
Old 09-13-15, 06:19 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Default ????

On the contrary my friend. The 2uz intake from the 2006 4.7 tundra DOES have the variable length runner design. What was interesting about the intake is, it doesn't have a vacuum reservoir like my factory aluminum intake manifold for controlling the butterfly valves. So I hooked it up tundra style and didn't use the vacuum reservoir, which would have ensured the valves stayed closed up till 4k rpm when their commanded to open and let the intake charge have a shorter length. So now Im thinking that I'm losing out on low end torque because its basically hooked up vacuum source to solenoid to diaphragm that then keeps valves closed under vacuum but as soon as I romp on it the valves open prematurely instead of hanging closed until 4k. So I need to pull It back off and install the vacuum reservoir and see what that does. but honestly all my focus is now on parts acquisition for the supercharger.
Old 09-13-15, 06:23 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

heres a pic of the inside of the tundra intake.
Attached Thumbnails 2uz intake to 3uz gs430-311.jpg  
Old 02-16-18, 02:09 PM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey badblackgs, I know you’ve long since ditched this project, but I’d consider doing something like it for my GS400. Do you still have this manifold and would you sell it?
Old 03-25-18, 07:09 AM
eicca
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

@badblackgs I sent you a PM.
Old 08-11-20, 09:22 PM
RxVedub
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever put the vacuum canister back on? Can't leave us hangin for years man lol
Old 08-14-20, 04:57 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Anyone going FI would usually plan to keep the flaps open or remove them altogether, so all the extra work to experiment with it probably wouldn't have been beneficial. The 2j has a flapper too which I removed completely to allow boost flow to travel with less resistance. If he planned to do a centrifugal SC, then the best route would be to remove the flapper assemblies and open up for flow. If using a roots or twin screw SC, then you wouldn't have this manifold or be messing with in the first place.

Quick Reply: 2uz intake to 3uz gs430