Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Gs400 not Downshifting!

Old 12-09-14, 05:21 AM   #1
islexusred
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default Gs400 not Downshifting!

Hey fellas, so my 98 GS400 with 180k miles on it ( still pulls like the day i got it) has this weird issue at least to me, on normal driving lets say at about 45 mph, when entering a freeway entrance or slowing down to turn at about 15 mph, i have noticed the car doesnt downshift as it should. it feels like it holds on 4th gear most of the time... ive been changing the ATF once a year with toyota type-v fluids everytime and the fluid looks cherry red...most times i have to step on the gas pedal more than i should to get it to downshift! i reset the computer often but the issue persists. all maintenance like cleaning TB , MAF, TPS, APPS have been replaced or cleaned. Any ideas??? thanks guys.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
islexusred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 07:29 PM   #2
islexusred
Pole Position

Anybody?
Old 12-10-14, 01:34 AM   #3
marshun
Pole Position

mine delays from 2-1 and from what i've read, it could be a solenoid problem. im still digging around myself to find an answer
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 07:50 AM   #4
wbmx1981
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by islexusred View Post
Hey fellas, so my 98 GS400 with 180k miles on it ( still pulls like the day i got it) has this weird issue at least to me, on normal driving lets say at about 45 mph, when entering a freeway entrance or slowing down to turn at about 15 mph, i have noticed the car doesnt downshift as it should. it feels like it holds on 4th gear most of the time... ive been changing the ATF once a year with toyota type-v fluids everytime and the fluid looks cherry red...most times i have to step on the gas pedal more than i should to get it to downshift! i reset the computer often but the issue persists. all maintenance like cleaning TB , MAF, TPS, APPS have been replaced or cleaned. Any ideas??? thanks guys.
The only time I had shifting issues was when I had the “infamous” solenoid C issue. My code at the time was P0763. Do you have any codes? Is the check engine light on?
wbmx1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 08:55 PM   #5
islexusred
Pole Position

The delay on mine is only on higher gears, it holds on the 4th gear even on low speeds specially when turning. as for codes i dont have any!!! Someone on a different thread not sure if its related mentioned that it could be from the computer learning my driving habits. i hardly rev up past 2.5k. i do floor once a while tho when a traffic light challenges me... what other symptoms would the solenoid give me besides delays on gear changes?
Old 12-13-14, 02:16 PM   #6
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

its_paulo

if its the computer learning your driving mine does the same, i used to fiddle with the tiptronic buttons all the time when i drove, and would always down shift to slow me down, and on a hill that i usually downshift on purpose, if i go down the same way in automatic it still downshifts for me.

98 GS400, slammed, drifted, daily'd
SC4Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-14, 07:05 PM   #7
islexusred
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4Paulo View Post
if its the computer learning your driving mine does the same, i used to fiddle with the tiptronic buttons all the time when i drove, and would always down shift to slow me down, and on a hill that i usually downshift on purpose, if i go down the same way in automatic it still downshifts for me.
I hardly use the tiptronic buttons, they make me wanna speed up where I shouldn't... When it comes to downshifting on downhills it works flawlessly, it usually does it soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal!
Old 12-13-14, 07:05 PM