Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 11:10 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car has been doing great. Seems like the bad turbo has taken a complete dump now and doesn't even spin due to how bent it actually is inside. Can't wait to get it replaced next week so I can finally boost again.

Check engine did come on after 80 miles due to the catless headers but other than that, no MAF codes or misfires.
Old 01-12-14, 06:01 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

Did you install and o2 spacers on the headers when you installed them?
Old 01-12-14, 10:15 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BLAZE_TYLR
Did you install and o2 spacers on the headers when you installed them?
I didn't get a chance to install the o2 spacers. Wasn't able to find any locally. I just needed the car back. I'll be installing some later this week.
Old 01-12-14, 01:49 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

So this morning I turn on the car and I smell oil in the trunk. I popped the trunk and I see a bunch of oil under the rear of the car. The oil pumps failed and made a mess.

Ugh!!!! This is so frustrating!
I'm gonna have to pull the turbos down and order a new pump next week.
Old 01-12-14, 05:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry to hear about all of the complications. I'd recommend a quality electric oil pump that is gear-driven, in-line oil filters, maybe check valves, and a oil/trans cooler.

I never did see about how you had the oiling system setup on your ride; but I found this and was curious how yours compared :

Old 01-12-14, 07:41 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

There is a pump that sucks oil from the tank and splits it into two even lines that run straight to each turbo. Each turbo has an oil outlet line connected and they each Y into 1 line that is connected to another pump that sucks the oil out and pushed it back to the tank. Pretty simple setup but clearly the pumps need to be better quality as I drive the car a lot. I've put over 1600 miles since I first installed the Turbos.
Old 01-12-14, 09:38 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont really hear the turbos. Your car sounds exactly like mine.
Old 01-12-14, 10:02 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I dont really hear the turbos. Your car sounds exactly like mine.
Your car spools up and sounds like this? Lol

http://instagram.com/p/iRPlcwy4n5/
Old 01-13-14, 07:27 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Your car spools up and sounds like this? Lol

http://instagram.com/p/iRPlcwy4n5/
that sounds nice. sucks to hear about your oil issue tho
Old 01-13-14, 12:26 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
There is a pump that sucks oil from the tank and splits it into two even lines that run straight to each turbo. Each turbo has an oil outlet line connected and they each Y into 1 line that is connected to another pump that sucks the oil out and pushed it back to the tank. Pretty simple setup but clearly the pumps need to be better quality as I drive the car a lot. I've put over 1600 miles since I first installed the Turbos.
I priced out some quality pumps at $300 per unit; these were made for oil AND for remote turbo applications.

Did you ever try the oiling system without using the pump to feed the turbos (aka gravity-feed instead)? To test (without turning the car on), remove the turbo feed lines and have them both dump into empty containers. flip on your "return" pump, and see what amount of oil comes out of the turbo feed lines. There might be a slight bit of pressure from the one pump helping push the oil into the feed lines.

Is the turbo's oil container sealed (meaning, it can be slightly pressized and not lose pressure)?

Last edited by Gville350; 01-13-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 12:54 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
I priced out some quality pumps at $300 per unit; these were made for oil AND for remote turbo applications.

Did you ever try the oiling system without using the pump to feed the turbos (aka gravity-feed instead)? To test (without turning the car on), remove the turbo feed lines and have them both dump into empty containers. flip on your "return" pump, and see what amount of oil comes out of the turbo feed lines. There might be a slight bit of pressure from the one pump helping push the oil into the feed lines.

Is the turbo's oil container sealed (meaning, it can be slightly pressized and not lose pressure)?

$300 doesn't sound bad at all. May I ask what site you found them on?

In regards to the oiling system... There is actually enough suction to just run a single pump on the oil return side of the turbos. The tank has a vent that I have a hose connected to that vents to the outside of the vehicle. I had to do this because the oil get super hot!

Noob question but what difference would it make if the tank was pressurized or not?
Old 01-13-14, 05:46 PM
Gville350

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

Bottom of the page for pricing. Check out everything on the page for some other oiling system advice; see their check valves out.

Yeah, I figured as much; you NEED a trans/oil cooler! So you say it still has a little suction on the feed side even with the container currently venting? How did you test for suction?

If the tank is sealed (like a gas tank), it can hold pressure. But with yours venting, it won't.
Old 01-13-14, 07:29 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also want to make sure that the oil out/return lines are of larger diameter to account for oil expansion due to heat. at the very least do not Y them back before the return to the tank,...just my 2C from looking at my son's 3SGTE oil system.
Old 01-13-14, 07:55 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm Bottom of the page for pricing. Check out everything on the page for some other oiling system advice; see their check valves out. Yeah, I figured as much; you NEED a trans/oil cooler! So you say it still has a little suction on the feed side even with the container currently venting? How did you test for suction? If the tank is sealed (like a gas tank), it can hold pressure. But with yours venting, it won't.
With the tank venting it does not hold pressure. If I remove the hose and put the plug on the tank vent nipple then it will hold pressure.
Old 01-13-14, 07:58 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by clubfoot
You also want to make sure that the oil out/return lines are of larger diameter to account for oil expansion due to heat. at the very least do not Y them back before the return to the tank,...just my 2C from looking at my son's 3SGTE oil system.
Not sure I'm following you when you said not to Y them back before the return tank.

Quick Reply: Boosting with the twins... is250 turbo build