Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-13, 09:49 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tint your windows for that money. That'll bring you more "performance" than a hot air intake
Old 12-09-13, 04:28 AM
ken1
Driver School Candidate

Default Not for sale

I'm not selling the cold air intake, just letting folks know where they can get one if they want. I have no financial interest in the company that makes or sells the intake. I understand your policy and will refrain from posting any "where to buy" info until you've graduated me.

Ken
Old 12-09-13, 04:33 AM
ken1
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't knock it till you try it

Hey I like your F Sport color choice - mine is black/black. My windows are already tinted so.....wanted more juice and.......this intake delivers. It's almost as if the governor was taken off and the car runs at it's true potential. I'll do some timed 0-60 runs and see what I get. I'm sure the extra noise has me thinking it's faster - but it really is; both off the line and passing.
Old 12-09-13, 07:05 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read on other threads that CAIs and short rams may sound better but actually cause a loss in HP. Things may have changed but I thought the JoeZ intake was the only one to be dyno proven to increase HP. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-09-13, 07:06 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ken1
Hey I like your F Sport color choice - mine is black/black. My windows are already tinted so.....wanted more juice and.......this intake delivers. It's almost as if the governor was taken off and the car runs at it's true potential. I'll do some timed 0-60 runs and see what I get. I'm sure the extra noise has me thinking it's faster - but it really is; both off the line and passing.
i seriously doubt any intake makes any appreciable wheel hp. I've seen too many dyno graphs and hp to the dollar has to be one of the biggest waste of money for a performance mod there is.

now on a corvette, thats another story. some of the ram intakes actually do make power because they literally use the entire front end of the car as an air scoop.

another thing, no intake will increase your fuel economy, thats just a myth. first off, there is no free lunch if you made more power i guarantee you used more fuel in the process.
a lot of people think it makes the engine breathe better or get more airflow.
the fact is the ONLY time this becomes a problem to solve is under WOT and at max RPM when airflow is at its greatest.

you see an air filter is not restrictive until the quantity of air going through it is at the max engine rpm and WOT because any other throttle position allows far less air through than the max capability of the filter.
driving around normally or while on the highway the throttle is only open part way. it's a metering device really that dictates how much air is allowed to flow into the engine.

when lexus ( or any manufacturer for that matter) designed the intake box don't you think they did some extensive flow calculations and tested several models before they came up with the final design? everyone knows horsepower sells! when they release a new engine design to the public one of the most heavily looked at design parameters is how much HP does it make compared to your competition.

did you also know that the length of the intake was designed that way along with the intake plenum to work in sync to compliment the torque curve and the cam grind so the engine will make max HP at a given rpm. the intake system actually resonates at a certain frequency. meaning the air pulses you hear going into the engine actually have a supercharging effect into the cylinders making more power.
when you mess with that design, all you really get is an intake that makes noise. you may have gains some hp at some point in the rpm range but overall you lost hp over a much wider area of the rpm range.
the net result is just a noisy intake!
Old 12-09-13, 07:43 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ken1
I just had an Injen Cold Air Intake (#SP2092) installed yesterday. It gives this great car the extra juice it needs. Great sound is just plain seductive when you put your foot into it - quiet otherwise. Can definitely feel the extra 19 HP and 17 ft. lbs. of torque in all settings from NORMAL to Sport +. Cost was $238.52 with free shipping from NewLevel Motorsports http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/incoairin20l.html . Then I spent $100 for install at a Ted Wiens shop in Las Vegas - the install took about an hour. Before buying I spoke to Injen. You can choose a black or polished metal finish (same price) and Injen recommends getting the Injen Amsoil DRY version and not getting the Hydrosheild option, or the filter cleaning kit. All that's needed to maintain the filter every 5,000 miles or so is vacuuming the outside or some light air pressure applied to the inside. Too early to tell if I will also get better gas mileage - but - I'll be fine without it since it's a rush driving with it.
i have the takeda one installed so I'll be the first to tell you...someone done lied to you. sorry dude. Its most likely all in your head. All of the intakes out for this engine are short rams. unlike the stock one, which is cold air, the aftermarket ones are all exposed to the engine bays heated air. You could make the argument that the air is heated either way by the time it gets to the throttle body cause whether it be rubber or metal, those tubes get pretty hot. but anyways...

Like the previous guy said, unless you're messing with the headers, full catback exhaust and resetting the MAF, you are not going to see any gains...especially 20hp!! lol... infact, some would argue you are losing HP due to the heated air.

In any case, i made the decision to go for the mod,even with the potential 5hp loss, for aesthetic purposes and that beautiful growl you get around 3500RPM.
Old 12-10-13, 05:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by r0shiro
i have the takeda one installed so I'll be the first to tell you...someone done lied to you. sorry dude. Its most likely all in your head. All of the intakes out for this engine are short rams. unlike the stock one, which is cold air, the aftermarket ones are all exposed to the engine bays heated air. You could make the argument that the air is heated either way by the time it gets to the throttle body cause whether it be rubber or metal, those tubes get pretty hot. but anyways...

Like the previous guy said, unless you're messing with the headers, full catback exhaust and resetting the MAF, you are not going to see any gains...especially 20hp!! lol... infact, some would argue you are losing HP due to the heated air.

In any case, i made the decision to go for the mod,even with the potential 5hp loss, for aesthetic purposes and that beautiful growl you get around 3500RPM.
Richie, don't sell the short rams short just yet. Afterall I did (and still do) notice power gains with the Takeda (which of course I installed thanks to your great DIY). And this debate goes on and on, but hear this out.

Depending on external temperatures and vehicle velocity, you can experience a small gain in HP, not the 15-20 hp as claimed but 5-8 hp is realistic on a 350, less so on a 250. Living in California, temperatures are much warmer so the gains may be negligible (or even negative), but in Canada with the cooler temperatures it's more commonly feasible. While gaining speed, colder air enters the engine bay dissipating the heat eventually reducing the amount of hot air entering the intake and therefore further improving power. Power gains will not be constant and you will only "maximize" this under ideal temperatures. For my 250, I felt the slight bump in power only when all these conditions were met:

- Exterior temps below 15 C (have't tested this in freezing temperature conditions yet but soon...
- Car/tranny/engine running and warmed up for at least 15 minutes
- RPMs over 3500
- Speeds over 60 km/hr (40 mph) or right after you're in 2nd gear and beyond
- Having driven at the higher speeds above for several minutes to cool down the engine

If you're crawling at slow city speeds, you will be sucking more hot air negating any gains and that's where many will point out the negatives of the short ram - agreed. But, there are certain conditions, albeit, specific ones, that you can gain a few hp. It's all about external temperature, cooling rate (directly related to your vehicle speed) and air volume/density in order for the short ram air intake to have the opportunity to suck in great volumes of cool air and get the increases in HP.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-10-13 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 07:19 AM
drizzo77
10th Gear

Hey guys,

I'm new to the more intricate details of automotive mechanics. I''ve done some google searches but have not found anything conclusive. Some of you in this thread seem pretty knowledgeable about intakes so her goes:

Would replacing the stock intake on the IS350 compromise long-term engine reliability? Perhaps due to grime/dust accumulating in the engine due to less-restrictive (or less filtered?) air intake into the Engine?

Considering how disputable it is that we'd see any power gains from an aftermarket intake, the only reason I'd install one would be for aesthetics and the thrill of the enhanced engine growl it would produce.

Please advise! Thanks in advance...

Last edited by drizzo77; 01-14-24 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 09:10 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Richie, don't sell the short rams short just yet. Afterall I did (and still do) notice power gains with the Takeda (which of course I installed thanks to your great DIY). And this debate goes on and on, but hear this out.

Depending on external temperatures and vehicle velocity, you can experience a small gain in HP, not the 15-20 hp as claimed but 5-8 hp is realistic on a 350, less so on a 250. Living in California, temperatures are much warmer so the gains may be negligible (or even negative), but in Canada with the cooler temperatures it's more commonly feasible. While gaining speed, colder air enters the engine bay dissipating the heat eventually reducing the amount of hot air entering the intake and therefore further improving power. Power gains will not be constant and you will only "maximize" this under ideal temperatures. For my 250, I felt the slight bump in power only when all these conditions were met:

- Exterior temps below 15 C (have't tested this in freezing temperature conditions yet but soon...
- Car/tranny/engine running and warmed up for at least 15 minutes
- RPMs over 3500
- Speeds over 60 km/hr (40 mph) or right after you're in 2nd gear and beyond
- Having driven at the higher speeds above for several minutes to cool down the engine

If you're crawling at slow city speeds, you will be sucking more hot air negating any gains and that's where many will point out the negatives of the short ram - agreed. But, there are certain conditions, albeit, specific ones, that you can gain a few hp. It's all about external temperature, cooling rate (directly related to your vehicle speed) and air volume/density in order for the short ram air intake to have the opportunity to suck in great volumes of cool air and get the increases in HP.
No intake for me yet, but it is in the 30s here in MD. Cold as $hi+, but man. Today, my 350 Fsport Awd was hauling. I just broke 1400 miles. So, im thinkin breakin and cold dense air = happy car.
Debating on tekdata / Greddy. I know it's been discussed but I'm just hesitant. Stock intake does sound nice. How much louder we talkin? As well, I'll get an exhaust when that comes out ( wih more options )
Old 09-07-20, 09:06 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by DexRox512
Tint your windows for that money. That'll bring you more "performance" than a hot air intake
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^add a K&N drop in panel filter