Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How common is swapping in a non vvti ge lower end for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 11:00 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How common is swapping in a non vvti ge lower end for boost?

Ok so my gs needs a stronger lower end which sucks but I really don't care as I im gathering parts for a 500 whp build so I was searching around and it seems if I were to use 2 intake side motor mount brackets I can drop an early 2jz or 2jzgte in and it lines up like it should.

The ge non vvti will hold 500whp with no issues so that seems like the lower end of choice here and I have one in the garage already
I just have not seen anybody that has done this in my searching but unless I am missing something it seems to be ideal for a stronger lower end vs the weak vvti lower end.

Any input is welcome

Last edited by xspsi6; 08-12-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-12-13, 03:42 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Haha judging from the lack of replys I would say seems to be unchartered waters so I will do some more research and report back but in theory it will work fine
Old 08-12-13, 03:52 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not necessarily unchartered waters but there are fewer people on here who have boosted GS' IMO and usually I only hear about a top block being rebuilt and not the lower end as it can hold some power like you said. You may have better luck PMing Puff, Bippu147 or Jeff Tsai. They may be able to answer that for you.
Old 08-12-13, 09:36 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Not necessarily unchartered waters but there are fewer people on here who have boosted GS' IMO and usually I only hear about a top block being rebuilt and not the lower end as it can hold some power like you said. You may have better luck PMing Puff, Bippu147 or Jeff Tsai. They may be able to answer that for you.
Well I went to a friends shop which has lots of supra/lexus parts and there was 2 engines there both ge one vvti and one non so we are sure it will work now so this will be the route I take I think however I was just curious if it has been done in the past or not but it has been done with a gte so that means it will work with a ge as well

I will update in the future as my build unfolds
Old 08-13-13, 11:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

A few things to watch out for if you do this. There are 2 snags you will hit.

1) The motor mount holes on the exhaust side on the pre-vvti engines won't work with the GS300. You will have to make a custom bracket to offset the mount holes. I have heard that some people use the SC300 brackets and that makes it work, but I'm not 100% on that. All I know is that if you use the GS300 motor mount brackets, you will have to mod the bracket to bolt to the non-vvti block.

2) I'm assuming you're keeping the GS300 2JZGE VVTi head? If so, the oil output port on the pre-vvti blocks has the oil sender in the hole where the VVTi engines get the oil pressure feed line for the VVTi. You will have to drill and tap out the hole to a bigger size to accept the banjo fitting.

Other than those 2 things, it should all work fine. I typically just pull out the 2JZGE non-vvti internals and install them into a VVTi block to save me the hassle. Plus, I will freshen up the engine before putting everything back together so I can have as new of a bottom end as possible. I hone the cylinders to break the glaze and give it a fresh crosshatch, run the block through a cleaning vat/pats washer, knock out the old and replace with new freeze plugs, deck the block, put in new bearings/piston rings, and then make sure everything is to spec and within tolerances. The rods and piston are good to go after a good cleaning and inspection.
Old 08-17-13, 06:45 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I was going to plumb a/n lines for the oil feed which is no big deal.
So the 2 driver side motor mount brackets will not line it up properly? I read this on my.is which seems like it has been done lots of times with the non vvti 2jzgte swaps and I am only assuming since the is and 2gs are very closely related it would work for our cars or is my assumption wrong?