Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin Turbo + propane

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 03:06 PM
jaymode
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo + propane

Twin turbos plus propane would be awesome. Alot of people talk more about Nitrous, but I dont know propane sounds better, not that many people have it or talk about which makes it stand out. The 1st twin turbo gs did like 500 rwhp, I think this would bring it up to like 560 - 600 rwhp, that would be blistering fast. Check it out:

http://www.importpoweronline.com/propane.html
Old 12-09-02, 02:23 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Nitrous is used as an oxygen source (so you can inject more fuel).

Propane is used as fuel itself (in addition to gasoline, I assume). Sounds kind of risky and experimental to me.

Nitrous is the proven and tested method to kill your engine, why switch to propane???
Old 12-09-02, 02:49 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
Propane is used as fuel itself (in addition to gasoline, I assume). Sounds kind of risky and experimental to me.
I'm going out on a limb here... Propane is heavily used in turbo diesels. Do a google search, propane is heavily used as a power adder. From what I can tell, on conventional engines propane injection is used much like water injection to cool the air intake temperature. I have heard of people doing this but never personally seen it done.
Old 12-09-02, 04:43 PM
jaymode
Driver

I have seen it installed on a truck with a turbocharger. It added about 75 hp to the dyno. The truck was diesel though, this is the only one I have seen for a gasoline engine.
Old 12-09-02, 05:19 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Propane is to turbo diesel what N2o is to gas...
A little power addative....
However jaymode is right in that you can power a vech entirely by propane for a jump in power > downside is aval. of propane and cost.
Old 12-09-02, 07:48 PM
jaymode
Driver

no I am not talking about powering a car only on propane. It is like nitrous oxide but seems like propane is easier to find and maybe cheaper, I am not sure how much it costs to refill a nos tank. If you read the info at that link, it states it is good for any turbocharged/supercharged setup. It sprays propane into the injection I believe. The tank is a regular propane tank from home depot. I just thought it would be cool if people said I got propane when everyone else says "i g0tz mad NoS y0!!"
Old 12-09-02, 08:03 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is pretty cool I didnt even check out the link...
I wonder why we havent heard of it before ?
Old 12-10-02, 12:57 PM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
Nitrous is the proven and tested method to kill your engine
Nitrous is not a proven and tested method to kill your engine. Poor installation and tuning of a nitrous system is a proven and tested method to kill your engine.

I have used nitrous on four stock bottom-end (crank, rods, bolts, pistons) vehicles, two of which were dry-system 11 second daily drivers. I never had a nitrous-related problem with any nitrous equipped vehicle I ever owned (or performed an install on). Key rules to follow during install for reliable performance:

1. match fuel to air through O2 / EGT sensor tuning
2. avoid wet systems that inject nitrous/fuel upstream of intake manifold on port fuel injected vehicles
3. rpm activated on-off switch (on 3000rpm, off 200rpm before rev limiter)
4. WOT operation (throttle position activated microswitch)
5. Hobbs fuel pressure safety switch
6. Jet system to add no more than +3/8 stock HP (dyno, not advertised) on stock bottom-end (can vary depending on strength of bottom-end components and compression)
Old 12-10-02, 04:12 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Originally posted by tomtnc

Nitrous is not a proven and tested method to kill your engine. Poor installation and tuning of a nitrous system is a proven and tested method to kill your engine.

I have used nitrous on four stock bottom-end (crank, rods, bolts, pistons) vehicles, two of which were dry-system 11 second daily drivers. I never had a nitrous-related problem with any nitrous equipped vehicle I ever owned (or performed an install on). Key rules to follow during install for reliable performance:

1. match fuel to air through O2 / EGT sensor tuning
2. avoid wet systems that inject nitrous/fuel upstream of intake manifold on port fuel injected vehicles
3. rpm activated on-off switch (on 3000rpm, off 200rpm before rev limiter)
4. WOT operation (throttle position activated microswitch)
5. Hobbs fuel pressure safety switch
6. Jet system to add no more than +3/8 stock HP (dyno, not advertised) on stock bottom-end (can vary depending on strength of bottom-end components and compression)
Well put....by far the quote of the week....finaly someone agrees with me....

-KRis