Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 01:58 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so is it two clicks clockwise or three? One did three clicks, the OP did two? Which one is it to be safe?
Old 11-02-11, 04:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sung35
Where do you guy buy the tranny gasket? I could not find it from Sewell Lexus site or autoexpression.com
Lexus doesnt have one for sale because they dont use one since they use a gasket maker. some red ATV paste. works wonders but its a PITA to clean.
Old 11-03-11, 02:17 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ thanks for the info.
Old 11-05-11, 05:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostAddct
Quick question...Does anyone see any danger in doing this mod? I'm not trying to fry a tranny on my daily driver....I'll save roasted trannys for the fun car...lol.
Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
so three clicks. kool let us know within a week or so see how it goes

I'm definitely trying this "free" mod....good find guys! Surprised this was never found earlier.
Originally Posted by cdg306
Anyone else try it? Curious about any long term effects.

Just caught this thread and I just so happened to be changing out my tranny filter today. Note that I already have the valve body mod (originally offered by Rod Millen Motorsport) on my car since I bought it. When I dropped the pan to look for this dial, low and behold the adjustment had already been made ! ! !

So apparently RMM has known about this adjustment and I suspect it was part of the process when the new valve body was installed.

You can take my assumptions for what it's worth but the REAL point here is that I have been running with this modification for over TEN YEARS of which my car has been supercharged for 5+ of those years.

It goes without saying that I have driven my car hard on occasion and I can tell you the tranny has functioned without any reliability issues thoughout these 10+ years. Also note that I have a hi stall TC and I'm running AMSoil synthetic.

Based on my findings, I'd say this mod is good to go.

Old 11-05-11, 06:06 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, so you just answering the main question everyone's been curious about.
Old 11-07-11, 12:54 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Just caught this thread and I just so happened to be changing out my tranny filter today.
What's the part number of the tranny filter? I am looking to do this mod and want to change the filter too while I'm in there.

Thanks
Old 11-07-11, 01:51 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by YviE
What's the part number of the tranny filter? I am looking to do this mod and want to change the filter too while I'm in there.

Thanks
This is for a 98 GS400. Might wanna check if this is for all 2GS.

Old 11-07-11, 02:06 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Many thanks.

Looks like it should be the same on all 2GS trannies, but I'll double-check.
Old 11-07-11, 01:20 PM
gsjerk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just caught this thread and I just so happened to be changing out my tranny filter today. Note that I already have the valve body mod (originally offered by Rod Millen Motorsport) on my car since I bought it. When I dropped the pan to look for this dial, low and behold the adjustment had already been made ! ! !

So apparently RMM has known about this adjustment and I suspect it was part of the process when the new valve body was installed.

You can take my assumptions for what it's worth but the REAL point here is that I have been running with this modification for over TEN YEARS of which my car has been supercharged for 5+ of those years.

It goes without saying that I have driven my car hard on occasion and I can tell you the tranny has functioned without any reliability issues thoughout these 10+ years. Also note that I have a hi stall TC and I'm running AMSoil synthetic.

Based on my findings, I'd say this mod is good to go.

Dont you think they would have told you about the "mod"? Why wouldn't they want you to know they did something beneficial?

EIther way I'd say thats a good thing
Old 11-07-11, 01:29 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsjerk
Dont you think they would have told you about the "mod"? Why wouldn't they want you to know they did something beneficial?

They probably wanted it to be their secret to go with the valvebody mod....no reason to give away their trade secrets.
Old 11-07-11, 03:47 PM
gsjerk
Rookie

They probably wanted it to be their secret to go with the valvebody mod....no reason to give away their trade secrets.
Meh, agreed... but even that is silly. Its leading you to believe that the extra performance is placed solely on their products.
Old 11-07-11, 04:06 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by gsjerk

Since you and many others are new to the forums, the OGs know the history of my car is that I bought it from Rhys Millen with all their mods already installed as this was their original RMM car, hence my screen name.

The valvebody mod itself is "legit". This pressure adjustment is not going to make or break the performance, it's just a tweek. On the other hand, this mod may be only something they did as an additional tweek for "themselves". Since they no longer offer the valve body mod on their site, there's no telling whether the instructions would of included this adjustment, but all this speculation is neither here nor there.

http://rhys-millen-racing.myshopify....s-transmission

The only real point of the information I provided is establishing that this little mod has been tried and proven reliable for 10+ years on my car.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-07-11 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 12:36 AM
whitegs430
Driver

Since you and many others are new to the forums, the OGs know the history of my car is that I bought it from Rhys Millen with all their mods already installed as this was their original RMM car, hence my screen name.

The valvebody mod itself is "legit". This pressure adjustment is not going to make or break the performance, it's just a tweek. On the other hand, this mod may be only something they did as an additional tweek for "themselves". Since they no longer offer the valve body mod on their site, there's no telling whether the instructions would of included this adjustment, but all this speculation is neither here nor there.

http://rhys-millen-racing.myshopify....s-transmission

The only real point of the information I provided is establishing that this little mod has been tried and proven reliable for 10+ years on my car.

Well said. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-11, 05:51 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I think i will perform this mod at the same time ill be doing a drain and fill. Anyone know on average how much fluid you need for a drain and fill? I think ill also change the filter at the same time too
Old 11-08-11, 10:11 AM
cdg306
Rookie

2 qts for drain and refill.

Quick Reply: GS430 Better Tranny shifts just by adjusting dial?