Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Swap 1UZ for 2JZ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 09:58 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Swap 1UZ for 2JZ???

Hello all,
Just curious my fellow clubmates so don't get mad and start beatin up my thread..lol was wondering how hard it would be to swap a 1UZ for a 2JZ??? would you do it?? I know most of the particulars need to be swapped like engine harness, ECU, motor mounts, but would the tranny need to be switched? Radiator?..etc.. all informative replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Old 05-28-11, 08:19 PM
aprince1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to go from an 8 to a 6? Why?
Old 05-28-11, 08:47 PM
Tank
Racer

More aftermarket options for the 2JZ..
Old 05-28-11, 10:39 PM
mrjaydm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it can be done, easiest years are 98-00. In 01 they redesigned some electrical stuff on the GS to make it different from the aristo.
Old 05-29-11, 02:17 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming that he's referring to a 2JZGTE. If so, then my answer to your question would be BOOST as well as the aftermarket support.

Originally Posted by aprince1
You want to go from an 8 to a 6? Why?
Old 05-29-11, 03:26 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Hello all,
Just curious my fellow clubmates so don't get mad and start beatin up my thread..lol was wondering how hard it would be to swap a 1UZ for a 2JZ??? would you do it?? I know most of the particulars need to be swapped like engine harness, ECU, motor mounts, but would the tranny need to be switched? Radiator?..etc.. all informative replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
I'd say it's a hard decision, it all depends on what you're after. Considering that the GS400/430 was never available in Australia I was considering swapping the 2JZ to a 3UZ as it seems like it would be a simpler (and most likely cheaper) swap since it shares the same transmission, I would just need to get my hands on wiring, ECU and maybe dash. Having over 300hp out of the box is tempting (3UZ) but the rush of boost makes me miss driving turbo cars, and being family man now I don't get to drive my turbo Soarer so much anymore, so having a turbo'd GS would be perfect for me.

I did have a drive of a swapped GS300 last week and MY GOD what a blast. The thing with this GS though is that EVERYTHING was swapped, right down to the ARS system. I had a long chat with the owner and we're going through all the details of the swap and he reckons if you get everything from the car that the swap is a breeze.

If you are planning a swap I'd say get everything you can... all wiring, gearbox, rear end etc. Lucky for me I have a complete late 01 V300 (minus shell) waiting for me, but I still have to pay for it (sitting in a mate's workshop) which is perfect since I can swap out everything at once without stuffing around.
Old 06-03-11, 04:24 AM
Tank
Racer

Default .......

Originally Posted by Agent0024
Assuming that he's referring to a 2JZGTE. If so, then my answer to your question would be BOOST as well as the aftermarket support.
PERFECT..
Old 06-03-11, 04:40 AM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I'd say it's a hard decision, it all depends on what you're after. Considering that the GS400/430 was never available in Australia I was considering swapping the 2JZ to a 3UZ as it seems like it would be a simpler (and most likely cheaper) swap since it shares the same transmission, I would just need to get my hands on wiring, ECU and maybe dash. Having over 300hp out of the box is tempting (3UZ) but the rush of boost makes me miss driving turbo cars, and being family man now I don't get to drive my turbo Soarer so much anymore, so having a turbo'd GS would be perfect for me.

I did have a drive of a swapped GS300 last week and MY GOD what a blast. The thing with this GS though is that EVERYTHING was swapped, right down to the ARS system. I had a long chat with the owner and we're going through all the details of the swap and he reckons if you get everything from the car that the swap is a breeze.

If you are planning a swap I'd say get everything you can... all wiring, gearbox, rear end etc. Lucky for me I have a complete late 01 V300 (minus shell) waiting for me, but I still have to pay for it (sitting in a mate's workshop) which is perfect since I can swap out everything at once without stuffing around.
Thanks for the feedback.. I know what you mean about driving a car with boost, it's definately a lot more fun to drive. Nothing like hearing that turbo wind up when you step on the gas.. wish they had more support for the 1uz like they do for the 2jz, as far as forced induction is concerned. I could go the supercharger route but as far as I know only one company makes the charger for the V8 and I think it's discontinued, (not to mention it had a hefty price tag..) and then to try and slap turbos on my current engine looks like a nightmare..lol a little beyond my current skill level, there's one guy on here (the forums) that has slapped TWO turbos on his 1uz but he's had to change nearly every component on the engine to accomidate the boost, I don't have the time, money, or skill level for that type of trial and error, so that's why I'm looking for an alternative way to get some BOOST..
Old 06-03-11, 04:46 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It has been done on here i have one member local to me 98 GS400 with 2jzgte VVTi.
search "Kipod" and you will find it good luck.
Old 06-03-11, 09:34 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It depends on your power goal. If you want over 400hp then the 2JZ makes sense. For up to 400hp (apx 325rwhp) a low boost system (turbo or super) will make a lot of sense as it can work with a stock engine and stock trans.

Now, above 400rwhp the stock transmission becomes the weak link. You asked about transmission swaps and if your goal is above 400rwhp you will need to get a completely different transmission as the 650E 5-speed auto (stock) just cannot be upgraded to handle the torque reliably. So, even 2JZ swaps require transmission upgrades to handle big power. Really big power requires a GM or equivilant THM400 3 speed or the GM 4L80-E which is basically the 400 with overdrive, OR, any number of strong manual transmissions. Obviously BIG power comes with BIG money.

Too many people THINK that they can build giant power and keep stock drivability and stock reliability. The more radical your build and the more stock parts are changed out the LESS reliable and the LESS drivable the vehicle becomes.

With mods you can build the stock V8 up to about 400rwhp and upgrade the stock trans to be somewhat reliable at that power level. This is a good max target and will give you a seriously fast car. I would go turbo or the current Eaton TVS supercharger and start with the stock engine and trans, run LOW boost, find a GOOD tuner and enjoy the power increases incrementally. Jumping from say 240rwhp NA to say 325rwhp boosted is really satisfying and only takes about 5psi of boost. This in itself is a BIG part of the fun.
Old 06-03-11, 10:06 PM
Tank
Racer

Wow, Thanks a lot for the info man! I just finished reading one of TTurboPimp's threads reguarding a TT kit that he was selling.. and you guys were on the same page, really informative. Didn't really want to go the 2jz route but before I got of my lazy *** and did a search I was concidering doing the swap because I thought boosting the 1uz would be too difficult of a project (building an engine and a tranny..). Now I'm a little more pressed to doing the TT kit, it's just too bad that he sold his allready to another member on here. (and that guy sold it to another guy..Enjoy!). According to TTPimp the kit he was selling was for the most part plug and play as long as the psi was kept at or around 8, other perriferals like engine management etc were needed to finish the build.
Again, thank you for the infromative feedback it helped point me in the right direction.
Old 06-04-11, 02:40 PM
Tank
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Thanks for the feedback.. I know what you mean about driving a car with boost, it's definately a lot more fun to drive. Nothing like hearing that turbo wind up when you step on the gas.. wish they had more support for the 1uz like they do for the 2jz, as far as forced induction is concerned. I could go the supercharger route but as far as I know only one company makes the charger for the V8 and I think it's discontinued, (not to mention it had a hefty price tag..) and then to try and slap turbos on my current engine looks like a nightmare..lol a little beyond my current skill level, there's one guy on here (the forums) that has slapped TWO turbos on his 1uz but he's had to change nearly every component on the engine to accomidate the boost, I don't have the time, money, or skill level for that type of trial and error, so that's why I'm looking for an alternative way to get some BOOST..
I'll correct myself on this one, according to TTurboPimp he had a TT set-up with out building an engine or a tranny.. it all depended on the boost psi.