Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OCV/VVTI actuator problem after full timing belt service!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 08:44 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OCV/VVTI actuator problem after full timing belt service!

I want to thank you for your time in advance. So here it is I just did the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, crank seal, cam seals, water pump, and valve cover seals on my 99-gs400. I cleaned every thing put it back together and it ran perfect BUT. the left f-ing OCV-vvti actuator is clacking on the left side. SO knowing the filter was under the front cam cap. I took 80% of the **** back apart to pull the cap off and clean the oil passages and filter etc. I also took out the OCV itself and took the piston out and cleaned it and tested the selinoid with 12v to see it activate. I put everything back together again she fires right up but still CLACKING like a diesel on that side. It is definetly the ocv valve as I scoped the noise etc. The engine runs smooth and I broke in the timing belt with 20 easy miles then I let her rip and it has a crap load of power but still clacking like there is no oil. I did do an oil test while it was apart I disabled the ignition and turned motor over. The oilpassages filled up with in 5 sec and where pumping oil out in a good manner. The ocv valve never made this noise prior so why now after I did all this work. Do I need a new one? Thanks again
Old 02-12-11, 01:26 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by entryspeed
I want to thank you for your time in advance. So here it is I just did the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, crank seal, cam seals, water pump, and valve cover seals on my 99-gs400. I cleaned every thing put it back together and it ran perfect BUT. the left f-ing OCV-vvti actuator is clacking on the left side. SO knowing the filter was under the front cam cap. I took 80% of the **** back apart to pull the cap off and clean the oil passages and filter etc. I also took out the OCV itself and took the piston out and cleaned it and tested the selinoid with 12v to see it activate. I put everything back together again she fires right up but still CLACKING like a diesel on that side. It is definetly the ocv valve as I scoped the noise etc. The engine runs smooth and I broke in the timing belt with 20 easy miles then I let her rip and it has a crap load of power but still clacking like there is no oil. I did do an oil test while it was apart I disabled the ignition and turned motor over. The oilpassages filled up with in 5 sec and where pumping oil out in a good manner. The ocv valve never made this noise prior so why now after I did all this work. Do I need a new one? Thanks again

just because it has voltage doesn't mean it's always good. I guess that's your best shot... getting a new one and see. Or if you know someone who has a GS, borrow theirs.
Old 02-15-11, 04:39 PM
entryspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its not the ocv/vvti ACTUATOR I put a new one on and still the noise is there. So im thinking its gotta be the vvti gear/pulley itself. Gonna spend another $150 I hope thats it.
Old 04-12-11, 05:40 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I just did e full service and now have the same clanking diesel sound.

Before I take apart again I was hoping you figured out what makes the engine sound like a diesel car

Thanks

-n-
Old 04-17-11, 10:07 AM
vaki2
Pole Position

If you haven't solved this check this link out:

http://v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1921
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sel-sound.html

I have the same problem.

Hope this helps

vaki2
Old 07-30-11, 04:35 PM
shodlex
Driver School Candidate

thanks alot man... i recently had the engine in my gs400 rebuilt and i have the same problem. it sounds like a freaking eighteen wheeler..my mechanic told me that it was the new valves and that they are self adjusting and the sound will go away soon once the engine is broke in....i have put almost 5k on the engine and still the same sound. it runs like a beast but when the car is idling its very loud and embarrassing. the only thing i should be hearing is the exhaust..lol but im most definitely gonna get that checked out bro....thanks for helping me out..

Last edited by shodlex; 07-30-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 04:58 PM
vaki2
Pole Position

NP,

I'm about to crack mine open to fix it. I did not realize that the exhaust gear was a scissor gear. I found more info about it as I researched the problem.

"I found the answer. The sub-gear aka scissors gear is the part of the helical drive gear which is spring loaded to hold it against the driven gear (on the intake camshaft). The sub-gear minimizes noise due to gear lash.

You can not damage the helical camshaft gears by rotating them backwards. Helical gears are designed to operate in either direction."

Good luck man, I also hate that diesel sound on the lexus

-n-