Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My GS300 engine misfire when warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 09:54 AM
StealthGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by razgs300
I was told that the oil timing control valve was faulty and causes the engine sputtering after the engine had warmed up and been driven a few miles. Is that true?
Possibly... My mechanic had looked into that too, But it ended up being a bad wire.

I personally would start with the basics first, And $30-$60 isnt expensive at all. And if that fixes your problem your good! If not all you did was a little "Preventive Maintenance"!!

By the way guys heres a quick link on the Sea-Foam how to. Its a pretty simple process if you follow the directions and have a little bit of patience!

I did my 98' GS300 in about 15 minutes or so, And she was smoking like a chimney!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAV5ln5cUc
Old 11-27-10, 12:11 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StealthGS
I would agree on the injector/fuel cleaner. I personally Sea-Foam all of my vehicles when I first get them!

Follow the basics = Oil change. New PCV Valve. Clean MAF. Spark plug change ONLY USE = (Denso Iridium/Platinum, Or NGK Iridium/Platinum).

The mis-fire with no CEL can usually point to a fuel problem, And again not always. I had a lean code for a while, And we replaced the MAF and it fixed that problem. But the mis-fire kept spitting out P0300 And P0303. It ended up being a bad Spark Plug Wire!!

My 98' Has 130k. So I would grab a set of wires and you should be on your way!!
I couldn't agree more. The PCV is such a neglected part which serves a great deal of importance and its only a few dollars. At 120k miles i would go ahead and switch out the wires as well.
Old 11-27-10, 07:15 PM
razgs300
Rookie

I forgot to mention that oil were leaking out from the oil timing control valve too.
Old 11-27-10, 09:16 PM
Dueces
Driver

@StealthGS
thanx for the clip

@razgs300
hope all this info is being put to great use
Old 04-11-16, 12:09 PM
Chrisbk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StealthGS
I would agree on the injector/fuel cleaner. I personally Sea-Foam all of my vehicles when I first get them!

Follow the basics = Oil change. New PCV Valve. Clean MAF. Spark plug change ONLY USE = (Denso Iridium/Platinum, Or NGK Iridium/Platinum).

The mis-fire with no CEL can usually point to a fuel problem, And again not always. I had a lean code for a while, And we replaced the MAF and it fixed that problem. But the mis-fire kept spitting out P0300 And P0303. It ended up being a bad Spark Plug Wire!!

My 98' Has 130k. So I would grab a set of wires and you should be on your way!!

How would you solidify if it is a fuel problem? Should you disconnect a wire and see if it shoots out fuel? My maf is clean, my car slightly misfires and the rpm drops to 0 and car stays on. .. all spark plugs are new and a new 02 sensor, I use sea foam every so often. My car was turning over then dropping right away now it stays on for a while. Sorry to single you out, can you think of anything to be the problem