IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

White smoke from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 05:55 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White smoke from exhaust

This thread was unfortunately moved under Performance (long ago, I didn't notice it when I posted my question today), when I think really it is a general troubleshooting question.

If you've ever had white smoke from your 2IS exhaust, can you take a look at my question in that thread (last post)?

I mostly wondered if what I am seeing is normal condensation (I suspect it is) or something more. When I saw a thread that was many years old, I was eager to know how everyone made out.
Old 09-27-10, 06:13 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it happens after sit for long time all the time it can be your valve stem seals .if it happen more you my want to get it checked at the dealer engine warr. To70k
Old 09-27-10, 06:19 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Well in my case today it disappeared after the car was warm.
Old 09-27-10, 08:37 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

A small amount of white smoke from the exhaust that looks more like steam than smoke is perfectly normal when first starting, especially now that it is getting cooler out...

White smoke, and by smoke I mean smoke that does not just disappear quickly, that is a sign of coolant entering the combustion chamber...most common cases are blown head gaskets and cracked engine blocks, you would know if you had major problems like this

Blueish smoke coming from the exhaust is from oil burning in the combustion chamber...only on first start up would be valve stem seals or spark plug tube seals, consistent blue smoke could be bad pistons rings or really bad valve stem seals

Black smoke is usually from running rich...too many causes to quickly list

Don't mean to freak you out, just simply putting some info out there on what the different color exhaust smoke means, and again your condition is most likely just condensation, nothing to worry about
Old 09-27-10, 08:58 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

That was my initial thought too -- it looks more like the "cold morning steam" coming out, and although it was rainy and cooler this morning, it was by no means cold. So I looked at it after I got to work and there was none whatsoever, so I'm leaning toward condensation (I have less than 4 miles on it).

What I was really hoping to get out of the thread is some feedback from someone, perhaps maybe in the thread linked in the first post, who also saw this from their exhaust early in the ownership and 4 or 5 years later have had no issues related to it. I guess it's also possible those folks who saw it and never had problems have forgotten about it and thus wouldn't click on the thread.
Old 09-28-10, 08:26 AM
IS-J
Lead Lap

The only time I see smoke is when I step on it WOT at high rpms... I've seen it on quite a bit of IS's. Wondering if that's normal??
Old 09-28-10, 09:18 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I believe if the smoke dessipates quickly it should be normal. I've seen this on stock exhaust too. This happens on cold starts and should disappear when the car is warm. Are you in a cold area? My previous car (04 Honda Civic -stock) does this everytime during the winter.

If you see a thick smoke that lingers around, then you should be more concerned.
Old 09-28-10, 09:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

It's condensation the same as the other cars listed in the previous thread. Nothing to be concerned about.
Old 12-02-16, 10:51 PM
Weidnera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up question

Okay so I have the exhaust smoke happening now that it is starting to get warm out. It happens when my car first starts up and then when I idle. So there's mention of possible issues with a head gasket issue or coolant leak. Is there a way I can check this without having to bring the car into an autobody shop and pay for them to check it? I don't mind spending the money but I'd rather not if I didn't have to. I also imagine nothing's wrong but I like to be safe versus sorry. Thanks!
Old 12-03-16, 12:33 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Check your coolant level. If you are getting white smoke from a head gasket it will be from the coolant and you will see that as losing coolant. It might just be from water condensing and collecting in your exhaust which isn't a big deal. Does it still smoke after your car gets up to temp?
Old 12-04-16, 03:41 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Weidnera
Okay so I have the exhaust smoke happening now that it is starting to get warm out. It happens when my car first starts up and then when I idle. So there's mention of possible issues with a head gasket issue or coolant leak. Is there a way I can check this without having to bring the car into an autobody shop and pay for them to check it? I don't mind spending the money but I'd rather not if I didn't have to. I also imagine nothing's wrong but I like to be safe versus sorry. Thanks!
Starting to get warm? Don't you mean cold? LOL!

Anyhow, during an initial startup when completely cold, run around to the rear while it is running and smell for a sweet, coolant-like smell coming from the exhaust. And like what was mentioned, look for the coolant overflow to start going down more quickly. The head gaskets are NOT common to blow on these motors.