Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TM Dyno Results - AWESOME!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 02:50 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up TM Dyno Results - AWESOME!!

OK, Gang!! Here's what most of ya have been waiting on. Just got back from BR & have been rehearsing what I was gonna say in the write up but it can be summed up in one word - AMAZING!!:eek: The weather was a similar mid 80 degrees & humidity was low 80% just like the preliminary runs I made 2 days ago so the climate isn't a factor. Ran my friend's GS a steady 72 mph on the Interstate to establish a baseline mpg which turned out to be 24.2 mpg. Loyd ( the car owner ) verified that it's been getting in the low 24 to high 23 mpg range ( at highway speeds ) since he's owned it so nothing unusual there. Pulled into the shop & opened the hood to cool the motor while we strapped her down ( we also kept a "bug blower" fan circulating air across the open hood just like the pics of Dave's SRT ECU install ). This is standard procedure at every dyno I've been to. FWIW - I had "dumped" the ECU's memory before I left out on the 125 mile trip. Ran 2 baseline runs with the best figures obtained on the second run. In case the sheets don't show up at the end of this post I'll state them here. Max power was 244.6 RWHP @ 5900 rpms & RWTQ was 252.8 @ 4100 rpms. Using the 80% efficiency factor for an automatic tranny this translates into roughly 305.8 HP & 316 foot-lbs TQ at the flywheel. Pretty close to the factor numbers of 300 HP & 310 TQ, I'd say. If U'll remember yesterday's post, I said his was quicker stock than mine? My stock numbers ( obtained on this same dyno 2 years ago ) showed 240.3 RWHP ( 300.4 flywheel ) & 247 RWTQ ( 308.8 flywheel ) so there's part of the reason. We let the GS cool about 10 minutes between stock baseline runs. Then I pulled the ECU "B" fuse while I changed to the TM's ( took me about 30 minutes with "Dyno" Tom's help ). We fired up the GS & it seemed to idle smoother. To try & be as fair as possible in the limited amount of dyno time I had left, I just ran the GS thru the gears a few times while strapped to the dyno to help the ECU formulate a decent memory. The car even seemed more responsive but nothing prepared me for the first numbers which came off the dyno!!:eek: The best numbers came from the first TM run; however, the subsequent run was within .5 HP of the first so I was happy. Here's the unbelievable TM numbers:
249.8 RWHP @ 6100 rpms & 264.4 RWTQ @ 4100 rpms!!
:eek: Using 80% again, this shows 312.3 flywheel HP & 330.5 flywheel TQ!! NOW I know why their called "Torque" Masters!! The TM website said that a 5.0 Mustang gained 16 HP just from their plugs but I figured there was some hype in there as well. The Lexus 4.0 gained 6.5 HP & an amazing 14.5 foot-lbs TQ!!
Gonna have to continue this on a second post.
Old 06-25-02, 03:02 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Default Post #2

Well, needless to say I was shocked but pleasantly so. Tom said he'd heard of TM plugs but had never used them in any of his customer's cars but would now be looking into carrying them for his shop. I cruised around BR for an hour or so just playing & could light up the rear tires easier than before!! When it came time to head home I filled the car up again & reset the trip odometer. Hard to resist the urge to unleash the beast on I-49 but wanted to check the mpg. Behold, it went up marginally to 24.4 at the same cruising speed of 72 mph!! More power AND mpg - what a combination!! Slipped back out to my private dragstrip with the G-Tech & registered a 2 way average ( 4 total runs just as before ) of 5.51 0-60 ( using the same driving & launching style ). It was hard to get Loyd to let me remove the TM's from the GS after I handed him the dyno sheets & gave him my report. Next trip to BR ( hopefully ) will include MY GS4 with TM's & the new "Race" ECU from SRT. Anxious to see what the TM's do in a modded car!! Now let's see if I can retrieve the sheets from that damn "black hole" my scanner sometimes sends them to!! :eek:

Last edited by Mean Gene; 06-25-02 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-25-02, 03:07 PM
RacingAristo

Mean Gene,

That is simply amazing. I will order mine soon if I can get a hold of Steve.
Old 06-25-02, 03:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Excellent!!!!

Thanks again Gene. Now I'm itching like mad to order mine. Can't wait to see your results as you've got similar mods after you add in the race ECU.

Here's a link to the group buy on these plugs if other folks reading this are interested.

Also Gene, please thank your buddy with the stock GS for use of his 'test mule'!
Old 06-25-02, 03:30 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb I Give Up!

OK Group! Seems that I can't upload these files because they're not of a "valid format" Someone with a fax machine PM me & I'll fax them to ya in the morning & U can post them for me. Thanks!!

MG
Old 06-25-02, 03:38 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Percy turned me on to these plugs over a year ago and I was jacked as soon as I installed them. The damn things just work and I can't wait to swap my SRT ecu for the Race ECU. It's on the way. The car flat out runs better with the Torquemasters.
It's nice to see the Dyno back up what I thought. Killer.
Old 06-25-02, 06:14 PM
oldguy
Driver

Thank you Mean Gene. You've done me (us) a favor. Hope to be able to return it some day. Or, what goes around, comes around. Or, pass it on.
Thanks
Old 06-25-02, 06:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Default Re: I Give Up!

Originally posted by Mean Gene
OK Group! Seems that I can't upload these files because they're not of a "valid format" Someone with a fax machine PM me & I'll fax them to ya in the morning & U can post them for me. Thanks!!

MG
Just e-mail me the files and I'll convert and put online. bitkahuna@yahoo.com.
Old 06-25-02, 06:54 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Those are unbelievable numbers...I guess I got to give Steve a call tomorrow...
Old 06-25-02, 08:01 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now if Mo listened to me and actually TRIED these things....

Seriously though. If there was an ECU that was tuned out for the SRT intake WITH the TM's...could you imagine the amount of M3 scaring power? You'd have to crank up the mixture a bit more but geez... That's E46 M3. I've already done it twice and scared the crap out of them. He'll get the slight jump and then WILL NOT pull any more on the car.

For those of you that haven't bought the plugs yet, the numbers speak for themselves. It's probably the only "demon tweak" that you'll get, other than lightweight wheels and tires. Stock car cruising at 80mph and then hitting it...well, it's like a slug. TM, SRT, lightweight wheels...the thing just pulls like crazy. LOW 5 second 0 to 60 times and 1/4 times of mid to low 13's are easily within reach...if you have the right combo. NO SUPERCHARGER or NOS involved. Just literally "bolt on" parts with very little risk.

I've always estimated my GS4 had about 340 horses (SRT/TM). Looks like I was really close!

Now just wishing for a race/TM optimized ECU. (evil grin)

Percy
Old 06-25-02, 11:24 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gene, thanks for the info! Sounds good! I think I'll have to try a set in my cars...damn, 16 spark plugs...
Old 06-26-02, 03:39 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Someone please let me know if Im better off getting the standard TM's, or if the new "NEW" Star plugs are worth the $$$??????

Im ready to order but need to know which one to specify....
Gene? Were these Dyno #'s using standard or star?? TIA, Tiny
Old 06-26-02, 06:02 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by tinygs
Someone please let me know if Im better off getting the standard TM's, or if the new "NEW" Star plugs are worth the $$$??????

Im ready to order but need to know which one to specify....
Gene? Were these Dyno #'s using standard or star?? TIA, Tiny
Use ONLY star series. The "standard" series might give you rough idle problems. I still don't know why the standard series prices were posted.

Percy
Old 06-26-02, 07:02 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Additional Info

Tiny - Yes, they R the "Star" series plugs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=46223&perpage
My comments R on page 7 near the bottom.

Bit - On the way & TIA!!

To everyone who expressed their gratitude for these efforts of myself & my college roommate "Stump" ( Loyd ), we're feelin' the LOVE now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mean Gene; 09-27-03 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-26-02, 07:11 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Gene, you are de man. You really stepped up on this one. Thanks a ton.

Quick Reply: TM Dyno Results - AWESOME!!