Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Using a VVTi ECU on a nonVVTi motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 02:46 AM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a VVTi ECU on a nonVVTi motor

Hey guys, Im actually an SC300 owner, but my question might be more familiar with you guys here.

You think it'd be alright too use a VVTi ECU on a nonVVTi GTE? Of course Id be using a piggyback (MAP2), but my main concern is the timing maps in the VVTi ECU.

Do you guys think the timing or fuel maps are so different, I wouldnt be able too use the ECU on my nonVVTi Aristo?

TIA
Old 05-24-10, 08:45 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the VVTi ECU JDM or USDM?
Is your VVTi ECU originally from a turbo or a non-turbo?
Is the VVTi ECU for an Automatic or manual transmission?
Will you be using the Aristo's Turbo Automatic transmission, or a non turbo manual transmission?

I wouldn't say it's impossible but a VVTi ECU will throw a CEL if the VVTi is not connected. A non turbo ECU for an automatic transmission will have trouble shifting when used on a turbo motor.

Doesn't the MAP2 allow you to change the timing and fuel? I don't know.... but if you can make timing and fuel changes then, in theory, it shouldn't matter if the two ECU's are so different.... except you'll still have the VVTi CEL and Auto trans shifting problems.

Choritsu-shi