Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Diff options for GS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 01:13 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming this is the differential everyone is picking up when they switch to 3.76 is:

92-96 MKIV Supra
w/turbo, MT (3.133 ratio) Limited Slip

97-98 MKIV Supra
w/turbo, AT (3.769 ratio) Limited Slip

So is it safe to assume this will fit in our car as well:

92-96 MKIV Supra

97-98 MKIV Supra

I know changing from 3.26 to 3.113 isn't the direction most people want to take. But my though is this might be a cheaper differential to purchase. I'd almost be willing to bet most people wouldn't notice the difference in performance and you'd be gaining the LSD to boot.
Old 03-31-10, 01:55 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone gets the auto diff because it fits in the gs400 housing. from my limited research on the supra diff, the MT diff is larger and wont fit in the gs400 housing.

found a lead on a guy that has a couple parts SC300/400's in my area (what are the odds lol) sounds like he has an auto diff and a manual diff....going to do some searching and see if there is a difference between the 2.
Old 03-31-10, 04:40 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
everyone gets the auto diff because it fits in the gs400 housing. from my limited research on the supra diff, the MT diff is larger and wont fit in the gs400 housing.

found a lead on a guy that has a couple parts SC300/400's in my area (what are the odds lol) sounds like he has an auto diff and a manual diff....going to do some searching and see if there is a difference between the 2.
That would be great to see the differences.
Old 03-31-10, 06:43 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

12 -bolt 6-speed diff carriers wouldn't fit in the GS differential housing.
Different diameters to the 10-bolters on the GS.
Old 03-31-10, 06:54 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have searched BRO (man i hate that word) like i said before, info is scattered all over the damn place. there is hardly ANYTHING that is black or white on this subject. some threads, people will say, such and such diff fits with no modifications....then 3 posts later someone says it doesnt "bolt on" and then a couple posts later someone goes on about the differences from year to year. i would really be p.o'd if i spent a few hundred bucks on a pumpkin only to find out it didnt fit and i got some bunk info. i do search, i search A LOT...and the answer is very muddy so i figured i would make a thread. these parts are not very easy to find for me locally (there is not a single lexus sc300/400 gs300/400 in any of the 9 junkyards that are within 50 miles of me.) so i want to be clear on what i need....

anyways, YES the gs300/sc300 pumpkin is what i have my eye on....and NO im not scared to do the 4.27 and daily drive it (based on slowdrivers personal experience, and facts about his car, its hardly any more strain at freeway speeds...besides, im rolling on some big *** 20's) i come from the honda world and turning 5k on the freeway and daily driving on a 4.9fd is something i did for years. i have my reasons for doing this, and doing top speed, 130mph runs is not one of them lolol...besides, the cool thing about gears is......if you find you dont like it....replace it!

i appreciate the usefull info
Alright, sorry to bust your ***** but you have all the information in front of you, as you posted it down farther in the thread. I wish I could tell you what I said was correct, because I bought a GS3 rear end from Viking Auto Salvage in Minnesota for like $97. At the time, I was planning on going LSD with the 3.92, but instead I just pulled it and ripped it apart and never bought the LSD. The 'A-series' diffs are GS/SC/Supra diffs which will all bolt up, with the exception of the 'B-series' differentials, which is the 6-speed Twin turbo. You can tell because it has 12 bolts for the ring gear, whereas all others have 10 bolts. Sorry I was quick to speak, as I missed that you were in Idaho. Goto www.car-part.com, I searched for a 98 SC, and it brought up quite a few, none under $100, but the closest I found to you I think is in Topperish, WA, but it says call. I do have a full GS300 (3.92) rear that has been sitting in my garage for about a year now. I have too many projects and things to work on to be able to shell out the $500+ it seems like it will take to put in an LSD insert, even from the Supra owners.

Originally Posted by lexusdog
Are you running the stock 16's or a larger wheel with that 3.92 rear? I am wondering how traction would be on a 16 inch stock wheel with that rear gearing. Did you notice an improved 0-60 time?
I ran with the stock 17's, with the 3.92 for a little while, the acceleration is noticeable, but being that I hate spinning one wheel, which I did with the 3.26 rear, so you believe I did it with the 3.92. I yanked it in favor of the stock GS4 rear, in hopes to find a used LSD insert for the cheap. There are a few members that have done this, but with the added power the of the V8, it likes to roast one tire. I am more of a cruiser anyways, so the only way I would give up the lower gears is in favor of an LSD gear set.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Sounds good DumpedGS!

I say go for it, but are you going to go with a clutch-type LSD? If so, is your car modded more than 133% over stock output (or 400hp-crank)? When I read the disadvantages of the clutch-type LSD I feel that since it REDUCES gas mileage then it is adding to further powertrain loss (i.e. more friction); probably why it is stated that it should be used on a HEAVILY MODDED car. IMHO, I would NOT go with this type of LSD if you aren't going extreme as far as power mods go...it could be overkill for your application and you are PAYING for lower gas mileage (more power drag) for indestructability; which at power levels under 400hp this "protection" is not necessary. The Torsen unit is JUST FINE for a nice moderately modded car - after all it is OEM to the Supra TT.

BTW, FYI...there is probably minimal difference in performance between the 3.76/3.92 gears (with lightweight 18" or 19" wheels VERSUS the 4.27 gears with heavy 20" wheels...rotational weight is a Bi Tch! Just some food for thought...

GL!
As he said, it has been discussed that it is best to have some real power, not just a stocker. The cheapest way to get LSD is buck up and buy a used diff from a MKIV Supra. He brings up a good point, with the size of your tires, it might dictate what exactly you want to do. For instance, if you use the stock 3.26 with heavy 20"s, it will give a completely different feel or response than lets says stock 17"s, with the 4.27 gearing. I am not one to tell anyone what to do, by all means if your hell bent on what your going after, do it. With that being said, I would stay away from welding the diff is you will literally be chirping your wheels on almost all of your turns. Again, do it, and then develop what works best for you. If you not drag racing or drifting, I wouldn't weld it up.

Let us know what you end up doing. I still have the GS3 rear end, and could end up getting rid of it if the price is right. It has about 160k on the clock, but that's nothing. I'd put it back together for you so you can just bolt it in.
Let me know if your interested and I'll check needs to be done to put it in your hands.
Old 03-31-10, 07:40 PM
3UZFTE

Here is all the information you need (http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm) to find out what will fit in your car in terms of the MKIV Supra. Your rear end is identical to a MKIV Supra 4-speed auto which came with the optional LSD, but very rare. It is referred to as the axle code and our housing is a 'A-type' housing, the Manual 6SPD LSD is a 'B-type', which signifies the 10 bolt ring gear vs. the 12 bolt ring gear. Towards the bottom of the page you will see a breakdown of the differentials. Not all ratios and options went from 93 to 98, so when I say that I am just saying that it is somewhere in those years. You can't use a 6-speed MKIV TT LSD (12 bolt) 'B-type' because it doesn't fit inside the 'A-type' housing. If you choose to buy the pumpkin, I believe you need to buy the housing, and axle shafts as the differential is a different shape as well. Why would you further gear the GS down from 3.26-3.13, you might not even need LSD as that point. You also can't use a MKIII/IS300 LSD because it is a differential style, and size. Here is what will work if it is pulled from a MKIV Supra/Aristo, not to say one couldn't be pulled from a JDM Crown, idk... I know that no Lexus came with an LSD.

93-98 MKIV Supra (JZA80)
w/turbo, 4-speed AT (3.76 ratio) LSD

93-98 MKIV Supra (JZA80)
w/o turbo, 5-speed MT (4.08 ratio) LSD

93-98 MKIV Supra (JZA80)
w/o turbo, 5-speed MT (4.27 ratio) LSD

93-98 MKIV Supra (JZA80)
w/o turbo, 4-speed AT (3.76 ratio) LSD

93-96 Toyota Aristo (JZS147)
w/ turbo, 4-speed AT (3.76 ratio) LSD

If you want to keep the 3.26 gearing, and just buy an LSD insert, look to spend a good $800-$1500 depending on the brand, most people get the TRD insert, but the cheapest I've found was $850, and it didn't include shipping. Since we have to order it at my dealer, they won't give me a price break, so I laughed at the parts guys when they told me $1000.... Anyways, looks for a used one or new one, either way it'll be a few pretty pennies.

As far as the articles or where to get your knowledge....
Good read, good info, not reeeeeeeally what your looking for, but it's the theory that counts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-pumpkin.html
He has a list of 4 threads, as well as some other useful information in there
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=567267
And this is the main article where I got most of my info from, then it expanded from there...
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=484348

Let know if your need any more help...

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 03-31-10 at 07:45 PM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 04-01-10, 07:20 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

thank you guys for posting all this info...it makes it that much easier for the next guy that is searching for the same answers

and yes i will be dragging and drifting this beast. i am infatuated with building 4dr family type cars that go fast, corner hard, and are just a kick in the *** to drive/play with. i adore the creature comforts inside this car, and the capable power plant. this is just a small step in the overall scheme of things. drivetrain and suspension are first...then more power (already started collecting turbo parts) there is a method to my madness haha....ive driven a couple rwd's with welded diff's and its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...the 240sx i drove only chirped the tires at like sub 5mph speeds. something i can live with in order to leave 2 solid black stripes at will

again, much appreciated!!

(PS...i posted up a shot in the dark thread on my local forum, and got a PM this morning from a guy that has a gs300 pumpkin from a car he parted out that had 80k on it....going to grab it this weekend for $80!)
Old 04-01-10, 08:00 AM
3UZFTE

thank you guys for posting all this info...it makes it that much easier for the next guy that is searching for the same answers

and yes i will be dragging and drifting this beast. i am infatuated with building 4dr family type cars that go fast, corner hard, and are just a kick in the *** to drive/play with. i adore the creature comforts inside this car, and the capable power plant. this is just a small step in the overall scheme of things. drivetrain and suspension are first...then more power (already started collecting turbo parts) there is a method to my madness haha....ive driven a couple rwd's with welded diff's and its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...the 240sx i drove only chirped the tires at like sub 5mph speeds. something i can live with in order to leave 2 solid black stripes at will

again, much appreciated!!

(PS...i posted up a shot in the dark thread on my local forum, and got a PM this morning from a guy that has a gs300 pumpkin from a car he parted out that had 80k on it....going to grab it this weekend for $80!)
Good to hear, keep us updated as this community like photos and good deals. You can't beast an $80 diff can ya? Sorry I was quick to jump, I just remember doing tons of homework on this very topic. Not that there isn't a GS drifting, but I always have a sweet spot for 4 thousand lb. sedan sliding around corners with enough power to peel those tires off. Good luck with the build, and I hope I helped more than not.
Old 04-01-10, 10:39 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

u did, thanks
Old 04-01-10, 03:33 PM
ROPADOPA
Pole Position

for reference, i have successfully swapped a few A series diffs. I have a six speed trans so i was looking to match my gear close to a supra without having to pay supra dollars.

My car a 99 GS300 . stock 390 gear...... i got a diff from a GS4xx that had a 3.27 gear in it. I be-leave the housings were the same but the companion flanges were the only differences between the gs3/gs4 . I then found a used LSD unit from a supra just the Differential , assembled all into my housing 3.27 ring and pinion and supra auto tt LSD unit. works excellent.

Hope this helps
Old 04-01-10, 06:10 PM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA
for reference, i have successfully swapped a few A series diffs. I have a six speed trans so i was looking to match my gear close to a supra without having to pay supra dollars.

My car a 99 GS300 . stock 390 gear...... i got a diff from a GS4xx that had a 3.27 gear in it. I be-leave the housings were the same but the companion flanges were the only differences between the gs3/gs4 . I then found a used LSD unit from a supra just the Differential , assembled all into my housing 3.27 ring and pinion and supra auto tt LSD unit. works excellent.

Hope this helps
Ah, you are 100% correct, I forgot to tell DumpedGS the difference between the two housings in scratching the old brain with your questions. The companion flange, where the driveshaft bolts up to the diff is smaller on the GS3 than it is on the GS4. You need to swap over flanges, and then it will bolt right up. Since your taking out your stock GS4, you just swap the flanges over as the GS3 is going in. You can read more here, pretty easy and straight forward, only part to mind is the torque and pre-load on the pinion. Like I mention in the thread, I just my snap-on air gun, and didn't pay too much attention to the specs and it works fine... but I don't encourage you to do so. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s300-diff.html
Old 04-02-10, 07:42 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

sweet! thanks again
Old 04-06-10, 09:35 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ROPADOPA

Hope this helps
I recently got an LSD put in with stock gear on 2gs430. Since you had it for a while, how do you like it?

Do you have more power to take advantage of that gearing?

For those that owns the supra or have LSD w/power ... is 133% the max it really can handle? So does that mean the supra guys with more power are not running thier LSD and opt for another solution?
Old 04-06-10, 10:01 AM
3UZFTE

Originally Posted by sam430
Do you have more power to take advantage of that gearing?

For those that owns the supra or have LSD w/power ... is 133% the max it really can handle? So does that mean the supra guys with more power are not running thier LSD and opt for another solution?
Read his signature, it says he's GTE'd with a V160, so that would be a Yes.

I can't for sure say the power limit, but I am sure there is one. I know that the guys who are really making a lot of power are opting for the TRD LSD or carbonetics, tomei, kaaz, etc. However, for us GS owners, nothing we have would put down the same stock power as the GTE, I mean, close, but not the same. I know that there are a few people out there running 400+hp on them, however that is about 133% of 320hp, so....again most bust them up and go for the TRD, which seems to be significantly stronger. Just from what I've read, seen, and experienced.
Old 04-06-10, 12:57 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Read his signature, it says he's GTE'd with a V160, so that would be a Yes.

I can't for sure say the power limit, but I am sure there is one. I know that the guys who are really making a lot of power are opting for the TRD LSD or carbonetics, tomei, kaaz, etc. However, for us GS owners, nothing we have would put down the same stock power as the GTE, I mean, close, but not the same. I know that there are a few people out there running 400+hp on them, however that is about 133% of 320hp, so....again most bust them up and go for the TRD, which seems to be significantly stronger. Just from what I've read, seen, and experienced.

Ahh, I should be future proof then I wonder what JeffTsai is running. I might go above 400hp and still be ok... also, it's good info -- I don't have to baby the car as much knowing that (assuming no one ever got into problems with it except for Sakataj).

Quick Reply: Diff options for GS400