Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New Supercharger for the 2GR-FSE engine from Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 06:32 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leek
Ha! I spit out my drink at this one...
There are only 3 things that are certainly guaranteed: Death, taxes, and if there is a post
on boosting a 2IS on CL, Kurtz will be there to hurt our feelings.

Last edited by JYOO; 12-21-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 06:47 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Kurtz all joking aside, i have a question.

You keep bringing up compression ratio as the main road block. Even if say u get forged rods, pistons, etc and maybe a return style fuel system dont u think boosting is still possible? The new 5.0 coyote is pretty high compression at 11 to 1 with variable valve timing i believe, maybe higher and they are boosting that thing like crazy on stock non-forged internals. Ive already seen like atleast 5 different supercharger kits and couple turbos for the new 5.0 and they are doing fine so far (it is a new car, so cant judge long-term reliabily yet).

What do ya thank, kurtz?? I know this car was not made to tear up the 1/4 mile for cheap like a mustang, i think it would still be fun to have more power in a little lexus. Ive had 2 cobras, 2 GTs, in the past all modded n ran all of em, so i have a little experience and i would not waste alotta time trying to run this car.

Last edited by JYOO; 12-21-11 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 08:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JYOO
Kurtz all joking aside, i have a question.

You keep bringing up compression ratio as the main road block. Even if say u get forged rods, pistons, etc and maybe a return style fuel system dont u think boosting is still possible?
The first problem is none of those things exist for the 2IS.

And Lance has previously mentioned that even having low CR pistons made would require some R&D (or some very specific knowledge about the design of the piston crown for the direct injection system- like guy who designed the engine level of knowledge) to get it right.

The new 5.0 coyote is pretty high compression at 11 to 1 with variable valve timing i believe, maybe higher and they are boosting that thing like crazy on stock non-forged internals. Ive already seen like atleast 5 different supercharger kits and couple turbos for the new 5.0 and they are doing fine so far (it is a new car, so cant judge long-term reliabily yet).
they're not making crazy power with cheap bolt on blowers though are they?

Check this thing out:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...injected.shtml

here's the street legal kit (that they'll offer a warranty with)
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...d_street.shtml
Notice it mentions low boost a buncha times... and that's even with adding fuel and tuning.

And costs $6500-7000.

Now here is their high-boost kit-
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ted_comp.shtml

Notice it replaces the engine internals with forged parts and drops the compression ratio to 8.9:1

Now here is the Kenne Bell kit for the 5.0-

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...ustang2011.htm

Note again- the standard kit is 8 psi. And runs about $7000.

They offer more boost, but there again you start adding more parts to make it work... at 10 psi they're running slightly higher octane fuel... at 12 psi they're running a bunch of fuel system upgrades, a TB upgrade, and 100 octane gas.

What do ya thank, kurtz?? I know this car was not made to tear up the 1/4 mile for cheap like a mustang, i think it would still be fun to have more power in a little lexus. Ive had 2 cobras, 2 GTs, in the past all modded n ran all of em, so i have a little experience and i would not waste alotta time trying to run this car.
Yup, I modded lots of previous cars too... my last was an Impala with a 383 stroker in it, over 500 hp NA... before that I owned several supras, etc...

And I get nauseous every time I see the $ to hp ratio for mods on the 2IS compared to any of em.

Would it be fun if you could spend a grand or two and add 50-100 hp to the car like ones I've owned in the past? Sure. But ya can't (discounting nitrous anyway) and that's unlikely to change.

The lack of +hp mods is one of the things my wife loved about my plans to buy my IS

The IS350 is "quick enough" for a DD to me... I've done the two mods that add a tiny bit of power for non-obscene costs and won't fail emissions...If you want faster, get an IS-F. To me .5 seconds faster 0-60 wasn't worth 10-15k more, and that's coming with a warranty and a much better transmission too... so spending 7-10k to boost a 350 makes even less sense to me.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-21-11 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 10:55 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Kurtz some of your links are for the 4.6 3 valve, which i prefer if i had to mod to the coyote but the coyote makes much more HP. But i guess you are right, the high compression coyote still costs much more to mod and needs more supporting mods which is why i would prefer the stout 3 valvers if i was to mod.

Plus as i mentioned the coyote is too new and unproven, who knows what type of problems they may run into down the line, even tho the 2is has been around since 06, when it comes to boost it is still unproven, that said, much props to the guys who are currently running boosted 2is' if its still running currently and making more power than the rest of us, you guys are doing something right!!
Old 12-22-11, 05:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Kurtz some of your links are for the 4.6 3 valve, which i prefer if i had to mod to the coyote but the coyote makes much more HP. But i guess you are right, the high compression coyote still costs much more to mod and needs more supporting mods which is why i would prefer the stout 3 valvers if i was to mod.
From my first link it only mentions the 4.6 on the first tab, but it's the parent page for the kit for all models... if you click the 2nd tab on that page you get:
EDELBROCK E-FORCE SUPERCHARGER STREET LEGAL KIT FOR 2011-12 5.0L MODELS
Likewise the third tab (also my 3rd link) if you scroll down a tad you'll find:
E-Force Competition Supercharger Kit for 20011 Ford Mustang 5.0L 4V
and the last link explicitly has 2011 in the URL (and directly on the page it goes to)

Plus as i mentioned the coyote is too new and unproven, who knows what type of problems they may run into down the line, even tho the 2is has been around since 06, when it comes to boost it is still unproven, that said, much props to the guys who are currently running boosted 2is' if its still running currently and making more power than the rest of us, you guys are doing something right!!
Well, anything can be done with enough $ invested... and for the folks who live in countries where the 350 isn't offered... (or some others where the price difference between models is massively larger than the US), even the very modest amounts of boost the 2IS can handle is their only option regardless of cost.

Personally I'm surprised there's not more folks experimenting with nitrous... it's 5-10 times cheaper than all the boost options we've seen, and for gains that are similar or in most cases larger.

I grant you it's not always on, but then are you always using even the base hp on your car, let alone an extra 50-70?

There's also the whole fear of blowing your motor up thing, but there's plenty of safety you can build into a proper system.
Old 12-22-11, 05:30 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car is an open book for all to see! If anyone would like to look at how HKS.JP made this S/C kit then you are welcome to come and pick over my engine bay.

As for ECU mapping we'll have to talk in person only, but I have a solid solution!

Just an FYI, sometime with'n the next year (or so) I'm doing a complete motor rebuild with lower CR pistons and GTM upgraded HKS supercharger (15lbs + 9.5.1 CR)

Shooting for 450-500 WHP

EDIT----> NOS is faster than boost at this point. Just not as much daily fun.

Best times on NOS 12.55 1/4 mile
Best times on S/C 12.7 1/4 mile

I turely think if I could run the 1/4 mile on a 30 degree day then the S/C would be faster.

So to sum it up.

NOS = 330 WHP = 12.55 1/4 time = $1000.00
S/C = @ 330WHP= 12.7+ 1/4 times = $7000.00

Is $6000 dollars worth the daily fun and uber JDM points?????????? It is too me.

Last edited by HKS350; 12-22-11 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-22-11, 05:42 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Post # 1600........in a supercharger thread, NICE!
Old 12-22-11, 06:18 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HKS350
My car is an open book for all to see! If anyone would like to look at how HKS.JP made this S/C kit then you are welcome to come and pick over my engine bay.

As for ECU mapping we'll have to talk in person only, but I have a solid solution!

Just an FYI, sometime with'n the next year (or so) I'm doing a complete motor rebuild with lower CR pistons and GTM upgraded HKS supercharger (15lbs + 9.5.1 CR)

Shooting for 450-500 WHP
Custom pistons I'm guessing? Any thoughts on the custom piston crown shape for the DI system that Lance has mentioned before?

EDIT----> NOS is faster than boost at this point. Just not as much daily fun.

Best times on NOS 12.55 1/4 mile
Best times on S/C 12.7 1/4 mile

I turely think if I could run the 1/4 mile on a 30 degree day then the S/C would be faster.
I could be totally misremembering this, but I thought you had traction issues on the SC run? You trapped higher than the NOS runs I thought?

So to sum it up.

NOS = 330 WHP = 12.55 1/4 time = $1000.00
S/C = @ 330WHP= 12.7+ 1/4 times = $7000.00

Is $6000 dollars worth the daily fun and uber JDM points?????????? It is too me.

Have you had the SC on the dyno yet, or are you going off trap speeds? Be curious to see the chart if you have
Old 12-22-11, 11:00 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
6 is certainly doable and has been done by many... anything past 7 is really pushing things though unless you're going with water or meth injection or something... and nobody's doing it cheap.
6-7 lbs is really all I (personally) need and, quite frankly is all the extra stress Id want to put the 2is transmission/drivetrain. As it is, isuxel (regardless of his boost levels) is having traction issues one and off the strip. Even without boost the 350 will spin her tires if you try to pull out too hard. So the application for F/I is really on the highway when some douche in an over-tight T-shirt tries to do a fly by on the highway in his AMG/M3/RS4. The look in their eyes through their D&G shades and the creases in their forehead that appear as their plucked brows lift in surprised dismay below frosted tips jelled to deadly points as I reel them in and then pass them in my little sedan is, in itself worth any price and effort.

I'd heard the HKS f-con had some applications for timing. I know it can control shift times and speed throttle responce etc. but it seems for 3 grand it should do a bit more.
Old 12-22-11, 11:24 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Would lower CR pistons or shorter rods be the cheaper/safer alternative to low the CR is our 2IS motors? Would the alloy/silicone content of our OE pistons actually handle another 80whp and increase in CC pressures?
Old 12-22-11, 02:00 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Custom pistons I'm guessing? Any thoughts on the custom piston crown shape for the DI system that Lance has mentioned before?

I'm going to send an OEM piston to CP so they can design to spec. Already talked to the R&D dept. and they seem to think its not an issue at all.

I could be totally misremembering this, but I thought you had traction issues on the SC run? You trapped higher than the NOS runs I thought?

Right, traction issues. Trap speeds are the same, so I'm guessing my WHP is the same as with NOS.

So with all the modds --- Headers, HKS S/C, Exhaust.......hmmmm thats it really. I'm @ 80HP more than Stock. 50HP comes from the supercharger.

If I were to adjust my gearing (smaller 18" tires) and run on a cooler day I really think I can hit 12.2 1/4 mile time. Maybe better.

Have you had the SC on the dyno yet, or are you going off trap speeds? Be curious to see the chart if you have

NO, not yet. I've done all my tuning by data logging and correcting the mapping off of the given data. To me dyno's are only good for base tuning or lofty numbers that don't apply to the driveablity of the car.

I will dyno when I roll to a random "dyno day" if the line is short and prices are cheap.
Old 12-22-11, 03:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a '09 Tacoma with a TRD SC and had problems.
New one installed same knocking problems.I traded the Tacoma in.
No more add on SC or Turbo for me.Even if it's a Toyota product.
Old 12-23-11, 06:22 AM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, there are quite a few aftermarket piston companies that deal with direct injection shaping already, and very well. I really dont think it'll be a problem for them, it's just that no one has had it done.

HKS, only 330 to the wheels? Hell, I'm putting down 293 now, only 37 more hp for me??? Thats a little depressing......

On a side note, the MAPECU is performing well, but I am working out a mysterious issue. Every now and then, I'll shut the car down running fine and the car will start up incredibly rich and continue to run like that. I'm talking 10 afr at idle.

This has happened twice. Now, I know Kurtz and the like are thinking that its the long term fuel trims and how MAPECU is monkeying with things, but I'm not convinced. A simple ecu reset does NOT fix the problem. My tuner suspects it's the o2 sims, not giving the true data that is causing the ecu to wig out over time.

I really suspect its the maf sensor. It's had a hard life with me. The only way to get the car running correctly again is to thoroughly clean the maf sensor and reset the ecu.

The first time I reset the ecu first, and when that didnt work I then cleaned the sensor. This past time, I did both at the same time and it fixed. I really shoulda just tried cleaning the sensor alone.

Anyway, I'm not concerned with it and the rear mount turbo plans are full steam ahead. 90k miles and running stronger than ever!

Last edited by 06isDriver; 12-23-11 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-23-11, 10:40 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver

On a side note, the MAPECU is performing well, but I am working out a mysterious issue. Every now and then, I'll shut the car down running fine and the car will start up incredibly rich and continue to run like that. I'm talking 10 afr at idle.

Anyway, I'm not concerned with it and the rear mount turbo plans are full steam ahead. 90k miles and running stronger than ever!
This sounds like what happens to my car if I don't let it fully warm up,...like moving it from one side of the drive way to the other. Almost like it never got switched over from open loop to close loop,...runs like a diesel for a few minutes on next start up.

On another note I saw TV show with a slick Tacoma V6 rear mount turbo kit,...that would be nice to get working on an IS350

Like this one: http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0607...o/viewall.html
Old 12-03-13, 02:01 PM
byujakedmb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this thread has been dead for some time now... But does anyone know the compression ratio of the boosted engine offered in the original post? I am looking to set up a nitrous system on my 3is and I wanna know how high compression can get on the stock engine safely. Thanks for any info!

Quick Reply: New Supercharger for the 2GR-FSE engine from Toyota