Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE Headers on IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 08:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbounnoi
will these fit on the 250 awd?
Highly unlikely... when Mazzuri was developing his he had to make a special set to fit AWD
Old 02-01-10, 08:21 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very Interested!! Will jump on these as soon as available!! Nice gains BTW
Old 02-17-10, 07:36 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mazzuri
I don't make intakes, so I can't say anything there, but when it comes to making a header at this point I can make one blind.

A good example I can give you is Burns Stainless, you give them your motor specs and they give you some numbers, follow those numbers and you will have a header that will make great power. I have my own formulas that I use and have used it to make a header for the RX8, **** load of Hondas, is300, IS250, many turbo cars and have always made a lot more power.

As for R&D I spend 6 months on it, I even bought a 250 for it. Everything between the 350 and the 250 is exactly the same as far as headers and fitment goes, I verified this.

With all that said, I could have spit out some BS 350 numbers had a graph made, would that have made you feel more "safe". The bottom line is, the headers will not make less than what the 250 made, and that much power from a header is a huge addition to any car.
Correct me if im wrong, can't we use PPE's IS350 headers on our 250s?
Old 02-17-10, 07:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Correct me if im wrong, can't we use PPE's IS350 headers on our 250s?
I imagine they'd physically fit (RWD anyway) but it's not a very good idea to use headers designed for an entirely different displacement engine.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into properly designing and sizing headers and it's entirely possible to reduce power by using the wrong ones.

What's kinda interesting about that Mazzuri quote is that when his 350 headers were later actually tested they made a lot less hp than his 250 ones did on a 250. In one dyno test they actually lost hp from stock (though very little).

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-17-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-17-10, 11:29 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Ahh I didn't think about that.
Old 02-20-10, 11:49 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaugster
This in interesting. I have the Mazzuri headers with a electronic sim of sorts. It prevents the CEL from coming on which is a good thing.

However, I have noticed that the my vehicle now always displays a 'yellow' LED status when monitoring the ODBII system. So it looks like the vehicle hasn't completed some diagnostic sequence even though I have driven over 30,000 miles on the headers.

The OBDII system needs to have a green status to pass emissions in my state.

How complete is your solution in that regard? Any possibility that you would sell the O2 sensor extension separately? I’d like to get one and try it out.
Do you have the scan tool to check this? I assumed if the CEL light was off everything was a-okay
Old 02-20-10, 12:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Do you have the scan tool to check this? I assumed if the CEL light was off everything was a-okay
Not true. You can have no CEL and no stored DTC and still fail emissions. The wife's Scion tC did this. There is a "test ready" condition requiring a specific driving pattern if the ECM has lost power and reset. You can't pass emissions until this driving pattern has completed and all the test elements have passed the internal test parameters. I'm sure this is why there is a "yellow LED" indication on the tester. From TIS for the 2007 IS 350:
CHECKING MONITOR STATUS
The purpose of the monitor result (mode 06) is to allow access to the results for on-board diagnostic monitoring tests of specific components/systems that are not continuously monitored. Examples are catalyst, evaporative emission (EVAP) and thermostat.

The monitor result allows the OBD II scan tool to display the monitor status, test value, minimum test limit and maximum test limit. These data are displayed after the vehicle has been driven to run the monitor.

When the test value is not between the minimum test limit and maximum test limit, the ECM (PCM) interprets this as a malfunction. When the component is not malfunctioning, if the difference of the test value and test limit is very small, the component will malfunction in the near future.

Perform the following instruction to view the monitor status. Although this instruction reference the Lexus/Toyota diagnostic tester, it can be checked using a generic OBD II scan tool. Refer to your scan tool operator's manual for specific procedures....
There's a whole lot more information about the details, but the idea is pretty simple. When the ECM is checking the catalytic converter, it is finding it NOT meeting test requirements, but not enough to set a DTC or CEL.
Old 02-22-10, 01:20 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

^^^^

I concur
Old 04-05-10, 12:25 PM
MKsky
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... does PPE realesed one for is250 yet? has been waiting this for so long.
Old 04-05-10, 04:40 PM
WPB250
Rookie

they said mid april
Old 04-15-10, 01:34 PM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by WPB250
they said mid april
Today is mid april...whats uppppp
Old 04-15-10, 03:29 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeEss
Today is mid april...whats uppppp
Try calling them at 480-615-7900. They also have a full exhaust which some members have purchased but is not listed on the website.
Old 04-15-10, 05:49 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by montgb
Try calling them at 480-615-7900. They also have a full exhaust which some members have purchased but is not listed on the website.
The prototype exhaust is still on my car. I'm dropping it off next week and they should have final specs ready to go and we'll post some pics and videos.

The 250 headers should be about ready from what I hear too so you guys should be good to go very soon!
Old 04-18-10, 06:32 PM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW those headers is a must. The dyno looks good.
Old 04-18-10, 08:42 PM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZ JB
The prototype exhaust is still on my car. I'm dropping it off next week and they should have final specs ready to go and we'll post some pics and videos.
Here's the vid I found on PPE's FB page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7xvl...layer_embedded

Waiting for more info and numbers, too...

Quick Reply: PPE Headers on IS250