Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Twin-turbo vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 11:20 AM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin-turbo vs. Supercharger

Hey i was wondering if i should twin-turbo my is300 or supercharge it. I can get a supercharger which will be smog legal in califrnia and cheaper but a twin-turbo will bring more power. Please give me some advice on where to go with this.
Old 02-02-09, 11:37 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPJOSH
Hey i was wondering if i should twin-turbo my is300 or supercharge it. I can get a supercharger which will be smog legal in califrnia and cheaper but a twin-turbo will bring more power. Please give me some advice on where to go with this.
Depends on what you want personally and how much money/time you're willing to spend. A Twin turbo system will obviously net you more gains over a supercharger, the possibilities with a turbo are amazing. A supercharger will give you more consistent gains over the entire RPM range, while with the turbo you can experience turbo spooling or turbo lag. Furthermore, a supercharger is overall easier to maintain and a straightforward method of forced induction. But if you have the money, will, time and the right people to do the install and tuning, then go with the turbo. Otherwise stick with a supercharger and safe driving
Old 02-03-09, 12:25 PM
is300chris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

twin turbos would only be useful if you swapped in a 2jz gte or built your engine to handle the power.
i would just stick to a single turbo if you where to go the turbo way.
it really depends on what power level your looking for with a super charger you can get 300whp with out even opening the engine up.

i think that supercharged cars are alot nicer to drive
Old 02-12-09, 07:54 AM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have someone that will hook me up with a vortech supercharger but by their dyno test it only ups the hp by 90. While a single turbo will give me more hp but will cost almost 2k more and not street legal.
Old 02-20-09, 06:04 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Turbo not street legal? glad I don't live wherever you do...

I was running a FP Green on my old GSX
If any turbo should not be street legal.. that's the one hehehe =)
Old 02-23-09, 01:17 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vortech SC is not street legal as of last time I checked. It is pending and chances are that they will make it carb legal are zero to none.
Old 02-24-09, 11:58 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

If you're looking for a TT kit the only one I've seen is the HKS kit for the GTE. But is like 12k. Cheaper to do a Aristo/Supra swap. A 1JZ swap is even less. More reliable in the long run because you'll have the GTE internals also. NA-Ts aren't as reliable and are break down more depending on the power.

If you want an SC there are a few for sale on isfanatics.com. You can PM a guy over there named RaptorV1. He has a Raptor SC and it's very well. Seen it in person.
Old 02-27-09, 05:32 PM
toyotasupr
Rookie

i noticed you live in ca. no supercharger kit was ever made for the is300 is legal. the only legal way is a tt 2jgte motor swap from a supra if you are living in ca and you would need a obd2 motor
Old 03-01-09, 04:53 PM
is300chris
Lead Lap

swaps not even legal because the engine has to be from the same year as your car or newer.
Old 03-29-09, 03:11 AM
pandy_88
Lead Lap

TTTTTTTTTTTurbo
Old 03-30-09, 05:43 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Much more work required for a turbo job, especially if your planning to do a twin turbo. It's harder to find a TT manifold for the 2JZ-GE. Much easier to get a TT manifold for the 2JZ-GTE, so you might as well do a swap for it.

Otherwise, for the 2JZ-GE, a single turbo would probably yield higher gains in the long run. You'd need to start doing internal upgrades if you plan on boosting over 7-8psi, things like headgasket and such would need to be upgraded on the GE motor.
Old 04-14-09, 07:50 PM
Ih8Deer
Driver School Candidate

California is such a PITA about things. I understand why but I am very much glad that I don't live there for that reason. =)
Old 04-19-09, 04:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

CA is going to be alittle harder to find a CARB approved set up, but they have to have them, its california for gods sake. They are the tuner capital of the world
Old 04-28-09, 02:01 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

http://www.southsideimports.net/foru...ead.php?t=7820

check this thread..
Old 05-13-09, 11:15 PM
mjgood13
Driver School Candidate

I've heard that you can do an aristo head swap on our ge block and use the stock is300's ecu to make the swap to twins easier. I'm looking at either doing that type of swap myself or going with the 3sge off the JDM altezza. Still can't decide if I want good mileage or straight power.

Quick Reply: Twin-turbo vs. Supercharger