Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

P1349 VVT System Malfunction (Bank 1b) blocked oil control valve filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 04:56 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
I haven't posted here in a while because I'm been enjoying my new toy... and after 20 years and 175k miles, I finally got the dreaded P1349 code while waiting on a Chick-fil-a milkshake. I was cheating on my diet, so now I'm paying the price lol. I'm planning on replacing the variable oil control valve solenoid, the OCV filter, and TPS while I'm there since they give you the CEL, VSC, and VSC Off lights. The power of search works all the time.
I would clean the filter out first and make sure your oil is full and clean
Old 01-05-23, 05:21 PM
thebigchip
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a P1349, and associated misfire codes about a month ago. It would trigger as soon as the car was at temp, and I could not clear it with a scanner (it would immediately retrigger) Changed both OCVs (preventative), and the rough idle went away.

However, after reaching temp, the P1349 will return, I can clear it and be fine for the rest of the journey. Next time I start the car and drive, same issue. '02 LS430. What should I be looking at next? Car drives absolutely fine, with no rough idle once it triggers. 15k on new cambelt, and this issue did not arise until about 1k miles ago
Old 01-05-23, 09:46 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigchip
I got a P1349, and associated misfire codes about a month ago. It would trigger as soon as the car was at temp, and I could not clear it with a scanner (it would immediately retrigger) Changed both OCVs (preventative), and the rough idle went away.

However, after reaching temp, the P1349 will return, I can clear it and be fine for the rest of the journey. Next time I start the car and drive, same issue. '02 LS430. What should I be looking at next? Car drives absolutely fine, with no rough idle once it triggers. 15k on new cambelt, and this issue did not arise until about 1k miles ago
It's the cambelt comment, that makes me suggest... check the timing belt timing, between the crank, and cams.

We had this issue with our '98 GS400.... it would never idle correctly, had terrible highway lack-of-smoothness, and the engine code would never go away, even after replacing the OCVs, plugs, etc. Turned out, the last timing belt job had mis-timed the cam to the "T", rather then the timing-line.

If you have the time, set the crank to 0 BTC, pull the cam covers, and validate that the cam-pulley timing-mark, not the "T" (mechanics mis-take T for Timing, not T for Toyota...!) match up to the timing-dot on the cylinder head... let us know.
Old 02-07-23, 02:20 PM
Bigwillie
Rookie

Hi guys,
A lot of reading here. 2001 GS300 312K
Without an Oscope how do you diagnose a possible ECM failure?
I have replaced the solenoid 3 times with the same out come.
Did the 12v direct to contacts while warm and running, on all three, no change to idle but i can hear it actuating (clicking).
Cleaned filter well.
Note:
When we initially replace the solenoids, we immediately get a brief return of performance on test run and then back to limp.
I know you can't see the input signal from the ECM but i country engineered a dmm connection to the plug and drove. I see .794v at idle and as we accelerate voltage climbs to ~7. v and then my volt meter went to OL. (I think I had my V limit set below 8v, oops) anyway, I saw a change in signal.

SO, i think, maybe its in the VVT gear an internal leakage between advance and retard. Can that happen?
There is evidence of oil in the valve and filter but don't know pressure?
Only getting P1346 and P1349
Changed the timing belt, cam and main seals, confirmed TDC, it was doggy before the change.

Last edited by Bigwillie; 02-07-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-07-23, 08:51 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigwillie
Hi guys,
A lot of reading here. 2001 GS300 312K
Without an Oscope how do you diagnose a possible ECM failure?
I have replaced the solenoid 3 times with the same out come.
Did the 12v direct to contacts while warm and running, on all three, no change to idle but i can hear it actuating (clicking).
Cleaned filter well.
Note:
When we initially replace the solenoids, we immediately get a brief return of performance on test run and then back to limp.
I know you can't see the input signal from the ECM but i country engineered a dmm connection to the plug and drove. I see .794v at idle and as we accelerate voltage climbs to ~7. v and then my volt meter went to OL. (I think I had my V limit set below 8v, oops) anyway, I saw a change in signal.

SO, i think, maybe its in the VVT gear an internal leakage between advance and retard. Can that happen?
There is evidence of oil in the valve and filter but don't know pressure?
Only getting P1346 and P1349
Changed the timing belt, cam and main seals, confirmed TDC, it was doggy before the change.
I was going too long between oil changes since my rear main seal was leaking and I got some crap in the vvti filter. I cleaned it out and everything was back to normal for a short period of time. I had to clean it out a second time and it was fine after.
Old 02-08-23, 06:33 AM
Bigwillie
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
I was going too long between oil changes since my rear main seal was leaking and I got some crap in the vvti filter. I cleaned it out and everything was back to normal for a short period of time. I had to clean it out a second time and it was fine after.
I was hoping. I cleaned it out twice and even ran it without it same thing.
Old 02-08-23, 06:35 AM
Bigwillie
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
I wonder if there is a blockage between the filter and the gear….