Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Unorthodox Racing Pulley - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 11:16 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unorthodox Racing Pulley - opinions?

Ok so I was just looking around online for different performance parts and was looking into what cars like 350z's had since the engine is somewhat similar to our cars. I noticed alot of 350z's had an Unorthodox Racing Pulley set, and I also saw that turbo magazine did a before and after dyno with the kit and they had a peak gain for 6.1 hp and a gian of 9hp at 5500 rpms.. which seems pretty good for a simple bolt on. Plus they lost 5.5 lbs.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-26-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:54 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Can someone explain what this does?

I'm in, but that's just because I wanna do what all the cool kids do.
Old 04-25-08, 11:58 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

the link doesnt work but what exactly do the new pulleys do? Ive heard of them before but ive never really known what they were for.
Old 04-25-08, 12:05 PM
phil9892
Driver

Depending on the vehicle, some kits have alternator or crank pulleys and some have both, but the purpose is that they are lighter and reduce rotational force.
Old 04-25-08, 12:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys
Old 04-25-08, 01:19 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I hope it's not an underdrive. just lighten the sucker.
Old 04-25-08, 01:26 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

if its a pulley kit, it includes alternator, power, and crank. I wouldn't mess with the alternator and power. Gains are very little doubt you will even feel it. mostly like a look mod. But if its just for the crank, I'm in.
Old 04-25-08, 01:32 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this void warranty?
Old 04-25-08, 03:26 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Before anyone does this mod you need to realize that OEM crank pulleys are not just pulleys. They are harmonics dampeners. There is a reason why they are there. Talk with anyone who builds engines and they will tell you how important they are for the longevity of your engines. OEM crank pulleys are simply the best for the engine since they are designed on the inertial harmonic mass of the OEM internals and help counter-dampen them. The engine's movement is not fluid like everyone expects. Installing these un-dampened crank pulleys are a sure way to damage engines. The front of the crank drives the oil pump too. A damaged oil pump trashes these expensive engines before you can even determine a sign of a problem.

I strongly recommend everyone steer away from this modification.

If you insist on using a non-OEM crank pulley, insist on using an ATI damper instead. There is a reason why all the fastest imports drag recers today use them.

-Joe
Old 04-25-08, 03:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
Would this void warranty?
Yes. In a big way. Top tuners don't recommend them including Dinan Engineering.

http://www.suprasonic.org/public_htm...atedamper.html

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...mper_dinan.htm

I would not run an Unorthodox (or anyone else's) undampened pulley on my dog's lawnmower unless I had someone ready and willing to give me free cranks and blocks. But that's just me.
Old 04-25-08, 04:24 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

im not sure if these reeally are bad for are cars or not.. but i read that you are safe as long as it isnt more than 15-20% underdrive..

unorthodox racing pulley kits are 15% underdrive.. but they also make kits that are oem sizes.. they make both for the is300 right now
Old 04-26-08, 01:16 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes. In a big way. Top tuners don't recommend them including Dinan Engineering.

http://www.suprasonic.org/public_htm...atedamper.html

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...mper_dinan.htm

I would not run an Unorthodox (or anyone else's) undampened pulley on my dog's lawnmower unless I had someone ready and willing to give me free cranks and blocks. But that's just me.
Lingenfelter seems to like them.. and i would consider them a TOP TUNER!

ive also read that with these pulley kits.. mileage improvements of 2 to 3 mpg are typical.
Old 04-26-08, 01:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
Lingenfelter seems to like them.. and i would consider them a TOP TUNER!

ive also read that with these pulley kits.. mileage improvements of 2 to 3 mpg are typical.
Not since John died, and besides, no one in their right mind puts an undampened pulley on a Chevy small block.

Your reports of improved mileage are absolutely BS. I put a lightweight flywheel in both my Supra and my Scion tC, and neither one of those vehicles showed any gas mileage change at all. I guarantee you, a lightweight flywheel removes more mass than any OEM damper weighs in total.

I can point you to many threads on a number of forums showing NO measurable performance change except on a Dynojet or other inertial dyno. I can also tell you about exactly what Reg Riemer described - flexplate bolts backing out, crank position sensors inexplicably rotating, cranks breaking, and main bearings dying when undampened pulleys are used.

If you want to change accessory drives sure, that won't hurt anything, but if you remove a crank pulley with a dampener and replace it with a solid pulley you are asking for warranty claim denial and potential disaster. It's not worth it. I've already argued this with Shawn Baumgartner (owner of Unorthdox Racing) 10 years ago. There are plenty of things they make that are fine and dandy, but solid crank pulleys aren't one of them.
Old 04-26-08, 02:05 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a buzz kill lobux, lol
Old 04-26-08, 02:57 PM
thisisj0
Driver

may be a buzz kill but he probly saved a few members out here who were thinking about doing this mod

Quick Reply: Unorthodox Racing Pulley - opinions?