Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 12:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

it never hurts to add a tranny cooler. My stop and go driving is really abusive on all fluids in my car. Even Amsoil ATF alone was no match. It started to turn dark within a few thousand miles. Ever since I added the tranny cooler, the fluid color has been the same with no indication of additional wear on the fluid addictives.

Not to mention my car shifts smoother over the long run when I'm sitting in traffic
Old 06-18-07, 12:50 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tranny coolers are NOT an useless mod. Automatic transmission temperatures can reach upwards of 250 + degrees. With such temperatures, transmission can fail easily due to a number of different issues, including seals and gaskets being over heated, etc.

Personally, I don't care what type of fluids you use. Yes, it is very reasonable to assume that there are good and bad fluids, but all fluids are subjected to deteriorate due to heat. Some fluids are better quality then others, enabling it to with stand more abuse, while others can't. What it comes down to is the fact that when your fluid does eventually deteriorate, the viscosity will no longer be sufficient to protect your transmission. You can rely on the fact that good fluids can get you through the day, but personally, I’d prefer to prevent my tranny from going out by spending around $200. Then to have to worry about if I ran my car too hard today, should I consider changing out the fluids, but it’s not due for another 2000 miles.

Someone also mentioned that they are using stainless steel lines to run from the tranny cooler to the tranny. Just a heads up, I have read somewhere that the proper stainless lines to use are the ones that are coated with Teflon inserts. The normal stainless lines are consisted of rubber and something with ATF being capable of seeping through. I will looking this information up and post it late on.
Old 06-18-07, 01:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
it never hurts to add a tranny cooler. My stop and go driving is really abusive on all fluids in my car. Even Amsoil ATF alone was no match. It started to turn dark within a few thousand miles. Ever since I added the tranny cooler, the fluid color has been the same with no indication of additional wear on the fluid addictives.

Not to mention my car shifts smoother over the long run when I'm sitting in traffic
I recall you doing a drain and refill only with Amsoil. Mixing the Amsoil universal with the old Toyota Type IV will not yield the same results and added benefit as a full fluid exchange. I have more than 20k on my Amsoil tranny fluid and it is still bright red (with no external tranny cooler). Nothing beats NYC traffic. That is why Consumer Reports used NYC yellow taxi cabs in that test of motor oils they conducted some years back. Get the tranny cooler if you guys do want "added protection". I just see it as overkill on a street application with less than 400hp & 400lb ft. of torque.
Old 06-18-07, 01:24 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

I actually agree with you on this statment. Vehicles are tested and built with a lot of consideration involved. I am sure everyone's seen in magazines and shows where newly designed vehicles are put through a rigourous amount of beating and abuse. The same thing goes for motor oil, transmission oil, ATF, brake fluid, etc. With the amount of technology in vehicles and also fluids now a days, I think it is safe to say that if you are driving your car under 'normal' circumstances (hard or not), you should be just fine. If a fairly stock vehicle's looking for an added protection, upgrade to a better fluid. That should be plenty sufficient enough as far as protection goes. For those that autocross, putting out significant amount of power, etc, should really consider going to a tranny cooler setup.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I recall you doing a drain and refill only with Amsoil. Mixing the Amsoil universal with the old Toyota Type IV will not yield the same results and added benefit as a full fluid exchange. I have more than 20k on my Amsoil tranny fluid and it is still bright red (with no external tranny cooler). Nothing beats NYC traffic. That is why Consumer Reports used NYC yellow taxi cabs in that test of motor oils they conducted some years back. Get the tranny cooler if you guys do want "added protection". I just see it as overkill on a street application with less than 400hp & 400lb ft. of torque.
Old 06-18-07, 01:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes sir! I did a drain and refill many times. There is about 80% amsoil in my tranny right now. But still, even with 80%, the amsoil would turn a bit dark. After I got the tranny cooler in, the color stayed the same ever since.
Old 06-18-07, 01:32 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have 90K on my car and am adding this PI TC (2900 stall) and 3.76 LSD. I'm sure I'll be mashing the pedal a little more and would be REAL upset if my tranny starts to slip because added stress/heat especially if I didn't add a tranny cooler.
Old 06-18-07, 01:42 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whats funny is my 4 cyl. Rav4 comes with a tranny cooler and AT temp indicator standard, while my Gs400 does not
Old 06-18-07, 07:59 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

gill- not sure on how long you have had that cooler on for, but you may want to put something between the radiator and the stainless lines. cant tell from the pic if you already have something or not, but just a friendly suggestion. ive seen that stuff saw through pretty much anything you put it next to, and it sometimes doesnt take long to do it.
Old 06-18-07, 08:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Whats funny is my 4 cyl. Rav4 comes with a tranny cooler and AT temp indicator standard, while my Gs400 does not
The GS400 does have a tranny cooler. It just so happens that the cooler is part of the radiator design. The auxiliary cooler attached to the bottom of the radiator is the tranny's source for cooling.

Another reason why I went with an external cooler is that I did not want the auxiliary cooler to be heated up by the engine's coolant. Some people use the tranny cooler after the aux. cooler for even more cooling capacity.
Old 06-18-07, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Very informative. So a tranny cooler would be useful even on say a stock RX?

How much do they run?
Old 06-18-07, 08:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I got mine for $60 shipped. The particular model I have is the B&M 70264, if i remember correctly. It's good for up to 24,000lb GVW ()

It's $55 shipped from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/B-M-70264-Supe...2225006&sr=8-1

A tranny cooler can only help, especially if you tend to have a heavy foot, which I know you do

I dont remember what the OEM RX cooler looks like (I know LexMex posted a pic once), but if it's the older fin-and-tube style, it can be upgraded to the B&M's stacked design that offers more efficient cooling. This is optional however. Many RX'ers may not need an upgrade at all.

Best $60 i've spent!

Last edited by GSteg; 06-19-07 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 09:02 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this read I just might putting this on the top of my to do list. The way I see it, extra protection cannot hurt especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
BTW is this a DIY mod? If not, how much to have it installed?
Old 06-18-07, 09:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's a DIY job. Only two hoses to connect. The time consuming part is probably mounting the cooler itself. The front bumper needs to be removed for easier access, unless you have one of those RMM front bumper that makes it easier

I say the job takes 1-2 hours for most people, but time flies quickly.

mEx_lEx, you can probably benefit from a tranny cooler, seeing that you live in Arizona!
Old 06-18-07, 09:18 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mEx_lEx, you can probably benefit from a tranny cooler, seeing that you live in Arizona![/QUOTE]

Yes anything that will protect any part of my car from the heat is useful because the sun out here is killer. The worst part is that I will have to park my car in the sun with absolutely no shade for the following two weeks. I have raised my paint and leather care alert level to red.
Old 06-19-07, 01:16 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCMango

Someone also mentioned that they are using stainless steel lines to run from the tranny cooler to the tranny. Just a heads up, I have read somewhere that the proper stainless lines to use are the ones that are coated with Teflon inserts. The normal stainless lines are consisted of rubber and something with ATF being capable of seeping through. I will looking this information up and post it late on.
That might have been me, isn't the OEM tranny line made of rubber? The braided line I used is for oil and gas use. Is ATF oil different from other oils to where it needs a special type of hose??

Originally Posted by Supraownzu
gill- not sure on how long you have had that cooler on for, but you may want to put something between the radiator and the stainless lines. cant tell from the pic if you already have something or not, but just a friendly suggestion. ive seen that stuff saw through pretty much anything you put it next to, and it sometimes doesnt take long to do it.
I've had it on for about 2yrs. but not a lot of miles driven. The oil line does not touch the radiator. I have about 1/2" space. Where both hoses go thru the radiator support, they a have coushion foam around them in case of any chaffing.

Quick Reply: Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS