Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need facts about turbo vvti head on gte block

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 09:15 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need facts about turbo vvti head on gte block

hey guys im going turbo soon, and need a couple facts. i have a friend selling me a 2jzgte engine with no trans. and i was thinking about swapping the gte block and keep the vvti head. but i dont know if can that work. and not sure about the ecu, if i have to run greddy e-manage, thicker head gaskets, and the usual. kinda stuck...
Old 03-02-07, 09:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Wait, so are you planning to running the stock VVTi head and a GTE bottom end? If so, yes it will work(bolt up).
Old 03-02-07, 09:29 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

yeah jeff the thing is getting it to run right
Old 03-02-07, 09:47 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Deception
yeah jeff the thing is getting it to run right
Ask Jason over at JPI. I know he's dropped a few GTE bottom ends into IS300 and GS300's. He has them running pretty nicely. I took a ride in one of the boosted GS300's before.
Old 03-02-07, 10:39 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A gte block will bolt right up to an Is/Gs head. There is no additional tuning outside of what you would be doing by bolting a turbo kit onto your stock ge block. It will work just fine, I have done well over 10 of them. 1 more thing, I'm not sure which ecu you are referring to but if you use the Vvti head you have to use the Vvti ecu from your Gs. The supra ecu will not control Vvti. You dont need to do anything as far as headgaskets besides install a new fresh one along with head studs.
Old 03-03-07, 12:35 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

well mac i meant the vvti ecu, but as far as that i need tuning, boost guage and controller, and maybe a intercooler??, but is there anything else if i go and run this setup. like get the motor, do the swap..(after there im clueless)
Old 03-03-07, 02:56 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

You will need to use the vvti ecu from the gs when you do a Gte block/Gs head combo. You are going to need some sort of fuel management, injectors, fuel pump, turbo kit, intercooler, boost gauge, preferably a wideband, exhaust, downpipe, intercooler piping, blow off valve, etc....

You would actually be better off doing the Gte block, buying a pre made turbo kit for a Ge based motor (you need the manifold and piping for a Gs with Ge motor) and going from there. It will save you the headache of trying to find parts here and there the whole time your doing the install. Especially if you are unfamiliar with building your own turbo kit, a pre-made kit will have eveything all accounted for and may even come with step by step instructions depending on the kit you get.
Old 03-03-07, 08:46 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

well mac the gte block is already come with the turbo just has no trans, its like a regular tt motor
Old 03-03-07, 11:57 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Deception
well mac the gte block is already come with the turbo just has no trans, its like a regular tt motor
The turbos from the Gte block wont work. The heads are different and the turbo manifold wont bolt up. On top of that none of the Vsv's would work etc... because the Gs ecu has no provision for them. I was assuming you were going to install a new turbo kit. The turbos from a Gte motor won't fit the Vvti Gs head.
Old 03-08-07, 09:59 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

ok mac how about this, umm if i get a aristo motor from japan, will i be able to pass emissions, no check engine light, and are the harness's the same??
Old 03-08-07, 10:07 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Probably not because I don't think anyone has gotten the OBDII to read after the swap yet.
Old 03-08-07, 10:16 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

what kind of swap does Myaristo has. well i have a friend selling a 2gzgte block from japan and i dont know if i can put it on the car, i have heard many people do like a bottom end swap but keep the trans and the head, but macs telling me i need other things to it
Old 03-08-07, 11:27 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Your best bet would be to get an engine, tranny, and ECU all together. Even better if you can find an entire front clip.
Old 03-09-07, 11:22 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

You can do the bottom end and keep the trans and head but the stock turbos arent going to fit becuase they are for the Gte head and not the Ge head. If you go that route you will have to buy a turbo kit and all the associated parts is all I'm saying.

I would be interested to see how they made things work. EVERYONE who has done the swap has tried to get the schematic for the Aristo vvti ecu with no luck. I hope they didnt eliminate the problem just by removing the dash bulbs and telling him it worked.

More power to em if they got it to work but, again..everyone as searched for the wiring schematic/pinout to that ecu and had very limited results.
Old 10-03-11, 08:45 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
A gte block will bolt right up to an Is/Gs head. There is no additional tuning outside of what you would be doing by bolting a turbo kit onto your stock ge block. It will work just fine, I have done well over 10 of them. 1 more thing, I'm not sure which ecu you are referring to but if you use the Vvti head you have to use the Vvti ecu from your Gs. The supra ecu will not control Vvti. You dont need to do anything as far as headgaskets besides install a new fresh one along with head studs.
i have a 98 SC300 vvti.and was think of going this route.but i was told that i will be more prone to detonation.because of the piston dish design on the GTE piston.they explained to me that with the GE head it destroys the combustion chamber squish factor.can you clear that for me.