Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Break in Period L-tuned Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 08:26 AM
usmarines
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in Period L-tuned Exhaust

I installed the exhaust (L-tuned) yesterday and it sounded great, no drone, nice 350z tone. Today it has a drone, and sounds loud, and kind of raspy. Is this normal?
Old 07-12-06, 08:31 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Sorry to hear that man, I put mine on about a week ago, never had any issues with the drone nor the sound.
Old 07-12-06, 08:45 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usmarines
I installed the exhaust (L-tuned) yesterday and it sounded great, no drone, nice 350z tone. Today it has a drone, and sounds loud, and kind of raspy. Is this normal?
i bought the l-tuned exhaust as well. today i noticed some drone but it's not that bad. any louder and i would be annoyed. mine is raspy too sometimes so i guess it's normal. i like it.
Old 07-12-06, 01:05 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ONLY HAD MINE IN FOR 2 DAYS AND I HAD NO PROBLEM TALK TO BLUE99GS4 HE HAD HIS IN FOR OVER 2 WEEKS AND SAID IT SOUNDS A LITTLE LOUDER. THAN WHEN HE FIRST PUT THEM IN. GOOD LUCK WITH URS.
Old 07-12-06, 02:30 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Did the weather change? Has it gotten more humid out? I notice a definite change in tonal quality of the L-tuned when the weather changes.
Old 07-12-06, 04:20 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Yep, they are a little louder now. However, they're not that loud therefore I can't really tell if there's indeed any drone. I haven't heard this from anybody with this exhaust? Anybody knows the answer?
Old 07-12-06, 05:35 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On the 430, it sounds like my stock muffler except when I put my foot in it. I too am waiting for it to get a little a little louder. If not I may have to ditch them and put the Borlas back on. Waiting on Stand By for now.
Old 07-12-06, 06:04 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

nate579, or anybody else who decides to ditch them, i'd like to buy a pair.... let me know if you decide to.
Old 07-12-06, 06:45 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe an exhaust leak?
Old 07-12-06, 06:51 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
maybe an exhaust leak?
Good point, were the old gaskets used? New gaskets? No gaskets? Mine haven't arrived as of yet, so I can't comment as to the tonal quality.
Old 07-12-06, 07:04 PM
usmarines
Driver

Brand new gaskets were installed. I think its the weather sometimes it sounds great, sometimes it drones alittle. I still like the sound overall.
Old 07-12-06, 10:03 PM
luciano
Pole Position

How is it compared to the borlas?
Old 07-14-06, 02:19 PM
usmarines
Driver

Well on the GS300 the borlas sounded raspy with a loud drone to it, I had them on for a week and I couldn't stand it anymore I removed and sold them. My L-tuned exhaust sounds great, except that one day when the weather changed a bit or it could have been because of the strom the night before and my engine sucked up some water. But it sounds great now I love it. It sounds like my SC430 or similar to 350z exhaust tone. Sound is very refined yet sporty, great lexus engineering as usual.
Old 07-14-06, 06:02 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

I think the mufflers are starting to break in. Now the sound is more pronounced. Nice V8 rumble in the background at idle and off idle. I was going through a tunnel today and decided to step on it. And WHOA! Definitely lounder bouncing off the walls, I think they were made to be heard better outside the car than inside. I was a bit disappointed until then, now I am a happy camper. Now compared to the Borlas a def. deeper tone more refined. So now I am happy about my purchased. That drone some people was referring too must be for the GS300 because I don't get it whatsoever in my car. It's still like stock on the inside, quiter inside the car than with the Borlas on.
Old 07-15-06, 10:12 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine on for a few days now and I'm noticing a little more sound. I was disappointed at first, thought they were too much like "stock", now there's a nice growl. I've noticed a slight droan at a stop with the drivers window open, but I like the over all sound!

-Bill

Quick Reply: Break in Period L-tuned Exhaust