Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Variable Valve Timing Intelligence

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 08:36 AM
Patricia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variable Valve Timing Intelligence

Should I be alarmed if the Variable Valve Timing Intelligence has to be replaced on a 2003 GS 300 with 5,800 miles. After being totally trampled at the service department of the Volvo dealership where I purchased my prior automobile ('98 S70 Lemon), I vowed to be better informed this time. Please help, the car should be ready tomorrow (they have had it for five days now).

Last edited by Patricia; 02-15-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-15-04, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Well I'm assuming this is under warranty!? Why did they say it had gone bad? Also, by 'replacing VVT-i' do they mean a replacement of electronics, or the whole valvetrain?
Old 02-15-04, 09:24 AM
Patricia
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it is under warranty. Those are very good questions to ask. Depending on their response should I be more concerned about one of these responses than the other? Thanks much for your response.
Old 02-15-04, 10:02 AM
Timster
Rookie

Good thing it is covered under warranty.
I would be more concerned of exactly what and why?
I'd ask allot more questions.
Let us know what the service writer says!
Tim
Old 02-15-04, 04:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I guess I wouldn't be concerned overall since it's being fixed under warranty, but I would want to know why your car 'failed' and what failed.
Old 02-17-04, 06:17 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These VVT-i gear does fail. And I replaced at least 2 on the gs300. Look for a write up in the future about the VVT-I system and how it works.
JPI
Old 02-18-04, 03:34 AM
Patricia
Driver School Candidate

Default VVT-i

Where is the article going to appear - on this site? Thanks for your response. They said it was actually the actuator and they had to replace the camshaft to get to it. Does this sound plausible? I'm so skeptical and concerned due to the extremely low mileage so I welcome any articles. I have already see this article. Thanks again.
http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/articles/vvt.htm
Old 02-22-04, 03:16 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Default Re: VVT-i

Originally posted by Patricia
Where is the article going to appear - on this site? Thanks for your response. They said it was actually the actuator and they had to replace the camshaft to get to it. Does this sound plausible? I'm so skeptical and concerned due to the extremely low mileage so I welcome any articles. I have already see this article. Thanks again.
http://www.mr2sc.com/websites/articles/vvt.htm
I'm suprised to hear a major malfunction in such a new motor, but since it's covered under warranty, I woldn't be too concerned. I'm think the VVTI gear meshes with the camshaft gear so it's plausablue that they would have to replace the camshaft. May I ask what symptoms your car had before you took it in..noises, complete engine failure, etc??...
Old 02-24-04, 02:40 AM
Patricia
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: VVT-i

Originally posted by SilverLexo
I'm suprised to hear a major malfunction in such a new motor, but since it's covered under warranty, I woldn't be too concerned. I'm think the VVTI gear meshes with the camshaft gear so it's plausablue that they would have to replace the camshaft. May I ask what symptoms your car had before you took it in..noises, complete engine failure, etc??...
I was very surprised also. When 'cold starting' the vehicle, there was a loud 'knock'. On warmer days this did not occur. For the first few days after picking the vehicle up (after service), the 'knocking' did not occur. It has now returned. Incidentally, during the first 5,500 miles this did not occur. They indicated that it was the 'actuator' and to get to that and the VVT-i, they had to replace the camshaft. At this point, I am very apprehensive about this car. This far outweighs that infernal GS 'rattle' that at this point is just a nuisance. Thanks for your response. Any more thoughts?
Old 02-24-04, 02:43 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Re: VVT-i

Originally posted by Patricia
Thanks for your response. Any more thoughts?
Yes, more thoughts...let them fix it for free, if you search around on this forum you will see that 99.9% of the GS (or other Lex owners) are completely satisfied with their vehicles. You might just have a case of bad luck (considering your Volvo lemon). However, I assure that the Lexus reliability and quality is unmatched by any other vehicle manufacturer. There is a post somewhere here with a “major problems” poll. The majority of users posted very minor if any problems, even on higher mileage GS’s, which is rare for any car type. Enjoy your car, you have a nice, reliable (99% of the time), good looking car.
Old 02-24-04, 03:14 PM
Patricia
Driver School Candidate

Default VVT-i

Originally posted by SilverLexo
Yes, more thoughts...let them fix it for free, if you search around on this forum you will see that 99.9% of the GS (or other Lex owners) are completely satisfied with their vehicles. You might just have a case of bad luck (considering your Volvo lemon). However, I assure that the Lexus reliability and quality is unmatched by any other vehicle manufacturer. There is a post somewhere here with a “major problems” poll. The majority of users posted very minor if any problems, even on higher mileage GS’s, which is rare for any car type. Enjoy your car, you have a nice, reliable (99% of the time), good looking car.
Thanks for your insight.