Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part Throttle Hesitation. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-03, 09:00 PM
genyosai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Throttle Hesitation. Help!

Hope someone else has had this problem and knows the fix. I have a 93 SC300 5speed with 156,000 miles on it. Recently it started hesitaating, like misfiring or "bogging", during part throttle. For example... taking off in 1st gear would jerk like a bad clutch engagement "unless" I revved really high. Cruising on the highway with the gas barely depressed was smooth, but then give it just a touch of fuel and you could feel the car hesitate. Try rolling into my neighborhood slowly in 2nd gear, gas slightly depressed would sputter.

Anyway, I replaced the cap, rotor, and plugs as well as cleaned the throttle body. Put the car all back together, drove it and no more hesitation. On the way back home I stopped for fuel. After filling up... the hesitation was back "and" the car was idling at about 1200rpm. Get the car home, shut it off, removed the valve coverplastic trimmings to check the wires, all are tight. Left the covers off, cranked the car, the car starts instantly and the idle is normal. Reve it just a little, and the revs stay at 1200rpm. Sprayed some more tb cleaner, directing more towards the idle speed sensor port... went for a drive and the stalling/bogging is gone again. However, the idle is now at about 1100rpm.

any ideas? I've heard the tp sensors act up when the weather is warm, but wouldn't this also be true once the engine heats up if that were the case? I'm thinking it's the idle speed control, but I really don't know. Wish the car would throw a code. Checked the codes using the climate-control trick and I get a 21 and 23. Neither of which I think would cause this kind of issue.

Thanks,