Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nakamichi stereo, no audio out for subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 02:54 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nakamichi stereo, no audio out for subwoofer

My original Nakamichi unit that came in the car has a dead subwoofer output on the back of it. Pins 1+5 on the connector with only 4-5 wires. I got replacement unit off eBay but it has the same problem. My sub amp and sub works great if I put an audio signal on those two wires so I know the problem is in the head unit. Anybody ever seen this before or found a fix. For the stereo knowledgable, does the stock Nak radio have a LPF on the regular audio channels. I am at the point of just splicing one of the front channel signals into the wiring for the sub but I have no idea if I will actually see the frequencies I need on that. Cracked open both my JDM radio and USDM one, no signs of failed components anywhere and I am at a loss. Hell even if you have a good head unit you wouldn't mind selling I want to keep this car mostly original and the stock stereo sounds decent without bass, with the sub I am betting its pretty good, lol.

Alternate request, assuming I can't get it working does anybody know where I can get a radio install kit that is at least modifiable to use with a nakamichi system? I know metra sells one for the pioneer but it looks like its only 3 connectors and doesn't cover the subwoofer either. I have a damn mint 1991 Soarer, I refuse to cut wires on it, lol. I wanted a turbo timer for lazy and I bothered to track down the HKS install harness just so I wouldn't have to cut any wires there. If it exists I will find it, just gotta know what I am looking for, lol.
Old 01-31-17, 02:55 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Also just a friendly FYI for folks. Nakamichi head units ARE interchangeable across the pond. Connector order is different but everything plugs in and works.
Old 02-01-17, 05:32 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm close to pulling the Nak system out of my 92. Fronts are pretty dead but the rears and sub seem fine. I'm about a week away from pulling the system. I also live in Ontario, close to Toronto.
Old 02-03-17, 08:29 AM
ErikSC4
Driver School Candidate

Default Nakamichi hardware

Hey man,

I just got a whole new system put in my '96 SC400. I still have the factory Nakamichi amp and head unit. I'd be willing to sell them to you for the low. The amp's rear speaker output is messed up but maybe you could use them for parts. let me know.
Old 02-08-17, 12:56 PM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Don't need the amp, but I would be interested in the headunit,
Old 02-08-17, 01:08 PM
ErikSC4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoarerTara
Don't need the amp, but I would be interested in the headunit,
Just shot you a message.
Old 01-30-18, 05:58 PM
Tpug91
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 Lexus LS 400 HELP!!!!!

I'm trying to hook a system up in my 2000 Lexus LS400 so far I have the Kenwood double DIN head unit Rockford Fosgate amp into Rockford Fosgate P2 punch 10s. I cannot find a wiring harness for my car and have been told that it has to be hardwired is that true because if so that is going to cost me a lot of money and I rather get a wiring harness but Crutchfield does not carry one I've called AutoZone Advance Auto Parts Walmart Best Buy every place in my area that I can think of and I cannot find one my car has the premium Pioneer sound system or Nakamichi whatever its called I don't know if I need an amp Bypass or what I don't know anything about hooking up stereo equipment for cars I am a body man so I'm lost when it comes to this can anyone help me thank you