Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any known way to tighten up a loose/drooping SC300/400 factory rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 11:21 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts
Default Any known way to tighten up a loose/drooping SC300/400 factory rear view mirror?

Hey everyone,

A while back I replaced my original factory SC mirror with a 1997+ auto-dimming OEM mirror. I ended up replacing all the little bearings and springs in the suspension assembly in the mounting arm. The internal rotating ball upon which the mirror pivots was not quite as tight as my original mirror but it was all right at the time I installed it a few years ago.

Now, however, any time I am on the highway or any marginally rough road surface the rear view mirror cannot hold it self in place for long once adjusted. It quickly begins to droop to the point that it becomes totally unusable and readjusting it only provides a few seconds of viewing before it points downward again.

Does anyone know a good way to service this looseness in the pivot-ball section and tighten it up again? I hope my only recourse isn't to have to replace it with a brand new one or a generic aftermarket mirror but I need to do something as it's now become a safety hazard. Everything else is fine including the LCD surface, auto-dimming function and the manual dim on-off switch.

Thanks all. I looked around for threads on this but I didn't find much specifically addressing Toyota/Lexus rear view mirrors. I know our SC's use a rear view mount similar to what is used in the ES, RX and LF-A but I'm not even sure if those rear view mirrors pivot similarly to cross-reference any repair methods.
Old 11-29-16, 09:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

One of my mirrors came with black mastic goop (like for the plastic liners on the doors) helping hold it snug to the mounting bracket. It wouldn't be the cleanest solution to your pivot, but smushing a bit in there once adjusted where you want would surely help with the looseness.
Old 11-29-16, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

at least its just the rearview mirror, my vette's passenger side view mirror droops at high speed... so annoying can't even reach it to fix it while driving.

sometimes there is a screw to tighten it up somewhere on the side of the pivot ball, look for plastic covers to remove.
some aren't adjustable, I haven't messed with the SC one before.

If you have to replace it check out one from the IS I think it has the compass also (lots of lexus models do including RX).
Old 11-29-16, 12:42 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Hmm. t2d2, I noticed that my car's original mirror had been partly glued in place at the windshield mount when I first attempted to remove it. That ended in a cracked and replaced windshield along with the mirror and mountint parts. The pivot ball wasn't glued, however. I'd like to tighten something if possible.

Ali, you're saying an IS250/350 rear mirror will bolt on without physical modification to the mount? It will probably require +12V Switched power routed from somewhere in addition to the constant power source harness already in the headliner, correct?

I've also looked at a basic Gentex aftermarket mirror ($90) that has just the auto-dimming function but I do not know if it will bolt up to our SC windshield mounts. Gentex is the original supplier that made all Lexus auto-dimming mirrors in the late 90's.
Old 11-29-16, 01:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

No I don't think it will bolt on, it will probably have to be retrofit in there. I thought it was as simple as having the mount part on your windshield unglued and then glue on the mount from the donor car, and whatever wiring, but I could be wrong on that one haven't done it. are you sure the harness is constant 12v? seems like it should be a switched 12v or the dimmer would be powered constantly. I think cars that came with home link have a constant 12v but have no idea whats in the SC to be honest.
Old 11-29-16, 02:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
at least its just the rearview mirror, my vette's passenger side view mirror droops at high speed... so annoying can't even reach it to fix it while driving.
That would drive me bonkers, probably to the point that I'd intentionally clip a mailbox and knock the $@%# think off.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Hmm. t2d2, I noticed that my car's original mirror had been partly glued in place at the windshield mount when I first attempted to remove it. That ended in a cracked and replaced windshield along with the mirror and mountint parts.
They actually glued it? Yuck. I was thinking just gumming it up to make it hold solid but not be permanently affixed in one position.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
No I don't think it will bolt on, it will probably have to be retrofit in there. I thought it was as simple as having the mount part on your windshield unglued and then glue on the mount from the donor car
That's how it's normally done unless you get lucky with the same mount having been used on both. Gluing a new mount on is easy, but getting the old one off can be tough. Probably best to take it to a glass shop for that.