Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help with reshimming valve bucket procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 08:20 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Need help with reshimming valve bucket procedure

I need to reshim because I had the machine shop cut all the valve seats and valves due to an exhaust valve leak. I am going to put in some BC 264 cams.

I read that that you should not turn the cam shaft independently to check the clearance if you're running big cams (bend valves). I was thinking turning the crank to 60 degree so there is room in the cylinder.

Lastly, if anyone had use that toyota shim adjustment tool, how do you use the little tool to keep the bucket down? (after you twist using the scissor tool to push the bucket down)

If anyone had experience can help me that would be awesome.
Old 10-17-16, 06:47 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ross3857
I need to reshim because I had the machine shop cut all the valve seats and valves due to an exhaust valve leak. I am going to put in some BC 264 cams.

I read that that you should not turn the cam shaft independently to check the clearance if you're running big cams (bend valves). I was thinking turning the crank to 60 degree so there is room in the cylinder.

Lastly, if anyone had use that toyota shim adjustment tool, how do you use the little tool to keep the bucket down? (after you twist using the scissor tool to push the bucket down)

If anyone had experience can help me that would be awesome.
bump for the answer.... Not much info out there on shims with big cams. I have the BC 270/272 cams and I've got a shim out just a titch that's causing some noise up to at idle.
Old 10-18-16, 08:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

You can always do it the old fashioned way, start by removing the spark plugs so its easier to crank over...
part 1: Throw the timing belt on @ TDC, pop belt tensioner in, turn the crank to rotate and take all your measurements...
part 2: rotate crank to TDC, pop out belt tensioner, slip belt off cam gear(s), pop out cam(s), shim and then repeat part 1 to check and then part 2 if you need to readjust.
You need a large c clip or press to get the hydraulic tensioner back to ready position along with a pin to keep it in place.

If your timing belt is already on, you don't have to disassemble everything either, I just pop out the tensioner from below, and that will give you enough slack to get the belt off the cam gear, then I use a large clip and clip the belt up so it wont fall down. then after making adjustments just slip belt back on and pop in tensioner from below, saves the headache of taking everything off the front of the motor... unless you drop the belt that is lol.

As for doing it the way you are saying @ 60 degrees, it might be enough but I am not 100% as I haven't done it before. probably worth a try.
I doubt you will bend valves if you are turning it by hand cause you should feel resistance if they were to contact.
Don't use a breaker bar lol

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-18-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-19-16, 06:54 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Personally I would remove the timing belt and remove the spark plugs. You can use an extension and rotate the crank until all of the pistons are far enough away from the valves where you can push down on the valves without doing any damage to them so you can rotate the cam shafts to take your measurements.

Steve K.
Old 10-20-16, 10:02 AM
SoarerTara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yhea, valves are not that wimpy, if you bend them by hand, you forced the cam to turn when it was obviously hitting something. Don't use a 3 foot breaker to spin the cams and you wont bend any valves. You can also easily just use a screwdriver down the plug hole to make sure the engine is not at TDC and prevent any potential contact at all.
Old 02-08-17, 06:56 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you wanna rev high go shimless, its hard to explain how to use the tool but you put the little part on the side pushing the edge of the bucket on both sides so it keeps it down then remove the scissor looking thing. 264 on a none vvti wont come close to touching the pistons with the valves ull be okay.
Old 02-09-17, 02:35 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I do mine with cams in , just get the Toyo tool that clamps around the cam and as you rotate it on cam it pushes the bucket down and you use second part of tool to wedge in between so you remove first part of tool then use small pick to pop shim up and magnet pulls it out .. so much faster then cam removal