RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Valve seal rope trick gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 07:31 AM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve seal rope trick gone bad

Wanted to start by thanking all of you who write the articles that help me keep my Rx300 on the road.
Well changing my valve seals, swapping the rear valve cover to a Rx330, water pump and timing belt job going on.
Found out my compressor cant hold the valves up to insert the valve seals. Thankfully it didn't drop to far so I decided to go with the rope down the spark plug tube. First cylinder went ok all 4 seals. 2nd cylinder went ok until I tried to remove the rope. It is hung up inside the cylinder and won't come out. Tried moving the crank forward and back while pulling but it is stuck.
Lexus Guru's please help. What could it be hung up on and suggestions on how to remove it.
Old 01-09-19, 07:50 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Are all your valve springs together in that cylinder?
Im thinking maybe a valve was hangning low enough for an opening that a piece of the rope got stuck in there.
So when you installed the valve spring, it pinched the rope.
Old 01-09-19, 08:36 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Never heard of this so I searched around a bit. Does this help:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/44-sm...ck-remove.html
Old 01-09-19, 11:13 AM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Never heard of this so I searched around a bit. Does this help:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/44-sm...ck-remove.html
thank you very much for looking that up there was a lot of good information I should have thought about that but I was thinking about pushing the car off a cliff a little bit more
Old 01-09-19, 11:14 AM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Are all your valve springs together in that cylinder?
Im thinking maybe a valve was hangning low enough for an opening that a piece of the rope got stuck in there.
So when you installed the valve spring, it pinched the rope.
I was trying not to pull things apart again but it sounds like I should and see where it's hung up inside thank you for the information
Old 01-09-19, 04:37 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I dont know much about the rope trick, but if it is stuck, you can estimate the depth of the stuck point is to twist the rope. The twist action reduces the diameter of the rope. The farther the binding point, the more twist it will take.

Salim
Old 01-09-19, 05:21 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robinsryde
I was trying not to pull things apart again but it sounds like I should and see where it's hung up inside thank you for the information
Not sure how thick the rope you used.
But i still think it got pinched by a valve.
Before you go pulling the head, if all your valve springs/shims are put together, install your cams.
Then rotate the cam till you see it opens the valves.
(T-belt off the cam gear)
Both intake and exhaust.
One then the other.
Start tugging on the rope and see it it frees up.
Obviously you have to make sure that the piston #2 is at BDC (Bottom dead center) to avoid bending some valves.
If all the above suggestions fail, BURN it..!
Just kidding. 😆
Old 01-10-19, 03:20 PM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

The rope is multi strand 3/8 inch poly rope. So the compression from twist may no be a whole lot but it is worth a shot. heading back into the garage tonight. Thank you
Old 01-10-19, 03:23 PM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

My rope is 3/8 poly. I am on the middle cylinder and have one more in the front to go so putting cam back may be easier than pulling each spring from the 4 lifters and doing it by hand. The valve keepers were not playing well with me even with the tool. Thank you
Old 01-10-19, 03:41 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Poly rope, slippery.
Nayss, should be able to just slide that out once its free.
Im sure you’ll get it out.
Keep us updated.
Old 01-16-19, 10:18 AM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Poly rope, slippery.
Nayss, should be able to just slide that out once its free.
Im sure you’ll get it out.
Keep us updated.
SO THE ROPE CAME OUT. Way to much time spent on the rope but the lil sob finally came out after removing the springs on 2 of the valves and moving them up and down while moving the piston and twisting the rope. That 3rd arm came in handy, thank you pesticide spill. So I didn't drop the valves onto the piston thankfully but just a word of advice. Make sure the strands on the rope you use will not open up if you twist the rope. I had 2 ropes. First rope first cylinder I used was closer to a very thick poly clothes line but was very flimsy and I had to use a chop stick to insert it into the spark plug 1/4 - 1/2 inch at a time. 6 feet ended up going in which took forever. Well "BIG BRAIN" here decided I needed a firmer rope to help insert it into the cylinder which is why I used a firmer 3 strand poly rope. Well the rope strand must have opened a wee bit and looped the valve. Not good considering this is the first time doing a valve seal job and the cylinder is laughing at me while 4 more wait on deck to take a swing at the wannabe mechanic.
ROPE IS OUT 3 HOURS LATER and I finished the front now to the back where I am not sure how I am going to use the spring keeper removal tool (the one that you use a hammer) on the back since it is on such an angle toward the fire wall. This new revelation makes me think pulling the heads off would have been much smarter.
Old 01-16-19, 10:43 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robinsryde
SO THE ROPE CAME OUT. Way to much time spent on the rope but the lil sob finally came out after removing the springs on 2 of the valves and moving them up and down while moving the piston and twisting the rope. That 3rd arm came in handy, thank you pesticide spill. So I didn't drop the valves onto the piston thankfully but just a word of advice. Make sure the strands on the rope you use will not open up if you twist the rope. I had 2 ropes. First rope first cylinder I used was closer to a very thick poly clothes line but was very flimsy and I had to use a chop stick to insert it into the spark plug 1/4 - 1/2 inch at a time. 6 feet ended up going in which took forever. Well "BIG BRAIN" here decided I needed a firmer rope to help insert it into the cylinder which is why I used a firmer 3 strand poly rope. Well the rope strand must have opened a wee bit and looped the valve. Not good considering this is the first time doing a valve seal job and the cylinder is laughing at me while 4 more wait on deck to take a swing at the wannabe mechanic.
ROPE IS OUT 3 HOURS LATER and I finished the front now to the back where I am not sure how I am going to use the spring keeper removal tool (the one that you use a hammer) on the back since it is on such an angle toward the fire wall. This new revelation makes me think pulling the heads off would have been much smarter.

Woot..Woot..!
Hope you had a six pack after that ordeal.
Glad you came out on top.
You showed them. Lol.

I’ve always used compressed air to pressurize the chamber.
Just need a strong compressor to keep pressure up.
Old 01-16-19, 05:44 PM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

I started with air pressure onlt to find out my new compressor just didn't have enough power. That was a separate day by itself. Thankfully I have a few vehicles cause this weekend job is in overtime now. But happy to say I am able to replace old hoses and other lines that are rotting from New England winters so the Lex is getting a little tuck job. Thanks to all of you out there. Thanks again