Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Clutch for stock sc300 - LUK, AISIN, M - Pact?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 01:01 PM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which Clutch for stock sc300 - LUK, AISIN, M - Pact?

It's time to replace the clutch finally on my stock 93' SC300 and Rockauto seems to have quite a few choices - Looking for suggestions on clutch brand for replacements. Not looking to do any motor upgrades in the future. Anyone have any feedback? Thanks!
Old 08-08-16, 04:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,224 Likes on 859 Posts

I think this depends on one's driving style, however for a stock 2JZ-GE engine the Aisin clutch kit (which is the same as the one used in the NA Supra 5-speed) is fine. Even the stock flywheel.

I was not aware that LUK made a clutch kit for the W58 cars. Not sure what the word is on how good they are in our W58 application but LUK is a good company in other applications, including some parts for the V160 6-speed transmission.

For a comparison, look for the stock W58 Aisin clutch kit on Driftmotion but it is probably the same thing at around the same price.

On my stock 2JZ-GE engine I ran an ACT Stage 2 full face clutch which was good but with a heavier pedal feel. I'm not sure there was an advantage to running it on a stock engine.

Personally I think the factory Aisin clutch kit and factory flywheel are best for a stock GE engine application and no additional power.
Old 08-08-16, 04:50 PM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I think this depends on one's driving style, however for a stock 2JZ-GE engine the Aisin clutch kit (which is the same as the one used in the NA Supra 5-speed) is fine. Even the stock flywheel.

I was not aware that LUK made a clutch kit for our cars. Not sure what the word is on how good they are in our W58 application but LUK is a good company in other applications, including some parts for the V160 6-speed transmission.

For a comparison, look for the stock W58 Aisin clutch kit on Driftmotion but it is probably the same thing at around the same price.

On my stock 2JZ-GE engine I ran an ACT Stage 2 full face clutch which was good but with a heavier pedal feel. I'm not sure there was an advantage to running it on a stock engine.

Personally I think the factory Aisin clutch kit and factory flywheel are best for a stock GE engine application and no additional power.
Thanks for the feedback KahnBB6! Did you upgrade/change your flywheel or did you get it resurfaced?
Old 08-08-16, 08:45 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,224 Likes on 859 Posts

When I had the W58 transmission I did not upgrade my flywheel. I just had the OEM flywheel resurfaced. You always want to resurface when installing a new clutch.

I did some research on aftermarket flywheels but I did not see the benefit of going lighter. The SC's are heavy cars and it helps to have the weight of the stock steel flywheel for better drivability. A daily car with a stock NA engine... even if you have an upgraded suspension, brakes, and even an LSD... doesn't need a lightweight flywheel. The stock flywheel also resurfaces many more times and is more durable. In a track car or other racing application with a boosted engine a lightweight flywheel makes more sense.

On some Hondas, Miatas and other much lighter cars lacking in torque it can help. The 3.0L inline-six makes plenty of torque compared to those types of cars.